Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
i dont think she goes through my stuff, but as a friend sees my occasional updates etc etc. I dont have any passwords set, and usually stay signed in to my FB or email. I agree some things should be kept private, but i truly have nothing to hide, so im not going to start locking things up, espacialy that i dont think shes being nosy. Its really hard to explain, but it doesnt matter what I do, she seems to have a need to create these issues from thin air,as long as we can argue about it every 3 or 4 days and she can question my loyalty in the process.

If nothing at all happens, she then goes months back into the past, digs up something petty and overthinks/overanalyzes it to a point where it becomes a complete fantasy. For someone who has always been loyal, its extremely taxing and draining. Im beginning to question our future as a couple, if we cannot get over this.
You should be. There aren't enough positive qualities in the world that can make up for being insecure and distrusting for no good reason. Sadly, you can't get past it unless she actually wants to put the effort in to do so. IMO, the last time you argued about it would be the last time you argued about it.

Edited to add: I'm a firm believer that having problems like this doesn't bode well for the future. When first dating someone, you are usually putting your best foot forward, so if she's insecure and jealous from the very start, I don't see how your relationship is going to improve over time. You shouldn't be facing problems like this when you've not even been dating a year.

Last edited by Katnan; 07-03-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,270,137 times
Thanks liberty

Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Quote:
HI Friend. Yes, I have told her that exact thing on several occasions, and she seems receptive to it. In fact, every time we have an opportunity to talk this out, she tends to agree with me and see my point of view. The problem is that when new thing comes up, a few days later, we're back to square one. Its maddening and draining to have the same half hour long conversation, once a week.
Thanks for the updates -- I am very sorry to hear that You are giving her no reason whatsoever at all to doubt your faithfulness to her, so it is really quite unfortunate that she appears to be unable to give you the benefit of the doubt, and to trust you and take you at your word.

Just wondering, do you have any thoughts as to what might be the root cause that is making her feel unable to trust? (Maybe if you could successfully resolve the root cause, the underlying issue would go away after that?) Just for example, does she have a fear of being abandoned or forsaken, and did anyone in her youth for instance do this to her, so that she might be worried that you might potentially do the same thing?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Thanks for the updates -- I am very sorry to hear that You are giving her no reason whatsoever at all to doubt your faithfulness to her, so it is really quite unfortunate that she appears to be unable to give you the benefit of the doubt, and to trust you and take you at your word.

Just wondering, do you have any thoughts as to what might be the root cause that is making her feel unable to trust? (Maybe if you could successfully resolve the root cause, the underlying issue would go away after that?) Just for example, does she have a fear of being abandoned or foresaken, and did anyone in her youth for instance do this to her, so that she might be worried that you might potentially do the same thing?
The thing is, SHE has to resolve the root cause, she needs to be truthful with herself, look at herself in the mirror and be able to dig deep to figure out what's going on. No one else can do that for her. If they're having arguments about it twice a week, I'm not getting the impression that she's willing/capable of doing that. It's not his job to make her secure, but rather not make her insecure through his own words and actions. Her security needs to come from within first. When something is wrong internally, the solution isn't external.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
You handled the texting situation well. I seriously suggest getting rid of Facebook or completely stop being active on there. Since you haven't mentioned any other issues, she will be fine after that.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
My instinct tells me its a deep rooted issue from her childhood, but I couldnt begin to (nor is it my place to) start guessing what it is and how to overcome it, if thats even possible. I know that problems like this are very often deeply buried and very hard to recognize, not to mention overcome. I guess all I can do is standby her and continue proving my loyalty and trustworthiness with my actions. Will have a heart to heart this afternoon when I see her, see what happens.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I find it strange that you moved in with her. She must have pushed for that, not you.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM

805 posts, read 1,559,193 times
Yikes.
Yes, talk to her about it. Without her trying to work on this it will probably get worse sadly.
Does she admit she is insecure? Are you doing anything that would, in a reasonable person, sort of trigger insecurity?
I have a male colleague who married a woman with what seemed to be moderate insecurity. It worsened over time to the point that she won't even go, as a family, to Disneyland because she says he will be looking at the woman who are wearing shorts, won't go on vacation because he might see someone he wants to get to know...it's really nuts.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You handled the texting situation well. I seriously suggest getting rid of Facebook or completely stop being active on there. Since you haven't mentioned any other issues, she will be fine after that.
I would get rid of it no problem, but i think it would prove counter productive to working this out, long term. I have nothing to hide there from anyone, or anywhere else for that matter. Im an open book to those closest to me, at whatever cost.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,578,260 times
Quote:
I believe she has some deep rooted issues that are causing this, and i even told her she needs therapy, but it doesnt come accross very sincere during an argument, even if it actualy is. Im just trying to analyze my part in this, and if there is anything to make her feel more reassured.
A lot of women periodically get this way.....they are far more emotional than men in general. Doesn't mean she needs counseling or is necessarily insecure. On your part I can detect a slight pleasure derived in her concerns. Let's face it, it's nice to be sought after and wanted but she doesn't see it that way and given your track record the concerns could be legitimate to her. I've been in the same boat and I'll usually give her a rundown, ( a list, if you will ) of what I could be doing i.e barhopping, hoeing around, hooking up with exes, etc and what I am actually doing like staying loyal, not going out, being true. Some reassurance usually quells it for awhile and as time goes on she'll probably be less concerned about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships