Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times

Advertisements

I don't believe one represents another

Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 PM

52,251 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Yeah, I don't think one thing has to do with the other.....

Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
While the divorce rate is around 50% for an average couple, the divorce rate is 5% for couples who wait till marriage.

I think fewer sexual partners make better marriages. If you are used to treat sex like it is nothing, then what is stopping you from having sex with someone else when your marriage hit a rough spot?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
While the divorce rate is around 50% for an average couple, the divorce rate is 5% for couples who wait till marriage.

I think fewer sexual partners make better marriages. If you are used to treat sex like it is nothing, then what is stopping you from having sex with someone else when your marriage hit a rough spot?
Is there a source for that? I googled it and could only find 'abstinence' blogs that purported that statistic.

I think waiting for marriage is completely silly and I wouldn't marry someone without having sex with them first.

Having multiple sexual partners doesn't mean a person is going to cheat.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Is there a source for that? I googled it and could only find 'abstinence' blogs that purported that statistic.

I think waiting for marriage is completely silly and I wouldn't marry someone without having sex with them first.
This is the study I am talking about 5% divorce rate for people who wait until marriage for sex - INTJ Forum
Here are some other ones Premarital Sex and Greater Risk of Divorce - Focus on the Family

Waiting till marriage is not silly if you care about the high divorce rates.

Quote:
Having multiple sexual partners doesn't mean a person is going to cheat.
One interesting quote from the study The Social Organization of Sexuality: Sexual Practices in the United States
Additionally, "Those who marry as non-virgins are also more likely – all other things being equal – to be unfaithful over the remainder of their life compared with those spouses who do marry as virgins."

Last edited by Camlon; 04-21-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 01:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
This is the study I am talking about 5% divorce rate for people who wait until marriage for sex - INTJ Forum
Here are some other ones Premarital Sex and Greater Risk of Divorce - Focus on the Family

Waiting till marriage is not silly if you care about the high divorce rates.
One is a discussion forum and the other is Christian website.

First of all - there are no accurate statistics for divorce rates. There just aren't. Secondly, what do you think Christian websites are going to say? And lastly, I would say that the majority of people that wait until marriage are probably very religious. And divorce is pretty much unacceptable for most very religious people as well. This doesn't mean that the marriages are happy or healthy - just that they would be shunned by their friends and family if they got divorced.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:00 PM

297 posts, read 502,596 times
Here's an article that cites a study that found multiple sex partners was a risk factor for infidelity.

The Causes Of Infidelity In Marriage | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 04-21-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
One is a discussion forum and the other is Christian website.

First of all - there are no accurate statistics for divorce rates. There just aren't. Secondly, what do you think Christian websites are going to say?
Don't shoot the messenger. They are talking about actual studies that you can search for.

And it is not very hard to figure out divorce rate. Just ask couples if they waited till marriage and if they are divorced or not.

Quote:
And lastly, I would say that the majority of people that wait until marriage are probably very religious. And divorce is pretty much unacceptable for most very religious people as well. This doesn't mean that the marriages are happy or healthy - just that they would be shunned by their friends and family if they got divorced.
Some are religious, others are doing it for other reasons. Outside America and Europe it is not uncommon. And the divorce rate is significantly lower.

In my belief many divorces are not due to them being incompatible. I see a lot of divorces happening between couples who are not really that unhappy with each other, but one person cheats, the husband loses his job, lack of effort to work on the relationship, or because the husband/wife wants to have sex with another woman/man.

Maybe it is the case that people who wait till marriage are more faithful, and if people who are not faithful did it, then it wouldn't work. But by waiting till marriage, then you attract faithful women/men.

With the 50% divorce rate and the bad consequences of divorce, then I don't see waiting till marriage as a silly choice.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
One of the linked articles on LiveScience also had this:

"[study] found that couples tended to be matched in their level of sexual experience prior to their relationship. That is, individuals with relatively high levels of sexual experience tended to pair with others of high levels of sexual experience, and so on.

Furthermore, the more similar the couples were in terms of their prior sexual experience, the higher their satisfaction and commitment to the relationship."

Conversely - perhaps - mismatched experience levels may mean less commitment and greater propensity to stray.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:07 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:

Looking at my older brother who has been married for a long time...He was a nerd and married a nerd..I think that his wife had one other sexual partner and he may have had two...Where myself on the other hand had 100 partners - three common law wives - and the last wife for 27 years...and did I cheat on the last one....only a few times. My brother is more successful than I and lives a good stable life- go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships