Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times

Advertisements

I've been blonde, brunette, and currently I'm a red head. I haven't noticed a lot more attention from guys based on my hair color. Most guys have their preferences I guess. My hair is naturally dark brunette, so though I liked being blonde it was too much work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 AM

17 posts, read 36,845 times
I'm also a natural redhead (copper/deep auburn) and hated all the attention my hair received growing up, so as a teenager I dyed it blonde. I thought this would solve my problems. My hairstyle and makeup mirrored "Kelly Bundy" from MWC. My family was devastated beyond belief over ruining my hair. I pulled off the look until I started telling people I was really a natural redhead..no one believed me and made comments like "why on earth would you ruin your beautiful hair?". I turn 18 and realize its time to go back (by the way, natural red hair is very difficult to bleach blonde!). It took a long time for my real color to shine through, but the bottom line is....I received WAY more attention as a natural redhead then a blonde. My theory is people pay attention to things they do not see all the time. I've only seen a handful of women sharing my color (Angie Everhart or Julianne Moore) and add the figure to the mix only brings more uniqueness-petite with very fit hourglass. My father took a pic with a Ms. Budweiser at some event that was probably the closest to my twin. Natural redheads are an acquired taste-we are not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

Dark Brown - A more somber, mysterious, serious color that seemed to attract more serious minded people to me. When I was blond, guys would want to buy me a beer and start telling me dirty jokes. When I was dark brown, I was offered scotch and asked about what I thought about the economy.
This is hilarious! What a fascinating experiment overall! Thanks for posting, CUBS! You should publish this in a women's magazine.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times
Not really hair color but I notice I got a lot more attention when I had very long hair, versus shoulder-length or shorter.

Also a huge difference when I stopped wearing glasses and started contacts.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:44 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I believe men associate platinum blonde hair to women we perceive as being very sexual, such as Marlyn Monroe, Pamela Anderson, Anna Nicole Smith, and pretty much every other blonde that has ever been in Playboy Magazine.

It's probably why the expression "blondes have more fun" was created.

Dying hair blonde is the equivalent of getting a breast enhancement.

It sends out a message of sexuality
Who knew? So, you're saying that men have been conditioned to associate blonde hair with sex? How Pavlovian of them.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I am thinking of posting a photo of my new blonde hairdo on a dating site and see what responses I get. I probably won't though because I love Taco Man.
Amazing. What a hypocritical, narcissistic thing to think about doing.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Not really hair color but I notice I got a lot more attention when I had very long hair, versus shoulder-length or shorter.
Mine's currently a couple of inches below my shoulders which is about as long as I let it get before it drives me nuts and I chop it off. I like it a little shorter but when I mention to my guy friends I'm chopping it off, they act like I'm taking away their favorite toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
On a side note, I recently did a DNA test for my genetic heritage.
I would love to do this. My family tree has me as Scotish, Italian and English, yet my last name is German and my genealogy research has yet to definitively prove where exactly this comes from. (I blame my temper on my heritage).

My hair is naturally a dingy, mousy dark brown. I started going grey at 21 so Miss Clairol has been my friend for awhile now. I look best with the auburn shades (pale skin, green-actual green, not hazel) eyes). I've been going with Natural Dark Auburn for awhile now and I still don't get any male attention. My mom went blonde once and I look enough like her to know NOT to go down that road! It was so not a good look for her.

I suspect in IDDY's case it could be the confident vibe men are responding to and not the hair color.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
No...my hair is a very dark brown and always has been, except for when I was a younger child, it had a reddish tint to it.

I could never have blonde hair, not ever. I couldn't even imagine it. The only issue I have with my hair right now is a streak of grey. Sometimes I cover it, sometimes I don't. Right now it is not covered. I always ask my SO if it makes me look old and he tells me, "No, it makes you you."

He doesn't seem to mind it... I just refer to it as my superhero streak..... lol

Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who knew? So, you're saying that men have been conditioned to associate blonde hair with sex? How Pavlovian of them.
I'll let the following answer your question:

Why do men find blonde women so very attractive? | Ask Carole, evolutionary agony aunt | Science | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
Blondes do not seem to have lost any of their popularity since the end of the last ice age. Research suggests that blondes feature more often as Playboy centerfolds than they do in women's magazines, and the percentage of blondes in each type of magazine exceeds the base rate of blondes in the normal population.7
Encyclopedia of hair: a cultural history p 149

Quote:
Some women who have lightened their hair say that becoming blond made them feel more fun-loving and light-hearted and that other people expected them to be that way.
Blond hair also may be associated with certain sexy or seductive traits. In one of her many physical transformations, singer and actress Madonna bleached her hair .... [snip]

In this case, blondness was used to communicate blatant sexuality

Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, they (euro men) associate it with youth since blond hair grows in darker as people age. And since men are sexually attracted to youth, they are naturally sexually attracted to blond hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships