Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,034,029 times

Advertisements

My wedding costs were the rings, cheap, and getting married at the courthouse. Just celebrated our 12 year anniversary. I have a realistic view of marriage and know that there's a 50% chance we can or can't make it so I didn't want a wedding. My sister who had a 30k wedding is divorcing after 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,100,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
1) Loans/credit cards

2) Parents pay for it

3) Some people CAN afford it.

No, getting married does not HAVE to cost that much. BUt $30K is the average for a wedding.
Say WHAT! 30G IS THE AVERAGE COST FOR A WEDDING! That's insane...I would rather spend that kind of money to build an addition on my house,newer boat,newer truck,save for a rainy day or ANYTHING other than **** it away like that.

I don't know anyone who has spent anywhere near that much on a wedding.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,815,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Say WHAT! 30G IS THE AVERAGE COST FOR A WEDDING! That's insane...I would rather spend that kind of money to build an addition on my house,newer boat,newer truck,save for a rainy day or ANYTHING other than **** it away like that.

I don't know anyone who has spent anywhere near that much on a wedding.
My sister's was $60k. Most people seem to be in the $20k to $40k range. I wonder what my friend paid in India. I went to it and it was 3 days long and was crazy huge. You cannot know this many people Nisha!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,029,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
This pretty much sums it up simply and accurately.

Sadly, I might add.... If you find yourself struggling/stressed about spending 30k/50K for a wedding, then either you or your parents are not at least middle to upper class.
Middle to upper class incomes can afford such weddings without excessive credit card debt.

And if you can't afford such a wedding, then scale it down.
Starting a marriage with 20K in wedding debt is not a good way to start a marriage.

There is always going to be the, "what do I want?" vs, "what can I afford?" issue.
Yep. And I would add that spending like you're middle/upper middle class when you're not greatly reduces the chances that you'll ever be in a better financial situation.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM

36,655 posts, read 30,967,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
It's not about affording something, it's about whether you believe that is a good way to spend money or not. For instance, I can pay $50k for a wedding in cash since I have more than that in savings...however, I don't want to spend more than $20k for a wedding + ring + honeymoon and that is ONLY because of societal pressure and my thoughts that I have not met a SINGLE woman who would not SCOFF at a $10k wedding.

IF I had my way I would spend $500 and get married in a courthouse, again, not because I do not have the cash but because I would rather spend it on my future children, on a house or other more important things in life. Makes sense? Or am I in the minority for thinking this way?
I dont know anyone who spent 50K on a wedding. I only know one person who spent as much as 10K on a wedding.
It dosent even cost 500 to get married. License cost what $100 at most then maybe a small fee for the official. Its your own fault if you cave at "societal pressure" or date material women.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,211,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No it does not. Find a woman who is happy with a small ring and wedding band, who don't mind getting married at the county courthouse, and who realizes it makes no difference where you go on the honeymoon anyway since you (if you are doing it right) will spend most of it in bed.

Have a big bbq in the back yard!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,390,349 times
Getting married does NOT have to cost that much. Our wedding was just under $10k. Wedding bands were under $500 together. My engagement ring was under $1000. We had a small and simple outdoor wedding with 50 guests. I think the reception with open bar was $8000. Oh and my wedding dress was less than $500, and I bought it off the rack - no bridal gown here. I also did not have a bridal party.

We could have done in much more inexpensively too, but I wanted to have a really nice dinner and drinks.

We also did not have a honeymoon.

To get married you do not *need* all of those things. Who *needs* a $5000 engagement ring. That's insane.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM

494 posts, read 1,919,295 times
what if one person wanted to get married at a courthouse and have a small ceremony at a restaurant etc. for a total of under $10k and the other wanted a more elaborate wedding spending $20-30k, do you think that couple would be incompatible financially and should not get married at all?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,474,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont know anyone who spent 50K on a wedding. I only know one person who spent as much as 10K on a wedding.
It dosent even cost 500 to get married. License cost what $100 at most then maybe a small fee for the official. Its your own fault if you cave at "societal pressure" or date material women.
It's not the actual wedding ceremony that's what's expensive, from what I've seen. It's the flowers and the open bar and the food and the band/DJ, etc. A lot of people want to throw a great party to celebrate, and great party can be pricey.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Wedding on a cliff overlooking the ocean in a private botanic garden in Maui
Photographer
Insanely good food (several courses)
Wedding cake
Booze
Limo
Celebrity uke player
Officiator
for 30 people = $7000

Better than any $30k+ wedding I have ever been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships