Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM

177 posts, read 365,452 times

Advertisements

Pretty straightforward question here on Valentine's Day---How long did it take for you to say it to your SO or for them to say it if they said it first?

My second question is how did you handle it when someone has said it to you, but you did not feel the same?

My last two boyfriends each took about three months to tell me they loved me. I was not quite ready to say it back either time. With my previous boyfriend I said it a few weeks later and with the current one I'm not sure those feelings would ever be there. I told him I needed more time but now that I've had time to think about it, I probably could have handled that better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM

633 posts, read 724,141 times
Not really the type to say it since my family is not really mushy and not really showy of our feelings. The first time I had someone say it to me and I say it back though was in my 40s with my now husband when he was trying to get in my pants while we were cuddling in his couch. We have been dating for a month only then.

I did not give in though. We just said I love yous that day. I did gave in few days later.

My problem now is I can't stop saying I love you to him every chance I get.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
15 minutes. I don't screw around.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
3 months.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
I was 25. My husband said it to me first around our 6 month mark. We were up in one of the VIP rooms at a megaclub in NYC. He had his back against the wall while I was in his arms looking out the window, watching the crowd down on the dance floor when he whispered into my ear his feelings. Ok, he probably had to yell it because the music was so loud. Either way, the feeling was mutual.

Prior to that I had one boyfriend tell me how much he loved me...after I had broken up with him (we were together for a little over year while in college.) He continued to pursue me for a number of years afterwards and he would tell me his feelings for me. It broke my heart because he was a nice guy, but the feelings weren't there on my end so he never heard those words from me.

In general, I'm not an emotional person, so you won't hear me tossing out the L-word so easily. I can kind of be a cold-hearted b*tch.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
depends on how much she charges and her tip list

Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redallen View Post
Pretty straightforward question here on Valentine's Day---How long did it take for you to say it to your SO or for them to say it if they said it first?
Two months After the first time it was said, we said it to each other very frequently thereafter, and each and every time was as magical as the first "ILY"...

Quote:
My second question is how did you handle it when someone has said it to you, but you did not feel the same?
With one exception (I felt the same way, so it was great), no one else ever really said it back, to me...so no real basis for comparison...

Quote:
My last two boyfriends each took about three months to tell me they loved me. I was not quite ready to say it back either time. With my previous boyfriend I said it a few weeks later and with the current one I'm not sure those feelings would ever be there. I told him I needed more time but now that I've had time to think about it, I probably could have handled that better.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
My last relationship took a few months, and it was after having sex.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Out of my main 3 relationships - I can't remember how long the first one took, the second one accidentally let it slip out after a few months, the third one (my husband) accidentally let it slip out after about a month or maybe less than a month. I don't think any of them planned on saying it. When the second one let it slip out - it was in front of other people so we didn't bring it up until a few days later. When my husband let it slip - it was hysterical - at first he tried to take it back because he thought it was too soon - and then he wanted me to say it back to him. Which I did because I already knew I was in love with him!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,630 times
We started out LDR so I said it around 4 months into it on the phone. I was kind of suprised by her reaction, she kind of chuckled and said "oh the L word".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships