Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times

Advertisements

Not to sound like a pessimist or a know it all but I think they are getting worse to be honest. Here are the things I see.

-People cheat like there is no tomorrow now.

-They have become more selfish and self centered.

-No one has anymore patience and give up at the first sign of trouble.

-People start acting irrationally after they go through a heartbreak and start trying to find ways to hurt people when they have been hurt in the past.

-They are focused on shallow things instead of the important things.

-Sex seems to be the prime motivation of every relationship, no one seems to love each other anymore, and are only there for the sex and not because they care about the person. (I have no issue with sex, I just don't think that should be the most important thing.)

-No one respects boundaries anymore, and go after people in relationships

-People seem to want to control others.

If there is anything I have missed, then please list some things you have seem. As I said before this is typically what I see in most relationships where I am. It really discourages me because I don't think I will find anything meaningful if things continue to get this way. It just seems no one understands the concept of a relationship anymore and have twisted and turned it into something it was never meant to be. I'm not dating primarily because there is no one I am interested in at the moment, and because of the reasons I stated above. If you disagree, please state your reasons. Please be kind! Thank you! I just want hear other people's opinions and experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
I am going to need some actual data before I can debate the premise. Or at least, how many years of dating/marriage experience you have had to cause you to arrive at your theory.

But if you are going by my observation, I have not noticed any difference in the rate of romantic relationships in the past 20 years. People who want one will try to get in one. People who don't, won't.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
I dont think it is getting worse I think relationships are evolving with your arguments. In and of itself I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing.

I'll type my compelling arguments later.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM

73 posts, read 87,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am going to need some actual data before I can debate the premise. Or at least, how many years of dating/marriage experience you have had to cause you to arrive at your theory.

But if you are going by my observation, I have not noticed any difference in the rate of romantic relationships in the past 20 years. People who want one will try to get in one. People who don't, won't.
That really doesn't answer the question OP asked.

Relationships are getting worse OP, only a fool would claim otherwise.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:46 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
It sounds like your OP was made from conclusions drawn from reading C-D. Real life isn't this bad. Maybe you're hanging around the wrong crowd or neighborhood? Or maybe you're focussing on the negative?

And giving up at the first sign of trouble isn't necessarily a bad thing. If people are in the process of getting to know each other, and incompatibilities arise, moving on is the right thing to do. Going out on a few dates with someone doesn't mean commitment. It just means you've initiated a process. The outcome can't be foreseen. Sometimes it works, most often it doesn't. This is part of the normal weeding and sorting process.

BTW, there's a third option: they're neither better nor worse. There's always been bad with the good.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:49 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,756 times
You do hear a lot of people whining on the messageboards but then the Internet didn't exist in the 50s either.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds like your OP was made from conclusions drawn from reading C-D. Real life isn't this bad. Maybe you're hanging around the wrong crowd or neighborhood?

And giving up at the first sign of trouble isn't necessarily a bad thing. If people are in the process of getting to know each other, and incompatibilities arise, moving on is the right thing to do. Going out on a few dates with someone doesn't mean commitment. It just means you've initiated a process. The outcome can't be foreseen. Sometimes it works, most often it doesn't. This is part of the normal weeding and sorting process.
I swore I read the Op never dated or had a relationship.That's like asking a virgin opinions on sex. Duh.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:55 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Actually this is what I have observed in everyday life to tell you the truth. Maybe it's just the area I live in, but I have lived in other places as well and have seen the same things. I have talked to a lot of people. And a lot of people I have known came to when they had issues. That is where it's all coming from.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Actually this is what I have observed in everyday life to tell you the truth. Maybe it's just the area I live in, but I have lived in other places as well and have seen the same things. I have talked to a lot of people. And a lot of people I have known came to when they had issues. That is where it's all coming from.
Are you saying you know a lot of people who have broken up with their significant others, or find it difficult to find the one person they want to spend their lives with?

Yeah, we've all observed that.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Imho, I think it's getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships