Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't understand why you would move in with somebody and then decide to kick them to the curb like that unless you are having an affair or something. A woman is not a dog and you cannot just return her to the pet store.
Right. What he really should do is stick it out with someone it's not working out with, wasting not just his time but hers, and messing with her head and her life in the process. How noble that would be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
If you are sure you no longer want to be in a relationship with this girl, break it off. She might be sad temporarily, but she will thank you in the long run. No one wants their significant other "pretending" to be happy for the sake of a lease. Talk to the landlord and see if you can pay a penalty to break your lease, or look to sublet the apartment.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:26 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Just because its written in a lease doesn't mean it's legal. They can ask for the moon and you can sign it, but doesn't mean they can collect if the terms aren't legal to begin with; or that they will go to the trouble of paying collection costs. When I've broken a lease I've never been out more than whatever I had put in for last months rent and deposit. And no one has ever come after me. Now if your roommate is also on the lease, she may come after you for your portion of the rent, but again, how willing is the person to pay legal and collection costs versus the rent money?

Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
You can pay the penalty for breaking the lease, which is usually losing your security deposit or maybe two months rent. It should be in your lease documentation. You need to go through this with your landlord though. Oh, and you do need to be honest with your soon to be ex girlfriend. It is not good to live a lie.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Right. What he really should do is stick it out with someone it's not working out with, wasting not just his time but hers, and messing with her head and her life in the process. How noble that would be!
At least until the lease is up

Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times
Best to talk with the girlfriend first, if she hears is from the landlord I would wager you will come home to an empty apt and be holding the whole bag.

You should make an effort to work things through. Then if they don't work out at least you both can say you tried and she wont feel like a failure. A partner never knows what buggs you if you don't communicate. Being on the rebound is no excuse. You should know better by now.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 PM

152 posts, read 530,963 times
tell her right now, today, do not drag it on another hour, you are mixing up emotional feelings with legal contracts, uh ho that sounds like a marriage. Frankly she will be BETTER off with you out of her life, money is only that but a heart breaker who will grind you down everyday and that is what you are, will damage her forever, GTFO!

Old 12-08-2007, 05:26 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
I'm surprised at the hostility being directed to msaRick here. He's not married, there are no children, he's not even engaged.

The point of living together is to find out if a couple is compatible and suitable for marriage. Rick tried, he discovered he's with the wrong woman and now he wants to end the relationship.

How does that make him a bad guy? Some of you are inclined to tell him to work it out- some of you are telling him what a jerk he is. He is trying hard to do the right thing- even mentioned giving the woman some money for a new place.

There are so many men who have just left such a situation. Abandoned the other person and left them holding the bills. In my opinion, Rick is trying to handle this in a way that is fair to the woman but also in a way that he can be true to himself... and that's his right.

Again, he's not married. He does not owe his girlfriend anything other than to treat her with courtesy and decency. And he seems not only willing, but determined to do that.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 AM

152 posts, read 530,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I'm surprised at the hostility being directed to msaRick here. He's not married, there are no children, he's not even engaged.

The point of living together is to find out if a couple is compatible and suitable for marriage. Rick tried, he discovered he's with the wrong woman and now he wants to end the relationship.

How does that make him a bad guy? Some of you are inclined to tell him to work it out- some of you are telling him what a jerk he is. He is trying hard to do the right thing- even mentioned giving the woman some money for a new place.

There are so many men who have just left such a situation. Abandoned the other person and left them holding the bills. In my opinion, Rick is trying to handle this in a way that is fair to the woman but also in a way that he can be true to himself... and that's his right.

Again, he's not married. He does not owe his girlfriend anything other than to treat her with courtesy and decency. And he seems not only willing, but determined to do that.

Did you notice his intent to LIE about his feelings for the sake of saving MONEY? An honest man would not be in this situation, and by the way you reduce your chance of marriage by test driving it ahead of time. I know I am old and grey but every time you make a nest with a man and then it is torn apart little parts of you that form attachments are removed, that is my experience. I am trying to get him to make the break now, believe me he is already interested in someone else, why else would he be ready for the door?

Old 12-08-2007, 09:44 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little peg View Post
believe me he is already interested in someone else, why else would he be ready for the door?

Maybe because he's an intelligent adult who is perceptive enough to realize that he's in a relationship that is not going to work. I left a marriage because of that. NOT because of somebody else.

Yes, people are unfaithful every day and marriages and relationships end because of that. But there are also several relationships that end due to incompatability.

I don't think you have any right to accuse him of cheating or being interested in someone else. He has been dignified by wanting to do right by this woman and also by not saying anything negative about her other than that it's just not working. I give him all the credit in the world for not trying to make something fit that just doesn't before too much more time is wasted for either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships