Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times

Advertisements

Please stay away from these types of questions during the first 10 mins of a first conversation because the conversation boring and doesn't create any opportunities for laughing and pleasant phone talk

what do you do for a living?

Do you like it?

Where do u go to college?

Where do u see yourself in 5 years?

Do you live alone?

Do you drive?

All those questions give off a "JUDGMENTAL VIBE" and makes the conversation too scripted and boring.

Instead these questions below are the ones people should be asking to generate a light and fun conversation so the conversation can take off and move in the right direction.

So are ready for the spring season?

Do you prefer spring or summer?

How long have you been on the dating service?

Have u met anyone off there yet?

So are u nervous on 1st dates?

What are someone your 1st dates ideas?

What type of food do u enjoy eating the most

Have you been this restaurant?

What do u do in your spare time?

See how all those questions would make a conversation fun and enjoyable and then u can eventually lead into what someone does for a living. I am so tired of hanging up on women for asking me dumb questions in the 5 mins like I being evaluated.

MAKE IT FUN CONVERSATION!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
All those questions give off a "JUDGMENTAL VIBE" and makes the conversation too scripted and boring.

Instead these questions below are the ones people should be asking to generate a light and fun conversation so the conversation can take off and move in the right direction.

See how all those questions would make a conversation fun and enjoyable and then u can eventually lead into what someone does for a living. I am so tired of hanging up on women for asking me dumb questions in the 5 mins like I being evaluated.

I'm all giddy

Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Totally agree.

(btw, men ask boring and judgmental questions too. It goes both ways)

At the end of the day though, you can't worry about it. If someone dismisses you so early because of something you said or didn't say, then so be it.

Also, I would never ask a guy what his 1st date ideas are or what he does in his spare time. That is something I feel you should find out about each other over time and he will volunteer that info naturally and when he wants to.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Some things you just want to know. Yes they are awkward when your answers aren't great. Or make you feel bad about yourself.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Some things you just want to know. Yes they are awkward when your answers aren't great. Or make you feel bad about yourself.

You can know but why not develop a rapport first?

Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
I'm all giddy
Yes, and my heart is a flutter!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
I guess you would have hung up on me then, because I don't think of asking about someone's job as being judgmental. I think of it as showing interest and finding something to talk about.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? That is a question for a hiring manager. LOL A person can envision one thing or have a particular goal, but that doesn't mean that life is going to let that happen. Five years ago, I thought that, at this point, I was going to be happily married - or at least still happy with the same guy - and wowzers, was I wrong.

If you are getting asked some of those questions (that you don't feel comfortable with), maybe the caller is cutting to the chase, not wasting her time either. I would wonder why someone doesn't drive, but I wouldn't think to ask the question. I realize that I shouldn't assume anything, but that's what I would have done - assume that the other person knows how to drive.

I'm actually surprised that asking about having met someone IRL from a dating site or being nervous on 1st dates wouldn't seem somewhat intrusive. It wouldn't bother me, necessarily, I'm pretty open to talk about anything, but I know someone who would think those questions aren't anyone's business. *shrugging*

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I guess you would have hung up on me then, because I don't think of asking about someone's job as being judgmental. I think of it as showing interest and finding something to talk about.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? That is a question for a hiring manager. LOL A person can envision one thing or have a particular goal, but that doesn't mean that life is going to let that happen. Five years ago, I thought that, at this point, I was going to be happily married - or at least still happy with the same guy - and wowzers, was I wrong.

If you are getting asked some of those questions (that you don't feel comfortable with), maybe the caller is cutting to the chase, not wasting her time either. I would wonder why someone doesn't drive, but I wouldn't think to ask the question. I realize that I shouldn't assume anything, but that's what I would have done - assume that the other person knows how to drive.

I'm actually surprised that asking about having met someone IRL from a dating site or being nervous on 1st dates wouldn't seem somewhat intrusive. It wouldn't bother me, necessarily, I'm pretty open to talk about anything, but I know someone who would think those questions aren't anyone's business. *shrugging*

All the questions about someone's job can be discussed during the 1st conversation but just not in the first 5 mins.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:39 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
All the questions about someone's job can be discussed during the 1st conversation but just not in the first 5 mins.
And do you let the other person know this? Do you tell the other person, "Look, questions concerning X, Y and Z are off limits for the first ____ minutes of our conversation"? Am I understanding correctly that it could be a good conversation, but if the questions come at the wrong time, you will lose interest?

Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM
M45

405 posts, read 654,276 times
Quote:
Please stay away from these types of questions during the first 10 mins of a first conversation because the conversation boring and doesn't create any opportunities for laughing and pleasant phone talk

what do you do for a living?

Do you like it?

Where do u go to college?

Where do u see yourself in 5 years?

Do you live alone?

Do you drive?

Questions that put anyone on the "spot" are not only rude, but out of place as well.

You should be warming things up, not "snooping" for answers that you DEMAND!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships