Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
This is basic small talk. The Q about where you see yourself in 5 Y is from an HR screening interview and would strike me as odd. I wouldn't recommend that guys ask women if they live alone within a few minutes.

Your recommended questions aren't any less boring or better (or worse) than the others. They're part of the standard boiler plate stuff you ask when talking to a stranger. If the conversation is going well, it will become more specific and your conversations will improve over time.

These sorts of questions, while they can be annoying, aren't going away. They're common when meeting new people, so hope you can engage them enough to lead to less generic conversation.

Question about someone's job is boring in the first 10 mins because I just started talking to you. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

If I walked outside right now and approached a girl on the street walking out of a bookstore do you think I will ask her what do you do for a living?

No instead it would be questions like

"How often are you in this area?
"Find any good books today?
What do normally like to do on saturdays?

She would think I was weird and judgmental if she came out and said.........."what do you do for a living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 02:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm going off of my own experiences. When those questions have been asked, it quickly dies out from there. Unfortunately, (or maybe not?), I don't have great work stories of pissing off Spike Lee, (that would be awesome to hear), so after I answer what I have done, they might have a few questions, but then they seem not to know how to continue. Even when I worked for a cruise line, or as an airboat captain, I have a ton to talk about in regards to those jobs, have plenty of experiences...but once the thrill of, "zOMG, you were around alligators?!?!!?" wears off, they don't seem to know what else to say even when I ask them questions.

Then it goes on to, "So, what do you like to do for fun?"

There's nothing wrong with questions, I just find some of them to be off putting because, in my experience, I AM being judged and they don't get much further than that.
I can understand. I guess what I would do is turn the conversation back around to them or volunteer something more interesting about myself. The thing is - they don't know you - so they have to start somewhere. If you know what you want to let them know - then steer the conversation that way. Like I said - nothing has to be a conversation killer.

About Spike Lee - well, I didn't recognize him and he breezed past the front desk with out acknowledging me at all. At the gym I worked at - everyone had to have their card swiped at the front desk or check in for their appointment. It was an upscale gym so it's not like we just let people walk in willy nilly. So, I asked him for his membership card. He said he didn't have one. I asked him if he worked here (I thought maybe he was a massage therapist or something - we also had a spa at the gym). Well, that really pissed him off! He then sort of yelled at me, "I'm a member here and I have an appointment at the spa!" I was about to ask him his name so I could check the appointment list when my manager leaned in my ear and whispered, "That's Spike Lee, honey." By that time, he had already gotten to the elevator (he never stopped walking away from me during the whole conversation) and he got in and closed the door! Ahhh... memories...

Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If I walked outside right now and approached a girl on the street walking out of a bookstore do you think I will ask her what do you do for a living?

Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
Maybe, just maybe, people have different interests.

I, for one, couldn't care less what someone's favorite food is. If I have to ask that question, things are going horribly wrong.

LMAO

Meta on the phone with WestPhillyDude:
"Soooo . . . if you could be a vegetable, which one would you like to be?"

*wishing there was a ditzy smilie face icon*

Old 04-27-2013, 02:22 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I can understand. I guess what I would do is turn the conversation back around to them or volunteer something more interesting about myself. The thing is - they don't know you - so they have to start somewhere. If you know what you want to let them know - then steer the conversation that way. Like I said - nothing has to be a conversation killer.

About Spike Lee - well, I didn't recognize him and he breezed past the front desk with out acknowledging me at all. At the gym I worked at - everyone had to have their card swiped at the front desk or check in for their appointment. It was an upscale gym so it's not like we just let people walk in willy nilly. So, I asked him for his membership card. He said he didn't have one. I asked him if he worked here (I thought maybe he was a massage therapist or something - we also had a spa at the gym). Well, that really pissed him off! He then sort of yelled at me, "I'm a member here and I have an appointment at the spa!" I was about to ask him his name so I could check the appointment list when my manager leaned in my ear and whispered, "That's Spike Lee, honey." By that time, he had already gotten to the elevator (he never stopped walking away from me during the whole conversation) and he got in and closed the door! Ahhh... memories...
What a jerk.

Spike. Not you.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
What a jerk.

Spike. Not you.
Yeah, he wasn't my favorite. He was really nice to some of the other staff - but probably the ones that kissed his butt. Brooke Shields though - was one of the sweetest, nicest, and most beautiful people I have ever talked with. Honestly, she had barely had any sleep and was drop dead gorgeous. TV/Film/Pictures do not do her justice.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:30 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Ah.... I see TVSG is back with the nonsensical threads........

Old 04-27-2013, 02:38 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
So when you get on the phone with someone for the first time the first thing that comes to mind to ask them is what they do for a living? It's so many more things to ask in the 1st 15 mins
Now, the pressure is on for anyone who might call you. At first, the other person couldn't ask the questions in the first 5 minutes. Now you're making them come up with an extra 10 minutes of exciting conversation before they can ask the boring stuff.

As I said before, it could be that some of the questions you don't like are being asked to "weed you out" before a lot of time is wasted. So while you are judging someone by the boring-ness of their questions, they are weeding you out by the answers you give. For example, if I met you on a dating website, asking you what you do for a living would be one of my first questions, because I doubt that I would be interested in a doctor who is at the hospital most of the day and night, nor would I be interested in a state policeman who could get shot any time he went to work.

Some one else said to make something up. That's lying and I don't agree with that. It isn't the best way to start a relationship with anyone. Period.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Question about someone's job is boring in the first 10 mins because I just started talking to you. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

"Find any good books today?
What do normally like to do on saturdays?

She would think I was weird and judgmental if she came out and said.........."what do you do for a living?
I guess it's so hard for us to understand because we are different people with different opinions.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Now, the pressure is on for anyone who might call you. At first, the other person couldn't ask the questions in the first 5 minutes. Now you're making come up with an extra 10 minutes of exciting conversation before they can ask the boring stuff.

As I said before, it could be that some of the questions you don't like are being asked to "weed you out" before a lot of time is wasted. So while you are judging someone by the boring-ness of their questions, they are weeding you out by the answers you give. For example, if I met you on a dating website, asking you what you do for a living would be one of my first questions, because I doubt that I would be interested in a doctor who is at the hospital most of the day and night, nor would I be interested in a state policeman who could get shot any time he went to work.

Some one else said to make something up. That's lying and I don't agree with that. It isn't the best way to start a relationship with anyone. Period.

I believe someone's occupation is already in their profile so it's really no need to talk about right away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships