Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:04 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,415 times

Advertisements

What year was it that "romantic relationships between people" were all good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:07 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Not to sound like a pessimist or a know it all but I think they are getting worse to be honest. Here are the things I see.

-People cheat like there is no tomorrow now.

-They have become more selfish and self centered.

-No one has anymore patience and give up at the first sign of trouble.

-People start acting irrationally after they go through a heartbreak and start trying to find ways to hurt people when they have been hurt in the past.

-They are focused on shallow things instead of the important things.

-Sex seems to be the prime motivation of every relationship, no one seems to love each other anymore, and are only there for the sex and not because they care about the person. (I have no issue with sex, I just don't think that should be the most important thing.)

-No one respects boundaries anymore, and go after people in relationships

-People seem to want to control others.

If there is anything I have missed, then please list some things you have seem. As I said before this is typically what I see in most relationships where I am. It really discourages me because I don't think I will find anything meaningful if things continue to get this way. It just seems no one understands the concept of a relationship anymore and have twisted and turned it into something it was never meant to be. I'm not dating primarily because there is no one I am interested in at the moment, and because of the reasons I stated above. If you disagree, please state your reasons. Please be kind! Thank you! I just want hear other people's opinions and experiences!
I believe all those things went on from day one. So I disagree that relationships are getting worse. Perhaps we just know more about what goes on in everyone's life via all the social media.

I do agree tho, in general that people are more self-centered and have less patience.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:10 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
*Before things come together, things fall apart...* Relationships will only improve for those making a conscious effort to first improve themselves. Alot of broken and fragmented souls walkin around this Earth expecting others to put them back together- Sorry- it don't work like that..

Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Not to sound like a pessimist or a know it all but I think they are getting worse to be honest. Here are the things I see.

-People cheat like there is no tomorrow now.

-They have become more selfish and self centered.

-No one has anymore patience and give up at the first sign of trouble.

-People start acting irrationally after they go through a heartbreak and start trying to find ways to hurt people when they have been hurt in the past.

-They are focused on shallow things instead of the important things.

-Sex seems to be the prime motivation of every relationship, no one seems to love each other anymore, and are only there for the sex and not because they care about the person. (I have no issue with sex, I just don't think that should be the most important thing.)

-No one respects boundaries anymore, and go after people in relationships

-People seem to want to control others.

If there is anything I have missed, then please list some things you have seem. As I said before this is typically what I see in most relationships where I am. It really discourages me because I don't think I will find anything meaningful if things continue to get this way. It just seems no one understands the concept of a relationship anymore and have twisted and turned it into something it was never meant to be. I'm not dating primarily because there is no one I am interested in at the moment, and because of the reasons I stated above. If you disagree, please state your reasons. Please be kind! Thank you! I just want hear other people's opinions and experiences!
The fact that meeting new people is more easily accessible through the Internet these days, and this lifestyle of a new self-centered level of mentality, and people treating each other as commodity these days with family values decreasing, I'd say.. it doesn't help relationships at least in the U.S. or in any other 3rd world type system.

When people work to pay bills and take on a double shifts and jobs in order to sufficiently meet the financial needs of a borderline middleclass/lowerclass income from about a decade ago (high living expenses, automobile, gas, healthcare rising), the more people are a slave to the dollar bill, the more likely there is a decrease in relationship satisfaction. Not to mention other atrocities due to greed. The mentality of narcissism makes people seemingly more disposable.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
There are times my best guy friend and I feel we function much better as a team than the actual couples we know do. Late hubby and I were a team and I don't really see that much anymore among couples. A lot of times, my friends have to check-in with their partners before confirming if they will come to some event, not to double check if they already have plans, but to see if the other one is free that night or already has plans: "I'm free that night, but I don't know if X is."

I do think the "window shopping" effect of OLD has had a negative effect as well as now more people seem to have created their "shopping lists" and if a potential partner meets 8 of the ten items on the list but is lacking items #3 and #7, they move on to the next one, whereas before, they may have thought "this is a really great person. Do I really need blue eyes and a D-cup?" (or blue eyes and 6'1").

Old 04-29-2014, 12:57 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
I don't think it's gotten worse. I think we just hear about it more. And a lot of bottom-feeders are facilitated by OLD, where they have access to more people. That can create a false impression about what dating is about.

There are still good, honorable people out there, though, same as always.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Its because there are so many opprotunistic people but the difference is now the legal system supports the opprotunist especailly if they are female. The way to insulate yourself is never sign anything and dont get anyone pregnant.

The reason the relationships are built on sex is becuase sex is the one thing you cant really do by yourself to any sort of quality.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
The reason the relationships are built on sex is becuase sex is the one thing you cant really do by yourself to any sort of quality.
Dude, maybe the fact that your relationships are based on sex is a big part of your problem.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:13 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Dude, maybe the fact that your relationships are based on sex is a big part of your problem.
No, the fact that im not that attractive is a big part of my problem, but I make it work unlike alot of other people who just whine about it. When your not attractive you dont have women lined up, when you dont have women lined up you have to start cutting standards the more and more you have to cut standards to find a mate pretty soon all that is left is sex and maybe one or 2 other things (like they cant be a complete phyco or on drugs/pills). I understand that men or women who are dating 7 people at once and cant decide dont get it but thats reality for some people.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:59 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,226 times
I think that dirty laundry, dysfunctional relationships and odd people/behavior are being publicized far more often these days due to social media, forums, YouTube and so on. Bizarre situations and people tend to attract attention and stick in peoples' minds. However, that doesn't mean that relationships are worse or better today than they were 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships