Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Intellegence, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. And in both cases, through effort, improvements can be made. I'll take someone with a good and kind heart over the other attributes. Who wants a beautiful and intellegent person that is a selfish self-centered SOB. Attractiveness has many aspects to it.
Intelligence is NOT in the eye of the beholder. It is measurable. Yes if you are stupid, dating fellow stupid people will help. But you are still stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Unfortunately I think plenty of men would have no problem using her for sex and arm candy, but when it comes down to marrying her, they will not be interested.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
No sweat. I understand the internet provides us with a means of being umm not nice from behind a curtain. This brings out the true nature of the online community without any real consequence.

I was just ribbing you, I promise! Guess you don't really know me to know that though. I figured it was a typo but as far as typos go, it was a good one

Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Intelligence is important. Arrogance I can do without.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Some people don't understand that there are all kinds of different "intelligence." Some are measured by standardized tests. Even then, its not unusual for some males to score an 800 on an SAT math section, but only 500, which is average, on the verbal. So is he smart or average? Depends on your point of view.

Some people are intelligent in music. That will not show up on a standardized test. I've known many men that are mechanical geniuses. I'm nowhere close to their talents. They're intelligent, but again, it's not going to show up on a SAT. In my experience, very intelligent people often have great handicaps in other areas. So my advice is, don't be so quick to reject someone based on one limited criteria.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:05 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Intellegence, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. And in both cases, through effort, improvements can be made. I'll take someone with a good and kind heart over the other attributes. Who wants a beautiful and intellegent person that is a selfish self-centered SOB. Attractiveness has many aspects to it.
I'm not sure the issue is intelligence, here. Isn't it more about what is important to each of them? There are lots of jokes about "dental assistants". I loathe dentists, I love dental assistants.

In my long life, I've learned much more about life and love from "beach blondes" than Ph.D-holders.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:42 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Never too stupid in my book!
if I could start my life all over again , heck, I would have done the opposite of the OP's friend, I would have eagerly dated that woman!
As I am getting older I realize more and more that beauty doesn't last very long, so it's important to have a partner who will be striking when you meet him (or her) so when that person will be middle aged she will still have some good looks!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
One day while walking with a friend of mine, we run into a woman we both know. She's beautiful, slim, fit, blonde so I ask my friend later why he doesn't date her. I can tell she likes him and she has guys seeking her out all the time. He goes "Sorry man. She's very beautiful. It's a shame she's stupid. I need a woman I can have an intelligent conversation with." Now she's not a moron. She actively eats healthy and keeps her body in shape with rigorous exercise. She doesn't have any known issues. She just doesn't know much about anything. She's clueless when most topics come up. Kind of like the stereotypical beach blonde. I just thought it was an interesting thing to hear someone say. She'll definitely find someone because she's beautiful but you rarely hear a man not wanting to date a beautiful woman just because of a lack of intelligence. I guess the question is what if every man only sought after intelligent women regardless of beauty?
You know why you don't hear it? Because this planet's clueless. We are evolving backwards. Stupid gets stupid.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:48 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Never too stupid in my book!
if I could start my life all over again , heck, I would have done the opposite of the OP's friend, I would have eagerly dated that woman!
As I am getting older I realize more and more that beauty doesn't last very long, so it's important to have a partner who will be striking when you meet him (or her) so when that person will be middle aged she will still have some good looks!

Are you serious? Beauty doesn't last long so get them striking when you meet them??? That's the conclusion you draw from that? That's the lesson? Not beauty doesn't last long so find someone with a personality you really like? Not that?

Have we gone completely brain dead? Is that what we're dealing with here? Just a completely shallow and brain dead society?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Are you serious? Beauty doesn't last long so get them striking when you meet them??? That's the conclusion you draw from that? That's the lesson? Not beauty doesn't last long so find someone with a personality you really like? Not that?

Have we gone completely brain dead? Is that what we're dealing with here? Just a completely shallow and brain dead society?
Lol. For some reason I find both posts hilarious. My shallow side kinda gets the first poster. I think he means we only live once and everyone's beauty eventually fades so you might as well date hot women while you're young and have her lose her beauty later. Otherwise you'll date someone average and watch them get that much worse without ever even dating a beautiful woman.

The other poster is wondering why the first poster didn't learn that beauty is only skin deep and it's better to marry someone for personality because in the long run beauty doesn't last forever. That when the beauty eventually fades you'll have nothing else if that was the only reason you married her.

I think the lesson depends on the personality of the person. If they will be happy as long as their wife was a fox when she was young then by all means marry a dumb hottie. If they will be happy with someone they have a special bond with then by all means marry a whale with a good personality. Ofcourse these are exaggerations as most people I'm sure want the best of both world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships