Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:48 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Easier said than done. Some people are shy and want to do that they just can't. Can you understand that or do you just not care?
What steps are you taking again to overcome your shyness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

Does posting on CD-Rel count?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:53 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular View Post
You just go out and ask somebody who you are attracted to, out! [...] You get a no, move on to the next one. What is to know?!?
Well, just speaking for myself:
  1. Unfortunately, all but two people who found out I had feelings felt uncomfortable and didn't even want to be friends. Didn't exactly fill me with confidence.
  2. Being attracted to a girl and feeling in love with her are separate for me, so I don't have a list of people to move on to.

Since I was 13 which is 23 years now, I have met five women with whom I would have wanted to be in a romantic relationship. Among the two who did not feel uncomfortable with hearing that I had feelings fire them, neither reciprocated my feelings. One lives in Florida while I live in California with no ability to move across the country, and she has family obligations there, and the other girl I lost touch with after middle school.

Given my financial and general life situation, right now a relationship wouldn't be practical anyway, but I still feel lonely, rejected, sad, etc.when I think about my lack of a love life.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I'm not shy, I am introverted. There is a difference. If I were shy, I wouldn't be on this forum.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't understand. I thrive I being the underdog. There have been just to many examples in my life, that when all the chips are down, I thrive. I don't know how or why, but I do. So I guess when it comes down to not being able to do something as easy and rewarding as talking to a woman, I don't understand.

You aren't trying to apply for a CEO position, or get top clearance for a government agency, you are trying to communicate with a female.

There are too many options that give people the opportunity to meet with other individuals for me to understand not being able to do it.

If you let something control you, like the fear you feel over this issue, what other things will you end up cheating yourself out of in life?
It's funny. I can apply for a job easily, I can talk in an interview easily, I could swim with sharks, wrestle an alligator, and pet a Lion and wouldn't be afraid. However, approaching a woman frightens me. How backwards am I?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:04 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Horse crap!

I see from your ability to type a thought out in this thread, that you do know how to communicate a thought. That is all you need! You just go out and ask somebody who you are attracted to, out! Period. It is that easy. You may get rejected, but they are only words. Words only stain if you let them. You get a no, move on to the next one. What is to know?!?
What you fail to realize is that just because some men can get dates/girlfriends, it doesn't mean all men can get them. Life does not work that way.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:08 PM

888 posts, read 1,099,939 times
Neu, that is something that I know must seem like an insurmountable hurdle at this time, but you are letting opportunities go by. Time has a funny way of flying by. Rejection stings, but you can't let it define you. I know I've read it on several of these threads, but if you put yourself out in public, the opportunities are there.

Don't worry about love now.

Go watch Rocky movies for inspiration!

Go out and ask out a woman for a coffee or a milkshake. She doesn't have to be your most ideal woman. You don't even have to ask someone you see dating for 3 dates. Just one girl. One date. If you ask 10 women out, all you need is one.

At least that is how I would approach it.

I posted this a while back on another thread. I hope it helps.

Quote:
I know this is a little off the wall but there is a lesson.

When I was in cell phone sales, I was only allowed to sell to companies. In the month of February, particularly in the years I was selling, no company wanted to spend a flush of money on new cell phones for their employees. I needed to sell 45 phones that month to continue my streak. My sales funnel was exhausted trying to hit goal in January. It was already well in to the first week of a short month, and I was stressing.

I decided to change my goal from 45 units to 1,000 no's. If I could contact 1,000 people, I will sell 45 phones. SO, I did! I called every company I could find a number for. All day long. Cold call, after cold call, after cold call. 90%+ of everyday was nothing but rejection. Some were cool, some were rude. I had a sheet, then a board, I kept my tally on for all my NO's. I did not keep a tally on my phone count. I had confidence in myself and my process.

On the morning of the 27th, I got my 1,000 No. I had made 51 sales. 3 more I could have hit the bonus, but by that point I was exhausted. I did create enough business for the next couple of months based on those calls to easily hit my goal from that point on.

Keep putting yourself out there. It may take a lot of rejection, but patience and confidence will prevail in great success.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
What you fail to realize is that just because some men can get dates/girlfriends, it doesn't mean all men can get them. Life does not work that way.
Why can't people on here understand that? Just because some men get happy endings doesn't mean they all will.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:14 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Why can't people on here understand that? Just because some men get happy endings doesn't mean they all will.
This is something I learned years ago.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:16 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
I'm not shy, I am introverted. There is a difference.
Quote:
However, approaching a woman frightens me.

what frightens you about women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships