Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM

142 posts, read 432,229 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...

So, I laid awake last night, suffering from stress-induced stomach problems again, and thinking about the guy I’ve been seeing for the last 5 months... and I think it’s time I ended things with him. Honestly, I’ve been hyper-analyzing our “relationship” from the get-go, and I’ve realized that there’s really nothing to analyze... because there’s really nothing there.

He’s commitment-phobic, that much is obvious. Our relationship is primarily sexual, and our conversations are mainly surface-level topics. I don’t feel comfortable sharing my feelings and concerns with him, and he never asks me what I’m thinking... because, I’m pretty sure, he doesn’t care. We’ve known each other 5 months, but I feel like I don’t really KNOW him … and he certainly doesn’t know me.

He parties way too much, and his main social priority is spending time with his “boys.” I rarely see him on weekends, and when I’ve brought this up, he’s made excuses. Our “dates” are always the same routine - go out to dinner, chill at his place, have sex. It’s fun, but it’s nothing substantial. I’ve brought up doing other activities - going to the beach, checking out a street-fest - and he acts receptive, but doesn’t follow through.

Socio-economically speaking, we’re from different planets. His family is wealthy, and he’s well-off financially and career-wise. In fact, he has more money than he knows what to do with. On our last date, he was talking about buying a $2,500 outdoor TV for his deck, and a $15,000 classic convertible (even though he already owns a perfectly nice, practical car). Meanwhile, I’m struggling to make ends meet financially on my paltry secretarial salary. (I can’t even afford to take a weekend vacation to visit friends - yet he’s always jetting off to Colorado, Vegas, New York, etc.) My family is a mess … I won’t go into it, but I’m dealing with a ton of crap with my mother these days … I can’t relate to him at all.

He’s having a BBQ party this weekend at his place, and I told him I’d go. I’m going to play it cool while I’m there. He invited 50+ people, so I doubt I’ll get to spend any time with him. (Yet this was his answer to my “Let’s get together more often on weekends” question.) Beyond that … I think I need to tell him that I just can’t keep doing this anymore.

He’s never been a d-bag to me or done anything to “hurt” me, per se. It’s not his actions, so much as his lack of actions, that bother me. I’ve been freaking out about him since I met him, and my anxiety is starting to manifest physically. I have strong feelings for him, and I don’t want to hurt him, but he’s becoming literally bad for my health.

Any advice? Should I break it off or just chill out?

Here’s the entire saga, for those who are new to my dating drama...
Two great dates, but afraid I won't get a third...
A few questions (and maybe red flags)
Having the "relationship" conversation...
Dating Two Men at Once...
Too much vs. not enough communication... Is it me?
Afraid of opening up, discussing my past, etc.
Finally had the "exclusivity" talk...
So embarrassed... I got sick during last night's date...
RANT: Why do I get so nervous?!?!

(WOW! I've written TEN posts - including this one - about this guy. Obsessed much?! This isn't really my style, guys...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Read your post again. It included the answer already.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,629 times
You answered your own questions. You probably should have given up in the first month

Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Sweetie, if the dude's giving you stomach aches, it's not fun anymore. It's time to move on. Whatever you're looking for, you're not going to get it from him. And you're not going to hurt him because he's not that invested. You deserve better.

And for the record, I think I'd have to dump anyone who was going to spend $2500 on an "outdoor television." For real? That's just dumb. You're outdoors - why do you need a TV? Ok, yeah, I know I'm kind of Amish or whatever.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Sounds like something they have in the UK. It's called a GFE. Girlfriend experience. 'Cept they get paid for it.
Ps, not calling you names. I'm saying, from what I just read, that's exactly what it sounds like. No emotional investment, have sex at his pleasure, and after that, who cares about your feelings?

You should drop him like a hot rock. Scratch that, you should have already dropped him like a hot rock.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
JrzDefector's right oakparkV...when you love someone (and they love you) the feeling in glorious, like you're on top of the world...feels great...no waaaay should you be feeling stressed out and suffering...THAT is your answer oakpark... don't waste your time.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
I just read your reply to what I said in your post before this one, but I'll reply here. There's nothing wrong with communicating and letting him know you need more contact from him or it bothers you when he does this or that, but it just seems to me like you've spent most of the relationship not really sure where you stand or how this guy truly feels about you. It seems like you're the only one pushing things forward. I just feel for you because I've dated this exact kind of guy before where there you are months into dating and you aren't sure if the guy would even notice if you dropped off the face of the earth. It sounds like he has the perfect deal going on right now - he's not obligated to you in any way so he can make plans and do whatever he wants, but he knows when he wants female company and sex that you're going to be right there waiting for him.

As much as I hoped things were going to work out for you I just don't think this guy is going to be able to give you what you need to be happy in a relationship. You're getting physically sick from the stress of trying to figure this guy out. As much as you can tell yourself that you'll just pull back and wait it out, it's impossible when you care about someone to do that. Don't you want someone supportive you can talk to about your problems and your family situation? Not someone who makes you sick to your stomach? I think you know what to do.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 PM

805 posts, read 1,559,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
You answered your own questions. You probably should have given up in the first month
Can we get an AMEN!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:55 PM

246 posts, read 387,867 times
This guy sounds like some teen boys dream of a cool adult, like someone in a movie. A Vince Vaughn character comes to mind. Drop him! But ask yourself why you were ever attracted to him in the first place. It says something about you.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
You know you can't hold me forever
I didn't sign up with you
I'm not a present for your friends to open
This girl's too young to be singing the blues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships