Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 4,645 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum, have been spying on conversations for a while but never have posted anything until now. Sorry upfront if this topic has been talked about before, I tried searching but couldn’t find anything.
I am a 33 year old single female, I own my house, works as an ICU nurse, I am currently going to school for my Bachelor’s and will eventually get my Masters in Nurse Practitioner. The reason I state these things is not to brag or anything just simply to state that I am in right mind and I did not take this lightly. One of my many flaws is that my “guy picker” is broken, I seem to go for the guys that are not good for me. Examples would be: One guy is currently in jail, one is having a third child with the girl he cheated on me with, one was physically/emotionally abusive etc.
I want a child and since my guy picker is broken I have been looking at artificial insemination. My question for the guys is have you ever done this? What is the benefit to you? I get the product of your donation but you only get a little bit of money and maybe 18 years of wondering what your child looks like, I am doing the open donation which means the child is able to contact the donor when they turn 18 but only if the child wants to. The place I am doing this actually has staff impressions comments and one donor did state that he and his wife was able to produce a beautiful child and they felt it was important to let others experience that bond. This makes since to me, but not all of them have had previous children so what is their reasoning?
Also would it be harder for men to date women who has done the artificial insemination compared to someone who had children from a previous relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 12:53 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,036 times
A lot of nurses are co-dependent enablers or maybe it's just that co-dependent enablers are drawn to nursing.

Anyway, fix yourself before you reproduce and ruin someone's life.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:19 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Wait.....you're taking donations? lol

Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Lol@ everyone wanting babies so much.

I get it, they're cute.

Unfortunately they grow up to be revolting teenagers and distant adults.

Consider that before you go shopping for turkey basters.

Most of my (older, female) friends actually regret having children.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:07 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Lol@ everyone wanting babies so much.

I get it, they're cute.

Unfortunately they grow up to be revolting teenagers and distant adults.

Consider that before you go shopping for turkey basters.

Most of my (older, female) friends actually regret having children.
Very arrogant and presumptuous post considering the OP indicated that her decision to have children is well thought-out and she is financially able to support them. she is clearly soliciting advice on AI and not some empty, useless rant from the childless, barren and noisy dept.

The fact that your older, female friends regret having children does NOT mean others do or the OP will. Having a child (well my wife delivered the baby) is one of the best things to happen to me. I wouldnt trade the experience for anything in the world. The childless & loud crew should please give us a break! We get it you hate kids and dont want them...just remember that those of with children are just as happy, thankful and fortunate to have them in our lives. We actually enjoy our parental role (even with teenagers) as much as you enjoy your ...umm....childless status!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:11 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
A lot of nurses are co-dependent enablers or maybe it's just that co-dependent enablers are drawn to nursing.

Anyway, fix yourself before you reproduce and ruin someone's life.
I actually agree with the last sentence in this post. Please try to fix your "broken guy picker" before proceeding. Best of luck OP

Old 02-15-2014, 04:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYouNurse View Post
I am new to this forum, have been spying on conversations for a while but never have posted anything until now. Sorry upfront if this topic has been talked about before, I tried searching but couldn’t find anything.
I am a 33 year old single female, I own my house, works as an ICU nurse, I am currently going to school for my Bachelor’s and will eventually get my Masters in Nurse Practitioner. The reason I state these things is not to brag or anything just simply to state that I am in right mind and I did not take this lightly. One of my many flaws is that my “guy picker” is broken, I seem to go for the guys that are not good for me. Examples would be: One guy is currently in jail, one is having a third child with the girl he cheated on me with, one was physically/emotionally abusive etc.
I want a child and since my guy picker is broken I have been looking at artificial insemination. My question for the guys is have you ever done this? What is the benefit to you? I get the product of your donation but you only get a little bit of money and maybe 18 years of wondering what your child looks like, I am doing the open donation which means the child is able to contact the donor when they turn 18 but only if the child wants to. The place I am doing this actually has staff impressions comments and one donor did state that he and his wife was able to produce a beautiful child and they felt it was important to let others experience that bond. This makes since to me, but not all of them have had previous children so what is their reasoning?
Also would it be harder for men to date women who has done the artificial insemination compared to someone who had children from a previous relationship?
I honestly think you should see a therapist about why your "guy picker" is broken before you go further in your quest to have a child.

As a parent, you will have to make thousands of decisions a day. If you can't trust your guy picker, what make you think you will be a good parent?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:16 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Did you see the article this week about the guy who received oral sex.
She used the sperm to impregnate herself and he's now paying child support.

Or the guy who made a donation to 2 lesbians and now paying CS ?

Be sure and do it the right way.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:16 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
original poster: I would guess in the future you will want to be in a long term relationship or married so my advice would be to figure out why you keep picking the wrong men before you even think seriously about having a child.
Once that child is here any decision you make regarding a partner is going to affect that child as well.
Do you really want to put them through unnecessary turmoil because you keep picking the wrong men?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM

305 posts, read 655,585 times
I suggest you go into psychotherapy first to figure out what it is that makes you blind to red flags. You want to be able to teach your child how to have healthy relationships and it seems you need some help with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships