Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times

Advertisements

This is the BS single people have to deal woh. Leave the man alone. Not everyone's aim in life is to marry & procreate. It's 2013, not 1953.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Maybe he's just given up on women. Maybe he's happy with his life the way it is.

I have a friend in his late 50s... he was married at one point and his last girlfriend was over 10 years ago from what I can tell. He doesn't date and doesn't have anyone in his life. We are good friends and I know a lot about him. He's certainly not gay--I do know that he's just been hurt too many times (and too deeply) by some very cruel women in the past and doesn't want to go though that again.

It's a shame, he's a good man too. When we go out as friend, he treats me like a date in a lot of ways... but we aren't dating. I can honestly say I would fall for him if there was a chance. He's got all the qualities I find attractive in a man. But he's been too damaged by other women in the past to even give me a chance. It sucks, but I don't blame him for guarding his heart.

Anyway, my point is. I wouldn't set up your co-worker unless he says he's looking. And don't assume just because a man isn't seeing anyone that he's gay. He might just be happy where his life is.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM

76 posts, read 127,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreMA View Post
OMG YOU GUYS NEED TO CHILL! i simply have actually three different girlfriends who i would love to fix up!!! i didnt want ti just ask him if he likes woman..
LOL ok that was funny .

So you are essentially describing my older brother. Early 50s, never been married, no gf, likes to golf and hang out with his buddies. He's had plenty of gf's and just isn't into the marriage thing, so not having a gf or wife or kids does not make someone gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that! ) If you want to ask your friend if you can fix him up then just ask. "Hey x, I know this awesome girl. Can I fix you up with her?" The answer should be pretty simple once you get the question out there. For as much as the replies here are over thinking this, you are too.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreMA View Post
ive never heard him talk of a special woman in his life (or man for that matter) and at first i tbougbt he was just very private; but after four years Im thinking this co-worker is gay....the guy is about 56 and his only interest seems to be golf once a week and then a drinkfest after with his buddies at the club what do you think gay or no gay?
That's interesting, because I know I guy who lives in Saugus that fits this exact description, but he's not 56 yet. I think there is an extremely likelihood that this guy is gay. A large percentage of the gay population is private, even if a guy may feel safe, and among friends that would be accepting, most won't take the chance. Key here is the guy never talks about women, and hasn't had a girlfriend.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
That's interesting, because I know I guy who lives in Saugus that fits this exact description, but he's not 56 yet. I think there is an extremely likelihood that this guy is gay. A large percentage of the gay population is private, even if a guy may feel safe, and among friends that would be accepting, most won't take the chance. Key here is the guy never talks about women, and hasn't had a girlfriend.
Why is it any of your business one way or another? Or the OP's business?

I am a very private person by nature; I hope my personal life isn't up for scrutiny and speculation the way this poor guy's has been on this thread.

Shame on the OP for even bringing it to a public forum for discussion. Hopefully no one here ever figures out where the OP works and puts two and two together.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:21 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
All the young people I know are already married, or intend to marry. There's nothing biased about the divorce laws. Get yourself a good lawyer, and you can win. That's all it takes, unless the husband has been especially egregious, like physically abusive, or something.
And all the people I know in my age range and older.....

That being mid 30's to mid 50's, I'd say 80% are divorced. For every couple that has a lasting happy marriage (so far) there are 8 or 9 that fall apart. Out of 10 male friends or co-workers I know only 2 or 3 that have had lasting good marriage and most of the ones that fell apart was the woman leaving the man. And in most of those cases the woman set herself up to start a new life more easily while the man was left in confusion when the bomb was dropped on him.

All I can say all those graduates looking for a job in this economy should look into becoming a divorce lawyer because business is obviously booming.

This thread reminds me of the one I started a couple weeks ago about the article I posted.

I remember as a kid in the 70's how divorce was around (just like bankruptcy) but wasn't so popular. Most of the families I knew on my block stayed together, those old neighbors now being in their 60's and 70's. While their kids like in my age bracket it is common to be divorced and either left holding a open bag or on their 2nd or 3rd try at marriage. Most of the people I know or knew in my parents age bracket the man worked and the woman was the homemaker though.

The only difference between me and most in my age bracket is most others had kids and subjected them to divorce or melding two people's kids into a new family from separate failed marriages. I never had a kid, because when I was younger I couldn't have afforded it and I never met a woman I wanted to marry to want to have kids with. I am far from some moral superior person in general but my parents made me old school that way........

Just two days ago I was talking to a best friend who he himself went through a nasty split up, that his nephew at 21 had a baby with a woman. He broke up with that woman, and both parents were deemed unfit to provide for the kid so now his child is being raise by my friend's sister and husband (the grand parents) who are in their late 40's. But since then the nephew has met another woman, who already had and kid and they had another kid on top between them who the nephew and her are raising both. Meantime the grandparents are left raising his first child. And the grand parents who are friends of mine are straight laced good people but no matter their son acted irresponsibly with his first child.

I'd like to add one more thing. Most of my aunts and uncles, all being in their 60's to 80's, most of them have had life long marriages while most of my cousin's being in their 30' to 40's are divorced at least once but with kids. Some of my cousins kids are already divorced as well or just had kids without marrying. Obviously there has been a society change in those generations.

Last edited by lionking; 09-09-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You didn't bother reading what I responded to.
Yes I did. Odd that you assume otherwise. I stand by my response to you.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And all the people I know in my age range and older.....
My post that you quoted was in response to someone who said marriage is going to die out because the up-and-coming generation isn't interested. That is an untrue statement. Your post isn't relevant to that.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:06 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My post that you quoted was in response to someone who said marriage is going to die out because the up-and-coming generation isn't interested. That is an untrue statement. Your post isn't relevant to that.
Yep, it seems every generation has to see someone loose half their stuff and pay out money for some period of time long after the pus*y is gone before it dawns on them. They should tell young men this in high school civics or health class. If you get married and the woman is dissatisfied for any reason at all you could be in a world of hurt. Better make sure she LOVES you before you get married.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Yes I did. Odd that you assume otherwise. I stand by my response to you.
Then you haven't read the post you quoted this time or my response to the poster.
Misogyny is not an asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships