Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 AM

896 posts, read 1,179,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The fact is almost nobody, male or female, dates across class lines. At least, not seriously. And I think the higher one looks on the income ladder, the more rigid the class lines are drawn. No one likes to admit this, but most people want a partner who whose income will enhance their own standard of living. Economics is a huge, albeit rarely spoken, consideration when people are choosing long-term partners.
That isn't true at all, men typically value looks over class and will happily date a gorgeous waitress. Women on the other hand don't like dating down.

To the OP, you need to stop leading with your job on dates. Limit it to 2 sentences then change the subject. Why are you evewn sharing with them that you have a good retirement plan, good health insurance? That stuff comes up after you have been dating for long enough to talk about long term commitment.

I earn 3Xs the money of the man I am currently dating. He does not know that nor does he need to know at this stage. I don't flaunt that I earn enough to have a "certain lifestyle" as you put it. But then again I don't want a "certain lifestyle" so that isn't what I do with my money.

Or of course you can try dating men who have a "certain lifestyle" too... but I am guessing those guys don't want to date you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,661,536 times
Quote:
The fact is almost nobody, male or female, dates across class lines. At least, not seriously. And I think the higher one looks on the income ladder, the more rigid the class lines are drawn. No one likes to admit this, but most people want a partner who whose income will enhance their own standard of living. Economics is a huge, albeit rarely spoken, consideration when people are choosing long-term partners.

I agree with you-as usual.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,946,094 times
Camlon was dead on target.

"""The problem with the DC thinking is that high earning women think they deserve a high earning husband just due to their high income.
The problem is, rich men are not exclusively looking for rich women. That means many rich men are already taken by lower income women, and the ones who are left have plenty of options. Smart rich women do not exclude men who earn less than them.
The women in DC have been taught that if they wait, then Mr. Perfect will knock on their door. Of course due to their too high expectations he will never come and they will end up single.""""""""""""""""""

Maybe you could consider evaluating men on other things besides the size of his paycheck. But I know that in this materialist culture, that's just asking too much. Based on the OP's post, is it any wonder most men think that women's number one priority in seeking a man is the size of his wallet.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,815,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
To the OP, you need to stop leading with your job on dates. Limit it to 2 sentences then change the subject. Why are you evewn sharing with them that you have a good retirement plan, good health insurance? That stuff comes up after you have been dating for long enough to talk about long term commitment.
That's easier said than done in this area. I was just talking to a co-worker yesterday about this... the first thing out of people's mouths in this area (DC area) is usually, "Where do you work" or "What do you do?" Even on dates! This place is so uptight and career driven. It's just common here. And if the OP works for any of the big companies or the government, things like retirement and health insurance are almost common knowledge.

Personally, I can't wait to move out of this area. The only reason I stay is because the schools in Northern Virginia are some of the best in the country... and my Ex lives in the area (which makes co-parenting easier).

Quote:
The women in DC have been taught that if they wait, then Mr. Perfect will knock on their door. Of course due to their too high expectations he will never come and they will end up single.
I don't think so. It's pretty much common knowledge (or at least has been reported on several times) that the DC area is one of the few places where single women outnumber single men. Here is an article on incomes, gender, with a hint at dating (for reference) http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...e-dc-area.html.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,312,851 times
Quote:
I date across class lines. It's really not a consideration for me since I never plan to marry or have children. It opens up my dating pool of men exponentially.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,212,894 times
There is no such thing as male goldiggers. No man is going for date a woman he has no real attraction to for her economic situation.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
There is no such thing as male goldiggers. No man is going for date a woman he has no real attraction to for her economic situation.
You don't really believe that - do you?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,815,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Well, if you go to the threads where some guy is saying all men want younger women and all women want way older men the topic of cougars and cubs comes up and then they are called male gold diggers.

In all seriousness though, never say never. There are all kinds of people out there with all kinds of motives. Not everyone in a particular sex thinks and feels the same. There are men out there (just like there are women out there) who will use people for money.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,228,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
That isn't true at all, men typically value looks over class and will happily date a gorgeous waitress. Women on the other hand don't like dating down.

I earn 3Xs the money of the man I am currently dating. He does not know that nor does he need to know at this stage. I don't flaunt that I earn enough to have a "certain lifestyle" as you put it. But then again I don't want a "certain lifestyle" so that isn't what I do with my money.

Or of course you can try dating men who have a "certain lifestyle" too... but I am guessing those guys don't want to date you.
Men will happily screw the waitress, who they marry is a different story.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM

896 posts, read 1,179,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Men will happily screw the waitress, who they marry is a different story.
Waitresses get married to men every day, are you saying that they don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships