Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:44 PM

93 posts, read 234,434 times

Advertisements

I have a very good job, very high income, go to the gym regularly, etc., and thus I try to avoid asking women what they do for a living and when was the last time they went to the gym. I VOLUNTEER these information about myself if the conversation goes well but not near the beginning of the conversation when I first meet someone. And if the woman feels like it she can than volunteer the same information about herself. Asking those kind of "putting people in the spot" questions show poor conversational skill - that you don't know what to talk about besides the usual usual "so what do you do for a living?". The point is give the person the option of volunteering the information. If a woman asked me about what I do at the beginning of the conversation and I answered that truthfully, I would wonder if the reason the woman keeps talking to me is what I do for a living, or that she really finds me an interesting person to talk to.

Yes what I do for a living is a big part of who I am, but so is someone's past relationships, and other personal stuff. And if you were a woman you certainly would not feel comfortably if a guy asked you too many personal questions within the first 15 minutes of a conversation. "Wanting to know more about you" is no excuse.

Agin it goes back to conversational skill, and whether you can find interesting things to talk about besides giving people the "interview".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 02:50 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
I think the best thing for me would be that a person offended by a question as simple as "What do you do for a living", would turn me down. I'd hate to have to spend whatever amount of time worrying about saying the wrong thing.

I've walked on eggshells before. Won't do it again.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:59 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You clearly lack reading comprehension skills. F'ing people, man.
What leads you to believe that I lack reading comprehension skills?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:27 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
I have a very good job, very high income, go to the gym regularly, etc., and thus I try to avoid asking women what they do for a living and when was the last time they went to the gym. I VOLUNTEER these information about myself if the conversation goes well but not near the beginning of the conversation when I first meet someone. And if the woman feels like it she can than volunteer the same information about herself. Asking those kind of "putting people in the spot" questions show poor conversational skill - that you don't know what to talk about besides the usual usual "so what do you do for a living?". The point is give the person the option of volunteering the information. If a woman asked me about what I do at the beginning of the conversation and I answered that truthfully, I would wonder if the reason the woman keeps talking to me is what I do for a living, or that she really finds me an interesting person to talk to.

Yes what I do for a living is a big part of who I am, but so is someone's past relationships, and other personal stuff. And if you were a woman you certainly would not feel comfortably if a guy asked you too many personal questions within the first 15 minutes of a conversation. "Wanting to know more about you" is no excuse.

Agin it goes back to conversational skill, and whether you can find interesting things to talk about besides giving people the "interview".

POST OF THE DAY

Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post

What sorts of things do you generally ask early in a conversation with a total stranger? Aren't you more likely to use the boilerplate stuff (job, where you grew up, family stuff, etc.) on the phone than at a bar/starbucks where you can have some situational topics (the game, what is on TV, do you like this band/song etc.)?

When someone asks me about career, education, etc. I think I can usually tell if it's them sizing me up as opposed to getting to know more about me (in a less 'keeping score' type manner).

Old 04-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
What sorts of things do you generally ask early in a conversation with a total stranger? Aren't you more likely to use the boilerplate stuff (job, where you grew up, family stuff, etc.) on the phone than at a bar/starbucks where you can have some situational topics (the game, what is on TV, do you like this band/song etc.)?

When someone asks me about career, education, etc. I think I can usually tell if it's them sizing me up as opposed to getting to know more about me (in a less 'keeping score' type manner).

If it's during the first five minutes then most likely they are sizing you up.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:28 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
"What do you do for a living" is a great way to screen out guys with paranoid delusions.

If he interprets it as me having ANY INTEREST AT ALL in how much money he makes, then I know we are not compatible. But if he understands it as curiousity about how he spends the majority of his waking hours, what led him to his current field, what he likes and doesn't about it, what he wants to do with the rest of his life, then we're on the same page.

Last edited by NilaJones; 04-27-2013 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: i don't want to be that guy

Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
"What do you do for a living" is a great way to screen out guys with paranoid delusions picked up from PUA sites.

If he interprets it as me having ANY INTEREST AT ALL in how much money he makes, then I know we are not compatible. But if he understands it as curiousity about how he spends the majority of his waking hours, what led him to his current field, what he likes and doesn't about it, what he wants to do with the rest of his life, then we're on the same page.

What he wants to do with the rest of life? That's a "under the blanket" question

Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
What he wants to do with the rest of life? That's a "under the blanket" question
Really? Guys always ask me on the first date.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Really? Guys always ask me on the first date.

I would have to had to already make out with a woman who ask me that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships