Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
Sometimes it takes a few months to materialize. The problem is what happens is if I have a day of meetings and can't take phone calls they have gotten really mad. Sent nasty text messages and when they find out I was in meetings are like well I thought you were ignoring me. Um no. If you keep acting like that YES I will ignore you and I tell them that.
Again, I know no man who would flip over over a delayed response to texting/calling in the middle of the work day.

Seriously, where do these guys live and what are they being fed?
It's like there is a whole species of man out there that is actually capable of getting a good job, dating a successful woman, and yet they lose their mind over a delayed text response. Something is NOT adding up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 12:58 PM

769 posts, read 977,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Again, I know no man who would flip over over a delayed response to texting/calling in the middle of the work day.

Seriously, where do these guys live and what are they being fed?
It's like there is a whole species of man out there that is actually capable of getting a good job, dating a successful woman, and yet they lose their mind over a delayed text response. Something is NOT adding up.
Mostly in MD. I haven't fed them bull. They get the truth from the start. It may be the type of men I date which is why at this time I am not dating anyone on purpose.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
So basically for someone to get your attention, they need to have good looks AND a witty/creative message before you give them your attention?
No. Telling someone not to wear sweatpants to the nightclub isn't the same thing as telling someone he has to be good-looking. Pointing out that one of the profiles says, "I don't really know what I am looking for" is not telling people they have to be witty.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:34 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
You have got to be kidding me? Is a woman going to take a guys picture seriously if he looks like he is done up for a model shoot, but doesn't look like a model? I say your best bet is to take pictures of you doing activities. I will admit that the selfies aren't going to do you any good. You really need someone to come through and take pictures for you. Ladies though, if you have 8 profile pictures, don't let them all be a headshot from different angles. It's not like one angle is going to show off beauty that you didn't have in the other 7 headshots. I'm not stupid either ladies, I know you have all those headshots, because at those different angles, it disguises easier that you are overweight. Lets be real here and keep the kid games at home. I rather see one headshot, one full body, and one activity. I at least get an idea of what you look like and then I can read your profile to see if you REALLY interest me.
She was just saying that those selfie pictures were lazy (in terms of effort) and I agree with her. Some of those guys looked like they just rolled out of bed. Guys don't need to get all "model shoot" about it...that may even backfire on them. But it's not necessary to have a college degree in photography in order to take good pictures of yourself. Looking presentable, paying a little attention to lighting and surroundings, and having a friendly facial expression can go a long way. None of that is hard and none of it is indicative that women have unrealistic high standards.

A few non-primary in-the-moment pics of the guy doing activities or even a group shot with friends are a good idea. Ideally they would capture authentically that the guy has a social life and likes to go out and do interesting things on a regular basis.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:40 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,285,338 times
Online is just too easy to test the waters of what you "hope" your dating stock is. It's too easy for people to just not be serious about it. I can read someone's profile and tell who's really there to meet someone and who's there just to see what their dating stock is. Sadly, it's more of the later than the former.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Its agreed amongst women that most guys (95%+) who message you on OKCupid/POF are boring, dull, ugly, no career, no outlook, no personality etc

Correct?

Ok let's agree for argument's sake.

So then why do you still go online and make a profile and then complain about getting hit on by undesirable guys?

Seems pretty counter intuitive...

I do pretty horribly at bars/nightclubs. Thus, I stopped trying to get with girls at nightclubs. If I do go, it would be with friends and I would never complain about lack of attention because I have already accepted the odds.
The odds of winning the lottery or winning big in Vegas are astronomical. Why do people continue to do it?

Old 11-08-2013, 01:55 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
So basically for someone to get your attention, they need to have good looks AND a witty/creative message before you give them your attention?
Yes they do. To set themselves apart from the others, or show me we are compatible in some respects (wit, sarcasm, intellect, interests).

Quote:
And what do you bring to the table?
In terms of...?

Oh, and I rarely wait for men to make first contact. The men that I'm highly matched with who feel I may be compatible with, I never hesitate to make first contact, and I also put forth the same effort I desire when it comes to such.

Sometimes my messages are long and other times they're short and to the point. For instance:

Quote:
In terms of verbosity, I think I have you beat. My profile may be longer than yours.

A.
Response(s):

Quote:
Hi, Thanks for the message. I have had a busy week and only popped on for a second but i didn't want to seem like I was ignoring your message. I have looked over your profile and I do like your profile so I will give a more thorough response very soon.

What can I say, you may have a longer profile than mine but it's okay I don't have profile envy, I feel mine is more than adequate Plus, I like a long profile anyway, I feel like I get a better sense of someone and you seem pretty cool

Quick thought/question: You don't have Orff's O fortuna listed in your epic music list. Is that because it is too familiar or does it not meet your tastes? I think it is pretty awesome and feels pretty epic to me even though it is over-used in the media.

Feel free to ask and/or tell me anything you like in the meantime. Happy Halloween!
and...

Quote:
Hi again

I really like your profile and Mr Cupid seems to think we are a pretty good match. On paper I agree, you seem like a very interesting person, we seem to share similar interests, we seem to both share the deficit of delete key blindness, and while I hesitate to comment on online photos I can tell you are pretty damn gorgeous to boot. So my question is this: why did you choose to live so damn far away? Just to tease me? Or maybe vista isn't as far as google tells me. If google and OKC are correct about the distance, do you make it to LA often?
Another:

Quote:
If I may ask, what is it you teach? My curiosity is piqued.
Response:

Quote:
Hi
I teach philosophy course, mainly courses in Phil mind and Phil science.
Are you interested in philosophy? Too bad you're not on the east coast...you seem like my sort of lady.
See, first contact needn't be creative or witty all the time, but it should be relevant to the person's profile in order to encourage genuine conversation.

Both of these men are very attractive, especially the last gentleman. We're a 99% match and would likely click very well in many ways, but alas, those I am well matched with live in such places like L.A., Portland, Seattle, New York, D.C., area, and other metro/progressive/cultured cities. The other, first set of messages, we're a 97% match. He just lives 84 miles away.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
She was just saying that those selfie pictures were lazy (in terms of effort) and I agree with her. Some of those guys looked like they just rolled out of bed. Guys don't need to get all "model shoot" about it...that may even backfire on them. But it's not necessary to have a college degree in photography in order to take good pictures of yourself. Looking presentable, paying a little attention to lighting and surroundings, and having a friendly facial expression can go a long way. None of that is hard and none of it is indicative that women have unrealistic high standards.

A few non-primary in-the-moment pics of the guy doing activities or even a group shot with friends are a good idea. Ideally they would capture authentically that the guy has a social life and likes to go out and do interesting things on a regular basis.
Yes.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:11 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Those guys in those photos are attractive to me and I have had several of those types contact me. However by far the majority were young enough to be my kid and just looking for sex I assume. I didn't get many attractive men my age contact me or even for that matter average looking men. I got some pretty repulsive looking men. By repulsive I mean guys who looked like extras from Duck Dynasty or rather obese men or men who obviously haven't bathed or brushed their teeth for days (assuming they had teeth). Why did this happen? Who knows but it got frustrating. Offline I get more variety of men.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Its agreed amongst women that most guys (95%+) who message you on OKCupid/POF are boring, dull, ugly, no career, no outlook, no personality etc

Correct?

Ok let's agree for argument's sake.

So then why do you still go online and make a profile and then complain about getting hit on by undesirable guys?

Seems pretty counter intuitive...

I do pretty horribly at bars/nightclubs. Thus, I stopped trying to get with girls at nightclubs. If I do go, it would be with friends and I would never complain about lack of attention because I have already accepted the odds.

While women with careers rightly take pride in their careers, many women do not have careers. On what basis do they impose career requirements on men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships