Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It's possible they live in a manosphere such as my area in these areas the 80 / 20 phenom reigns supreme. You either break out of it, become one of the 20 percent, move, or expand your options in some way or they will have a terrible love life.

Having said that I know some guys around 50 like that that haven't dated in many years most people either think they're gay or people just think they're really freakin' wierd dudes with issues which is what I think.
I'd be willing to bet they are normal guys who either didn't do well with women or got sick of playing the dating game due to what little they got out of it and realized it just wasn't worth the effort. I don't date either and I am quite normal. I look at friends and relatives who have dated and gotten married and have miserable relationships and think I am glad I don't date. Just because someone lives their life in a way that doesn't conform to your worldview doesn't mean they are weird and have issues.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:13 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Yup. Any guy could get married, but you may have to work pretty hard for it.

Women, on the other hand, simply have to exist.

I don't know any guy that's over 30 and single (and by "single", I mean unmarried), except for myself and that's because I've chosen to be up to this point. But I'm in the process of changing that.

Like someone else said... I don't always want to have to be "on" and planning stuff for women who bring nothing to the table besides looks. I don't need a "fun" girl, I want a responsible introvert one. 36, big house, good job, plenty of cash, thin, but I like my peace... I wouldn't want to be with one of the gossipy social butterflies with 300 Facebook friends that I work with, nor do I want dozens of co-workers on my Facebook friend list. Peace is nice. Kids would be, too though. Clock is ticking, I'm working on it.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Yup. Any guy could get married, but you may have to work pretty hard for it.

Women, on the other hand, simply have to exist.

I don't know any guy that's over 30 and single (and by "single", I mean unmarried), except for myself and that's because I've chosen to be up to this point. But I'm in the process of changing that.
yup, not just 30 but I can't even think of any woman, well maybe just 1, who is in the 25-29 age range and never had a boyfriend before but I can think of lots of guys like that, yes I know I've said that thousands of times but it's the truth

Old 06-21-2017, 11:20 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
yup, not just 30 but I can't even think of any woman, well maybe just 1, who is in the 25-29 age range and never had a boyfriend before but I can think of lots of guys like that, yes I know I've said that thousands of times but it's the truth
You've been saying this for years, like a broken record. So what if it's the truth? (and it probably isn't, since you've got a severe case of confirmation bias.) Is keeping score getting you laid, if that's even what you want? And if it's not what you want, why do you care?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:23 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You've been saying this for years, like a broken record. So what if it's the truth? (and it probably isn't, since you've got a severe case of confirmation bias.) Is keeping score getting you laid, if that's even what you want? And if it's not what you want, why do you care?
Well, I think there are more men who are on the margins**, but your point (bolded) still stands. Whatever challenges a person faces, his (or her) attitude will help or hinder the effort to work through or around the challenge. Some people are so very invested in justifying why they can't, and if they'd invest half that energy in exploring how they can..........

**More men seem to have real, diagnosed personality or mental health issues that impact social skills, and we tend to expect men to be more overtly socially skilled, at least when initiating contact with women.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:45 PM

[quote=homina12;48581501]Well, I think there are more men who are on the margins**, but your point (bolded) still stands. Whatever challenges a person faces, his (or her) attitude will help or hinder the effort to work through or around the challenge. Some people are so very invested in justifying why they can't, and if they'd invest half that energy in exploring how they can...

More than likely they would be no better off than before. It's ludicrous to think that every guy can date and have girlfriends. Life doesn't work like that.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM

[quote=jma501;48582534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Well, I think there are more men who are on the margins**, but your point (bolded) still stands. Whatever challenges a person faces, his (or her) attitude will help or hinder the effort to work through or around the challenge. Some people are so very invested in justifying why they can't, and if they'd invest half that energy in exploring how they can...

More than likely they would be no better off than before. It's ludicrous to think that every guy can date and have girlfriends. Life doesn't work like that.
You're kind of doing what I'm talking about, though. Even if some men will never date successfully, and I agree that there is a non "0" number of men who won't, who says any one man has to be that guy? If you want something, having some hope and some confidence, in your plan at least if you can't muster any in yourself, helps a lot. And more importantly, admitting and almost reveling in failure before you start guarantees that failure.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:21 PM

[quote=homina12;48582700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post

You're kind of doing what I'm talking about, though. Even if some men will never date successfully, and I agree that there is a non "0" number of men who won't, who says any one man has to be that guy? If you want something, having some hope and some confidence, in your plan at least if you can't muster any in yourself, helps a lot. And more importantly, admitting and almost reveling in failure before you start guarantees that failure.
Acceptance of one's situation, while that may guarantee failure, is infinitely better than spending a lifetime Banging one's head against the wall in pursuit of something that has no chance of success.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:38 PM

[quote=jma501;48582968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

Acceptance of one's situation, while that may guarantee failure, is infinitely better than spending a lifetime Banging one's head against the wall in pursuit of something that has no chance of success.
But accepting your situation is something you do privately and it's supposed to bring some peace of mind. Going into public spheres to announce that your situation is hopeless seems more like banging your head against the wall.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:47 PM

[quote=homina12;48583173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post

But accepting your situation is something you do privately and it's supposed to bring some peace of mind. Going into public spheres to announce that your situation is hopeless seems more like banging your head against the wall.
That's not what I am doing. I am merely refuting the assumption of posters who think all guys can be successful at dating and have girlfriends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships