Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:21 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,845,737 times

Advertisements

Any time you start to lose pieces of yourself in a relationship, you need to analyze whether it might be toxic.

I've been there, done that.............. but when I found myself finally in a healthy relationship I realized that I lost nothing of myself. And I think I became even better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 11:09 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,336,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
Came across this in an e mailing that i get.....

will see if i can do this right...

Quality Health | Are You in a Toxic Relationship?0Women's Health & Pregnancy HC
Yes, for 10 years, until about a year ago, and I ended it.

My son married a women who is self imposed, and cares nothing about feelings but more about results. She needs so much attention, and is so needy in that department, I cannot tolerate her. When your around them, and they've been married for 10 years now....she whispers to her husband, my son, and pretends like your not there....be it in the car, or at home, sitting there watching TV....but she is distracting and I believe she is intimidated by the conversation going on, therefore, it's her only way to let you know, stay out of my comfort zone, and also, divert attention back to herself?

I have sent my grand daughter many gifts....matter of fact, a lot of clothing, and gals at work who are my friends, would say, they wished I was their mother in law. Anyway, I used to send my grand daughter an awful lot of new clothing from a vendor who came into work, and a lot of other girls loved his clothes as well. I found out, that she was throwing them out, unless the packages came when my son was home, and even then, she would become enraged b/c they were not label clothing and she'd dump them in the can. I know that because my son's father and his wife were there and saw her do it. They didn't know the dresses were from me, and they made a comment to someone that she became abnormally enraged and threw them out, and they said, they were beautiful dresses.

Last time I visited them, I had a special necklace, earings, and bracelet made for my daughter in law, as I love to give gifts...she hated it. and I bet you anything, that ended up in the waste can to. I was so excited when it was done, b/c I helped design it for her...and it cost a small fortune....well, all the younger girls at work loved it so much, two of them asked me if I'd mind if they had one just like it made...I didn't care....made me happy to think that my DIL might really love it. Well, she didn't. I don't believe she's like anything I gave her or her daughter, cuz it's me.

She used to erase emails and telephone messages my son received from me and his friends. Now they have no friends at all, unless she allows them in.

She is sneaky and extremely manipulative...calculating and knows how to get exactly what she wants.

My last visit, I had mentioned how I thought my son handled the horse well, and I was so surprised, after not seeing him on a horse for many years....she went balistic and started holloring at me how he can't usually handle the horse and she has to get on him and settle him down?????? Man oh man, I do not have the slightest clue as to what set her off? Cannot imagine what he lives with, but that's his choice.

She was cleaning the dishes and I asked her if I could help...she torted.."will you please settle down and go away?" Sheesh....

In front of him, she is as sweet as honey, but when he isn't around she is so cocky and condiscending...and actually, to tell you the truth, if this woman were not my son's wife, I would have slammed her inside and out verbally....as I've never been treated or humiliated by anyone like her in my life.

We'd be out for dinner, and if she was done, but everyone else is finishing their coffee, she jumps up and says, ready and starts walking out without any regard for anyone else.

I was so looking forward to going down there and visting and going to a certain resturant I love there, but, because she didn't want to go, we don't go.

There are many sights I would love to see when I visit there, but unless I would make a special trip there, myself...I've never seen those sights in 10 years of visiting b/c she doesn't want to go.

Everything is when, where and how she decides, and there is no compromise or deviating from her plans are.

Years ago, right after they were married, she orchastrated something very sneaky and underhanded....and I was in a state of shock, not understanding what the heck was going on...but it led my son to believe or want to believe that it was all my fault. Without going into it, I know now what she was doing, but at the time, I was gasping for air, trying to make sense out of it all...and of course, my son, found it easier to believe her, then all the years he's known me. It was awful...heartbreaking, etc.

So, long story short, I've had to cut them all, completely out of my life...a very difficult thing to do.

Reason being, I could have handled most anything she has done, but what I can't handle is how she screams at him in front of me...and his dispostion has completely changed.

You know, she has never once called anyone from my side of the family who has sent either her a gift or my grand daughter and thanked them or me. It's her sense of entitlement and complete disregard for anyone else...not to mention, to see my son, change like he has...

this situation way way to toxic for me, and after 10 years of it...and her lies and manipulative tactics...

When they lived at home, I used to take my grand daughter out every Sunday morning for breakfast and my daughter in law accuses me every stinkin time we get together of buying my grand daughter coke for breakfast????????? So, I let her think what she wants to think...

but it's always stuff like that, she wants to make me feel guilty for having fun and not being able to control the situation I guess.

In the beginning, she pretended to be afraid of me, and so, my son and I started spending quality time with each other once in a while. She didn't like that, so, she started to pretend to tollerate me...so she could be more in control...and slowly but surely, I saw them less and less, and basically the man goes where the wife wants to go.

So, you see, it's been a long hard road of trying to decide what to do...all these years...knowing that no matter what I decided to do, I had everything to loose and she had nothing to loose at all...

The hardest part of all, was being around my son, as he seemed very nervous around me....and respect was lost...not to mention the hurt that was very hard to forget...as he really used to yell at me for all of this...
I believe he feels guilty for loving me...and also, its easier for him to blame me.

This has hurt me more then any divorce, or death I've been through, but I've had to conclude that it was unhealthy for me to be around them anymore.

Last time I saw them, we were in a pool place, as I had given money to my son, to help clean up there pool for spring. I had asked her a question and she just gave me this aloof look and then walked over to him and started stroking his back and arms while he was talking to the salesman....(sick) and then walked to the complete other end of the store and sat on a chair and acted like she was a victim....and so...what else could I do....

There for a time, they moved home and I asked my son, if they'd consider going to counseling with me...and they wouldn't.

I won't allow either of them back in my life until they do...b/c she likes what my son has to offer her, otherwise she would not be there, believe me. I strongly believe they are both co-dependant on each other, and it seems to have worked up until now. Although she is very unapreciative for anything he does for her, there is something she gives him, as well?

She knows she has it pretty good...as he works three jobs and she hardly ever works, and she needs to have all label clothing, diamonds and a horse, a new car the moment her old car starts to have mechanical problems and she will literally act out, until she gets it...

You should see their daughters clothes...honestly, you'd think they were employed by the government or Hollywood.

well, I could go on and on, but I certainly do appreciate this thread, thank you...it does help to vent as sometimes, no, most of the time, the hurt is unbelievable....

My son and I were very close at one time....he was a joy to be around, he was an excellent child to raise, never really had any problems with him...he was mature...and people loved him...a real people magnet....as friends would gravitate towards him.

The nicest thing about raising him was to watch him evolve...and to allow him, his own decissions. His dad had married a woman who hated him...was very nasty to him when he was young, and I believe she really broke down his confidence....

I surely can look back now and know my mistakes with him...

Oh well, long story...so sorry, yes, I broke off a very toxic and harmful relationship....and yanno what bothers me most, and is so sad...the 10 years I've lost with them both...b/c she is so dysfuncional and intimidated by me.

I see my girlfriend with her daughter in laws, who she adores and they adore her...and I so wish I had that...not even close.

Thanks so much for bearing with me...
sorry for the rant...
creme

Old 11-23-2007, 11:42 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,621,844 times
Creme-

she sounds like a rude narcissist. I wish you were my MIL!!- lol. How nice of you to have special jewelry made, etc....IMO she is jealous of you and your love for your son- and also insecure. I dont understand why she needs to be cruel, was she abused as a child ? (not that that excuses it!). She sounds extremely mentally unstable.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:48 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,991,745 times
Hey, toxic relationships are more complex than just FIVE guidelines.

I am in a toxic relationship with my roommate. We both have the same major and know the same people. Yet he continues to be intentionally selfish and arrogant. That is his business. Nothing to do with me. The city and other people I've met are pretty cool but I still can't wait to graduate.

I just read the best book on this topic called Help I am in love with a Narcissist. Simply the best book with more than just five simplified guidelines. A great story from the book was when a lady who couldn't get it through her head that her bf was a narcissist. The bf's psychiatrist called up the gf and said to her that he is so narcissistic that he cannot have a relationship with anybody, it is impossible. The book is good even if you are NOT in love with a narcissist but want to understand what the heck their problem is.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Creme-

she sounds like a rude narcissist. I wish you were my MIL!!- lol. How nice of you to have special jewelry made, etc....IMO she is jealous of you and your love for your son- and also insecure. I dont understand why she needs to be cruel, was she abused as a child ? (not that that excuses it!). She sounds extremely mentally unstable.

God, she was more then abused as a child...all I know about her is that her mother made a living out of marrying well off men, then divorcing them and taking them for everything she could get. She completely abandoned the children...my DIL is the best out of all her sibblings...and I felt sorry for her, for a long long time...inbetween the angry times...now, I just want to be away from her...she's an adult, and she certainly knows she is hurting people...I still feel bad for her, but I'm very angry at my son, for allowing her to hurt so many people. She is very selfish, and has no social skills at all...

She came to a family dinner once....and she wouldn't speak with anyone...my sisters said she projects a very aloof image, but I think, deep down inside, she hates herself and fears others disliking her....she fears rejection and rejects everyone who trys to enter the world she has created around her and my son.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,621,844 times
Ugh- and where is her mother now? She probably has to act like she is above others because of insecurity. But people like that never want to be told the truth, you have to just give up....

Old 11-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Ugh- and where is her mother now? She probably has to act like she is above others because of insecurity. But people like that never want to be told the truth, you have to just give up....

Ohhhh boy, I dreaded a confrontation with her...she goes absolutely baserk....I feel badly, and wonder what my son is putting up with, remember, I'm seeing her good side?????

Old 11-23-2007, 12:23 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,740,457 times
Maybe when your granddaughters grow up you can have a good relationship with them. Hope so, anyway. And your son, too. May he wise up some day.

You can be my MIL too, although I bet we're close to the same age. My dh's mother died right after we started dating so I never met her.

I can't say that I've ever been in a toxic relationship, either because of luck or because I bail at the first sign of it. Not sure. I dated a few men who exhibited signs of extreme possessiveness and control, but I wiggled out of those relationships before they ever got off the ground.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:45 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,400,242 times
Creme...

So sorry about what you have been through. I know that when I post here, it is an excellent way to get things out, and I will not forget, where is the love, you were the first to respond...

I only posted that just to get some things off of my mind, to get some feelings out, and it became huge. I have come to know and understand my husband and a lot of his family as toxic people, therefore, any relationship I would have with them is toxic.

It tok so so much for me to break free from the poison of my life. I am just so sorry that you have to be without your son.

My husbands mother is a very toxic person and many times he broke free from her, and always went back. What I have done by not being him is a great thing. A great thing for me, and for my children.

The problem with a lot of toxic people is that they do not know they are toxic.

This is what I have found in having to have a relationship with my husband, we have the children, he will always be a part of my life in that respect, but he places so much blame on me for so many things. Its hard.

Thank you for posting your story. You can be my MIL too...

We must get hurt out...we must let it out.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
Creme...

So sorry about what you have been through. I know that when I post here, it is an excellent way to get things out, and I will not forget, where is the love, you were the first to respond...

I only posted that just to get some things off of my mind, to get some feelings out, and it became huge. I have come to know and understand my husband and a lot of his family as toxic people, therefore, any relationship I would have with them is toxic.

It tok so so much for me to break free from the poison of my life. I am just so sorry that you have to be without your son.

My husbands mother is a very toxic person and many times he broke free from her, and always went back. What I have done by not being him is a great thing. A great thing for me, and for my children.

The problem with a lot of toxic people is that they do not know they are toxic.

This is what I have found in having to have a relationship with my husband, we have the children, he will always be a part of my life in that respect, but he places so much blame on me for so many things. Its hard.

Thank you for posting your story. You can be my MIL too...

We must get hurt out...we must let it out.
WEll thanks, I don't know why I posted this...my very first post in CD was about her....the hurt is unimaginable....

My son was easy to raise...he was such a joy, very curious, kind and giving.
We were very close, and he was a people magnant. All his friends both girls and boys would come to the house, even if he wasn't there. They would tell me what a good friend he was, and how they loved him. He joiined the military and then sought a career in law enforcement...

this is so not him...and he has even said to me on a few occassions that he is not the person I think he is....that is why I wrote him....and asked, "what is it that you did in your life, that you feel you deserve so little?"

what is so sad about all of this is the fact that I cannot do anything to help plus she has cut off all of his support. IN fact his father fears, she will do the same thing to them as she has done to me....I said, no she won't and he looked at me strangely...I said, she's waiting for the inheritence...my son's father is very well to do.

Isn't that awful, that I said that? Very mean of me to say it I think.

The really bad thing about all of this is, I wonder what it was I did wrong...how did I fail him that he would pick such a dysfunctional wife?

He had so much going for him...he's a nice guy...a cop...and he does care about people, but she's got him so busy and she keeps him busy and preoccupied for her own personal reasons?

He give her anything she wants...and sometimes I wonder if she threatens him...she is very unstable and I worry, I do.

He and I used to have talks and I suggested on several occasssions, "When you find a woman who you think you'd like to spend the rest of your life with, make certain, she hasn't had severe problems growing up..b/c if she has, and hasn't received help/counseling, she will contaminate the relationship...and you will have more problems then you know...also, make certain she has goals of her own and she is not looking for someone to take care of,and lastly, please know, your father's very wealthy, and there are gals who look for just that...." He never listened, he was in fact, infactuated with her beauty I think...I just can't imagine the life he must be living and how his own self esteem must be depleated, not to mention, a bundle of nerves...she's so explosive?????

I should have never allowed him to go back to town and live with his father full time. His father's wife is just like his wife...I believe that is why he deems this all normal behavior...I believe he became immune to her yelling and whinning at his father. I also think his step mother said things, that depleated his self esteem, as she plays these little games with me...but I ignore it thinking, I don't have to live with her....???? I blame his father to...but most of all, I blame my son, he above all others knows me best, and knows in his heart of hearts, that I would never do such a thing...I was so happy when he told me he intended to give her a ring? God, if we had only known then, huh? All I could think of was, I was finally going to have a daughter. And my girlfriend has 3 daughter in laws, and they all get along so well...I really and truly miss my son...I lost 3 other children before I had him...and almost lost him...and now, I fear, I've lost him for good...I worry about his stability? I can't help it, he's my son....some on here have said, well, he's a man...yes he is, but he's still my son, and he will always be...and I feel awful being estranged from him...like a failure...yanno? Nothing anyone can say, can make it better, you simply have to learn to live with it and hope....???

sometimes I really wish I could spank em both....gosh, the hurt people can cause others is sometimes unbearable...yanno? I do know you know...and I'm so sorry you've had to experience what you've experienced for such a young girl....

Well, thanks for the rant and vent....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-23-2007 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships