Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The very nature of online dating also seems to encourage a lot of female "fussiness", mostly because online women just get way more action then online men (kinda like jobs that get way too many applicants). Which was recently confirmed in this interesting experiment.

Cupid on Trial: A 4-month Online Dating Experiment Using 10 Fictional Singletons
The experiment... How many unsolicited messages do men get compared to women? And what difference does their physical attractiveness make to each man and woman’s success? Some of the results:

• The most contacted woman had almost 17 times more messages in a week than the most contacted man.

• Three of the men had no messages, despite their profiles being viewed about 25 times between them.

• The women’s messages outnumbered the men’s 17 to 1 (mostly thanks to the two best looking women).

• The two best looking men received 5 fewer messages than the 3rd and 4th best looking women.

• Even the least attractive women received more messages than all but the most attractive male!
And yet, we have women on this forum who are attractive, but who don't get any messages at their online dating profiles. The above doesn't seem like a thorough study, or there's more to it than meets the eye. Did it focus on a certain age range? Was it a free site, or a paid site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And yet, we have women on this forum who are attractive, but who don't get any messages at their online dating profiles. The above doesn't seem like a thorough study, or there's more to it than meets the eye. Did it focus on a certain age range? Was it a free site, or a paid site?
Wondering that too. While I got many messages not as many as I did much younger. What the men I think need to realize is that while they complain about the women getting more messages many aren't what I consider quality messages. For instance I still have a profile up (been meaning to delete it)and half the messages are men just being nasty or sexual. This was true on Match, CatholicMatch but especially the free sites (which of course anyone can join).

Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Wondering that too. While I got many messages not as many as I did much younger. What the men I think need to realize is that while they complain about the women getting more messages many aren't what I consider quality messages. For instance I still have a profile up (been meaning to delete it)and half the messages are men just being nasty or sexual. This was true on Match, CatholicMatch but especially the free sites (which of course anyone can join).
Do you always use the same sort of screen name as you do here?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM

350 posts, read 383,787 times
Quote:
Not sure if you mean me, but yes I tried CatholicMatch and had a couple of men really ask sexual questions. The sick thing was one of the men claimed to be very devout and protested at abortion clinics yet asked me very sexual questions and asked for a nude photo. This same clown then emailed me this horrendous book about women and submission. Met a nice guy on this site but he lives 6 hours away and over 10 years younger. The rest were just as creepy as the other sites. When I met this guy and the other guys I met (on various dating sites)I was very careful. I drove myself and met them at the mall's food court. I then parked where it was close to the door and easy to get out of the mall if need be. I had a few problems but with being as careful as I am it made a few men not want to meet me. Looks like I am done with online dating due to many reasons (good and bad but mostly good) but if I was to try it again I would be just as careful.
I was out with a chick this evening who said the same thing about guys talking about things like this and acting like they're in a relationship already. I told her the story about the chick 5 years ago who thought I might be gay because I wasn't talking like this. Who raised these people?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is why I always go for coffee date. I don't do movie or dinner on the first date. It only takes 20 minutes to finish a cup of coffee, if I am not interested, I can make up some excuses and leave.
I'm convinced these days that a first date is not a good predictor of "yes". The only thing a first date is good at is telling you when the answer is "no".

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Do you always use the same sort of screen name as you do here?
No something else. I use different names on different sites.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon of Truth View Post
I was out with a chick this evening who said the same thing about guys talking about things like this and acting like they're in a relationship already. I told her the story about the chick 5 years ago who thought I might be gay because I wasn't talking like this. Who raised these people?
It was creepy these guys asking these questions. I think a few thought we were already in a relationship because they were talking about our future.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Exactly. When I go on a movie date I like to hold hands and like knowing I like him. Going to the movie on a first date (unless of course you already know each other)doesn't leave a lot of time to talk either. That's why even if a meeting turned into a date next time I wouldn't even do a movie then. Instead I would do something that was cheap and had an opportunity for talk.
Don't agree and don't agree with chicks having such a hangup about movies these days. What did you do in high school? Didn't any of you go to movies with friends? What's so intimidating about going to a movie with a friend you just met? It's just another activity among a series of activities ... holding hands, not holding hands ... you people are simply too mechanical about things.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon of Truth View Post
Don't agree and don't agree with chicks having such a hangup about movies these days. What did you do in high school? Didn't any of you go to movies with friends? What's so intimidating about going to a movie with a friend you just met? It's just another activity among a series of activities ... holding hands, not holding hands ... you people are simply too mechanical about things.
For me it's because movies can get expensive and I'd rather do things that involve talking early on. I went to the movies a lot as a teen but mostly the cheap ones (third run)and most of the theatres are gone.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
For me it's because movies can get expensive and I'd rather do things that involve talking early on. I went to the movies a lot as a teen but mostly the cheap ones (third run)and most of the theatres are gone.
Everybody says that these days and to me it smacks of another one of those "rules" people pass around and treat as gospel. Like I said, people are too mechanical. Just go and enjoy ... whether it's a movie or a walk in the park. You don't have to make out with someone just because you see Lincoln together. Geessh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships