Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pena View Post
I suppose the difference is that I actually care about the guy. Yes my confidence has decreased since being with him and I blame him sometimes, but I do care for him. He’s been good to my family and me in a lot of other ways, including my mom’s battle with depression.
I will share a story about a buddy of mine OP and I hope you take it to heart. My best friend had a child at 23 or 24, to a woman that was a pretty unfit parent to her first child. They tried to work on their relationship for about a year, but she rather strip to make money than create an honest living for herself. My friend was young and made a mistake with the wrong woman. While she was pregnant, she would drink and take recreational drugs from time to time. She was doing this while my friend was out of town at college. He dropped out of college and moved back home once he found out she was stripping.

Since she was on drugs, their child has developed some mild to severe developmental issues. He'll never be able to live by himself. After she and my friend didn't work out, my friend ventured out and started dating. What he found out rather quickly, is a lot of 23-24 year old women, who didn't have kids, weren't ready to settle down with someone who had a child. He later on found a woman who was going through a divorce, had a child the same age as his son, and her husband was cheating on her and had a drug issue.

What people fail to realize is no matter how good you can sell yourself as a human being, there's some issues that we deal with that push certain partners away from us and attract other partners near us. My friend had to make a choice if he wanted to marry her or not. He ended up marrying her, but he also married her insecurities and baggage from her prior relationship. She married into having to adjust to living with a disabled stepson and a lot of baby mamma drama.

Could they have done better then each other? Yes. Did they really want to wait around for however long to meet someone better? No. Some people take what they can get, because it suits them for where they are in life at that moment. That's clearly what you have done with your relationship. What happens with all relationships is that people change and sometimes you change with your spouse and sometimes you don't. The dynamics of a relationship change often enough and it takes work to keep them working to where emotional and physical needs are being met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pena View Post
I have been with my fella for nearly a decade. We get along great and love each other very much, however we have never had much of a sex life.

I am a very sexual person but he almost tries to make me feel ashamed about it rather than encourage me. He will make remarks if I'm wearing something that he thinks is too revealing and makes fun of my tummy, which is a little flabby.

I enjoy being with him but I miss sex and have no desire for it with him. He doesn't make me feel wanted physically in any way. I am not attracted to him. I am not sure I ever have been. I enjoy companionship and I have a tendancy to be dependant on others for my happiness. I know how unfair that is on all parties.

That's not to say I haven't tried - the last time I tried to kiss him passionately he pulled away and laughed like I was being silly.

He is my best friend and I'm scared to lose him, but I can't go on like this. Every year I promise myself THIS will be THE YEAR I end it, but it never happens. My 20’s are already gone and I am 31 now. I don’t want to wake up at 50 one day and realise I’ve wasted my life on a passionless relationship.

Please help.
How can anyone out here help? You're the only one who can dump him--as you should.

When you meet someone who wants and enjoys sex as much as you do, you'll ask yourself what you were thinking in staying with him for so long.

Not for nothing, but he sounds like a bit of a douche. He mocks your sexuality and criticizes your body? Sorry, "best friends" don't do that. Aholes do. Get rid of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships