Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

Let's say you married someone that never told you that they could not have children for medical reasons but you mentioned it several times while dating that you wanted children and your new bride/groom agreed that they wanted children also.

Well, you finally found out the truth......( in this order)

You ask them why they lied and never told you and their reponse was: I did not want to lose you. You're the best thing that has ever happened in my life.

What would you do: stay and work it out or go

Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 01:44 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
I'd stay and work it out. Where there's a will there's a way and if there's love between them I am pretty sure they'll find a way to deal with the issue.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:45 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
I would probably have to go. that is too painful a situation to stay in. I would be so hurt. If they loved me that much, I think they should have told the truth in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Let's say you married someone that never told you that they could not have children for medical reasons but you mentioned it several times while dating that you wanted children and your new bride/groom agreed that they wanted children also.

Well, you finally found out the truth......( in this order)

You ask them why they lied and never told you and their reponse was: I did not want to lose you. You're the best thing that has ever happened in my life.

What would you do: stay and work it out or go

Ron

Old 11-18-2008, 01:47 PM

but don't you think that it's terrible to lead someone on like that? especially after hinting about it all during the relationship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I'd stay and work it out. Where there's a will there's a way and if there's love between them I am pretty sure they'll find a way to deal with the issue.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:48 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
You married for better and for worse.

Yes, your spouse did not tell you the truth about that minor thing - yes, I consider the inability to have children as minor because: there are other options out there! But, you did marry them out of love. Love can work miracles.. At that point, why not look into other options? When you pick someone to marry, you are marrying them because they compliment you - not because of the potential babies that could be made, that is just a sidenote; it is only a part of the equation.

I would say that trust would be jeopardized to an extent, but you did not marry them completely under false ideas. They wanted children, too, and maybe they are hoping that you love them so much that you could find a way to work through this problem together. Afterall... had they been honest with you from the get go, would you have walked away and not given them a chance? Maybe they fell in love with you because they saw the chance that your love could give them.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
It's called get over it. People are dealt bad hands every day.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
especially after hinting about it all during the relationship?
That's a major issue and hinting just doesn't do it. Needs to be discussed and spelled out.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:51 PM

but the OP said that both people were agreeing about kids, but one person was keeping it secret that they couldn't have kids? I just don't think it's that simple to say "oh well , we love each other, we'll work through it". IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
You married for better and for worse.

Yes, your spouse did not tell you the truth about that minor thing - yes, I consider the inability to have children as minor because: there are other options out there! But, you did marry them out of love. Love can work miracles.. At that point, why not look into other options? When you pick someone to marry, you are marrying them because they compliment you - not because of the potential babies that could be made, that is just a sidenote; it is only a part of the equation.

I would say that trust would be jeopardized to an extent, but you did not marry them completely under false ideas. They wanted children, too, and maybe they are hoping that you love them so much that you could find a way to work through this problem together. Afterall... had they been honest with you from the get go, would you have walked away and not given them a chance? Maybe they fell in love with you because they saw the chance that your love could give them.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Adoption is always an option....

Surrogacy is too but eh....why add more children to the earth when there are plenty of them being born every minute,hour, etc?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:55 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
The lying is the tough thing to get over. That might require some work as its a trust issue. A marriage counselor might be in order.

Beyond that, there are many ways to create a family. Many children are in need of good homes, maybe adoption might be something to consider. If the husband is unable to make children, the wife could be artificially inseminated. If the wife isn't able to concieve or carry a pregnancy, maybe a surrogate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships