Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreMA View Post
ive never heard him talk of a special woman in his life (or man for that matter) and at first i tbougbt he was just very private; but after four years Im thinking this co-worker is gay....the guy is about 56 and his only interest seems to be golf once a week and then a drinkfest after with his buddies at the club what do you think gay or no gay?

My first thought was...if bottom rung at the workplace (applies to most guys who fit the description here), probably straight..but if he plays golf it sounds like he has at least a middle class job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then you haven't read the post you quoted this time or my response to the poster.
I've read your posts, though you're now making me start to regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Misogyny is not an asset.
I agree completely. Please show me where I said or even implied otherwise.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My first thought was...if bottom rung at the workplace (applies to most guys who fit the description here), probably straight..but if he plays golf it sounds like he has at least a middle class job.
Most guys who are single and childless in their 50's are at the bottom rung of the workplace? I'm glad I don't work in your field. In my experience the bottom run is more likely to be the people who got married and/or had kids too early, which set back their education and career. I agree that this guy sounds more middle-class or higher (based on the golf, the club, and the fact that a woman wants to set him up with her friends), but none of this has anything to do with his sexual orientation.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM

37 posts, read 73,814 times
It's not anyone's business. He is who is.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Most guys who are single and childless in their 50's are at the bottom rung of the workplace? I'm glad I don't work in your field. In my experience the bottom run is more likely to be the people who got married and/or had kids too early, which set back their education and career. I agree that this guy sounds more middle-class or higher (based on the golf, the club, and the fact that a woman wants to set him up with her friends), but none of this has anything to do with his sexual orientation.

The type I'm referring to are concentrated in low-end service jobs, so you're unlikely to meet them in your field - you won't find them on a golf course, for example, or in a sales meeting. Single + childless +50s (over 40, more broadly) + no sign of ever having dated or been married + low-end job and income. The vast majority of gay men will fail to meet this set of criteria by dint of having better jobs and higher incomes.

Last edited by freemkt; 09-10-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
ive never heard him talk of a special woman in his life (or man for that matter) and at first i tbougbt he was just very private; but after four years Im thinking this co-worker is gay....the guy is about 56 and his only interest seems to be golf once a week and then a drinkfest after with his buddies at the club what do you think gay or no gay?
I think you are waaaaaaaaay out of the intelligence box for sure.

You haven't had a date in weeks...YOU a lesbian??!!

This is the dumbest thread on CD!!!!!

Get a life and leave the guys business' out of you life!!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The type I'm referring to are concentrated in low-end service jobs, so you're unlikely to meet them in your field - you won't find them on a golf course, for example, or in a sales meeting. Single + childless +50s (over 40, more broadly) + no sign of ever having dated or been married + low-end job and income. The vast majority of gay men will fail to meet this set of criteria by dint of having better jobs and higher incomes.
Those are the types of jobs I'm talking about, actually. Those jobs tend to be filled by people with low levels of education, and that group tends to have children at a younger age. I would find it unusual to see a childless mid-50's man in that type of job, unless you're talking about someone with a developmental disability or something else that kept him from "getting laid" at a young age. Of course, they may not have custody of their children or even be in touch with them, but that's another story.

When I think of a straight man who was intentional about not having children (which is likely the case if he hasn't had any by that age unless he's infertile or the 55-Year-Old Virgin) I think of someone who was more focused on their education, career, traveling, etc. Poor and uneducated people are far more likely to crank out kids early and often.

I find it interesting that you think gay men have better jobs and higher incomes than straight men. Do you have a source for data that shows that? That would surprise me, given the discrimination that is still out there. (In many places it's even still legal.) I realize there are plenty of rich gay men and plenty of poor straight men, but wouldn't expect that to be the trend on average.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Those are the types of jobs I'm talking about, actually. Those jobs tend to be filled by people with low levels of education, and that group tends to have children at a younger age. I would find it unusual to see a childless mid-50's man in that type of job, unless you're talking about someone with a developmental disability or something else that kept him from "getting laid" at a young age. Of course, they may not have custody of their children or even be in touch with them, but that's another story.

When I think of a straight man who was intentional about not having children (which is likely the case if he hasn't had any by that age unless he's infertile or the 55-Year-Old Virgin) I think of someone who was more focused on their education, career, traveling, etc. Poor and uneducated people are far more likely to crank out kids early and often.

I find it interesting that you think gay men have better jobs and higher incomes than straight men. Do you have a source for data that shows that? That would surprise me, given the discrimination that is still out there. (In many places it's even still legal.) I realize there are plenty of rich gay men and plenty of poor straight men, but wouldn't expect that to be the trend on average.

Yes, you're on the right track. There is a small subset (maybe around 1-2 percent?) of heterosexual men who tend to be poorly employed, at low wages, and never get laid, or even get dates, although many attended college. These were identified by a professor named Brian Giilmartin, who 'studied' samples of college students and nonstudents. He came up with the term "love-shy" and put his findings - and a lot of other crap he imagined, e.g. his book has a section positing some sort of astrological connection. I stumbled onto Gilmartin's book 20 years ago in the stacks of a college library. The short version is that this group has extreme social deficits which detract from success in virtually all aspects of life, and, yes, I think it is a developmental disability, likely caused by childhood neglect and failure to bond, first with mother, then with peers. The child starts out developmentally behind his peers, and as they advance, he is left further and further behind, and the possibility of catching up becomes more and more remote.

I don't think gay men have better jobs than heterosexual men, it's just that the so-called love-shy tend to have particularly bad jobs. Gilmartin suggested that for this group, the choice of college major (preferably STEM) is "infinitely more important" than getting a 4.0 average in the "wrong" major (humanities, English, liberal arts)

My guess is that Gilmartin observed among his students the traits which describe his typical love-shy, and, not finding anything helpful in the existing literature, decided to do his own research. I observed this type as a college student - first the co-op roommate of a friend, then co-workers at restaurants and similar workplaces, but had only a vague concept of it before reading Gilmartin's book.

What keeps them from getting laid, or even dating, is a neurotic inability to initiate with women - it's not that they are getting rejected, they're not even trying. Of course, this problem almost always gets worse with age; their most hopeful years - if they only knew at the time - are in high school and college, after that it's all downhill, if that's possible to go downhill from zero. Nobody begrudges an 18-year-old dishwasher in school, but it wouldn't do a 40-year-old dishwasher any good to ask for a date even if he magically could, because by that time, he's become an automatic reject.

For those familiar with the "2 Stupid Dogs" cartoon series (one season, 1992-93, rerun for some time after on Cartoon Network), see the episode "Love Doctors" for a spot-on depiction of a love-shy kid. Heck, even if you've never heard of 2 Stupid Dogs, this cartoon is hilarious.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7u...ve-doctors_fun

http://www.amazon.com/Shyness-Love-C.../dp/0819161020

Last edited by freemkt; 09-11-2013 at 02:35 AM..

Old 09-11-2013, 04:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
You definitely need a hobby or a psychiatrist.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I have a friend who is gay, but is not out at work or with his family (he's from the kind of family that has charitable foundations and buildings named for his grandfather.) He thinks no one suspects, but he's a fussy, well-dressed man in his 40s who's never been married and is devoted to his dogs. I imagine that people could do the math if they were so inclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships