Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 PM

173 posts, read 155,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not at all. A one night stand is simply that. ONE NIGHT with no implied future sexual involvement. Has nothing to do with whether or not the two people have ever met before.

From wikipedia:
A one-night stand is a single sexual encounter with no implication of further relations between sexual participants. This is regardless of whether a one-night stand was originally intended by either participant to be a one-night stand, or whether further relations between the participants subsequently arise.
But if this person is already your friend it implies there is already a connection.
Also as a professional I place no validity in Wikipedia. I'm sorry that you do.

In most circles the definitions I've discussed are more commonly accepted. As no one who has a FWB would ever call that a one night stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,578,485 times
It hasn't happened yet and likely never will so I guess I don't feel much of anything about them.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:04 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseygrl View Post
But if this person is already your friend it implies there is already a connection.

In most circles the definitions I've discussed are more commonly accepted. As no one who has a FWB would ever call that a one night stand.
I posted the wiki since they provide the commonly known definitions of phrases and such.

As far as their "already being a connection"...that has no relevance at all. People that have known each other can certainly have a one night stand. Been happening for longer that either of us has been living, I assure you. "Hookup" is a very recent term, basically meaning casual sex - a booty call. A new term for a very old practice.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Of course not - they are not the same thing. You clearly misread my post.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Of course not - they are not the same thing. You clearly misread my post.
I've had FWB and we remain friends. We hooked up. It was not a one night stand.

I'm from a more recent era and keep up on the lingo. I hate to be stuck in the past.

Although I find Wikipedia for common terms is like saying CD-R is the end all be all for relationships.

We will have to agree to disagree. I've never had issues defining any area of my life and I never had to reference the internet for definitions.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I've had FWB and we remain friends. We hooked up. It was not a one night stand.
Exactly. Jaysus!! You are completely misreading what I wrote.

Quote:
I'm from a more recent era and keep up on the lingo. I hate to be stuck in the past.
"Era"? LOL!! No worries on that front. I know exactly what they all mean. Some confusion apparently remains on your part, however.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:51 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
How would you feel if a woman you already knew let you know that she wanted to have sex with you one time but didn't want to continue to be friends with you or talk to you afterwards again?
I'd be concerned about catching a sexually transmitted disease (STD) from her, thinking that she may well offer herself out in this same way to however many other males over whatever span of time (or even females? or even bisexuals?) if she is willing to engage in this behavior with me. There are STDs (e.g., HPV, for instance) that have a longer gestation time and show no apparent symptoms for a long while. It is not just the deadly AIDS to be concerned about but also HPV, chlymydia, gonorrhea, hepatitis B (or HBV), et al. I'd be especially concerned about HPV. Read the following from the web about HPV (with my own emphases added to the text):
Human Papilloma Virus (or HPV) is currently the most widespread STD. It affects roughly three-quarters of the sexually active population and a staggering one-quarter of sexually active women, which is why there is a North American vaccine to protect young women from certain types of HPV that are linked to genital warts and cervical cancer. HPV is transmitted through genital contact—via vaginal and anal sex, and also oral sex and genital-to-genital contact. Most times HPV doesn’t show any symptoms until it is far advanced, but genital warts as well as RRP, a condition where warts grow in the throat and eventually cause breathing difficulties are common.

In other words, a woman (or man) can have such a disease for a long time and not even know it and show no noticeable symptoms. So, you just make a mistake one single time by giving in to your lust and you might wind up giving yourself a death sentence. You refer to this hypothetical woman as "a woman you already knew". Well, exactly how well DO you know her? If she wants to have sexual relations with you just one single time and then never ever wants to know you ever again, why would she come up with this idea? Can you say for sure that you really truly "know" her?

It may be best if BOTH persons (you and her) go together to an STD Clinic in a hospital and get tested for the broad cross-section of STDs and then see each other's test results and discuss them with the professionals there before proceeding. Then you can make an informed decision.

Last edited by UsAll; 05-04-2014 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
Donno. tough call.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on too many variables to make a theoretical decision.

I wish I wasn't hungry at 11pm at night.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Jaysus!! You are completely misreading what I wrote.

"Era"? LOL!! No worries on that front. I know exactly what they all mean. Some confusion apparently remains on your part, however.
Just wanted to be sure I was speaking your language. :-)

Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to be sure I was speaking your language. :-)
If you speak English, French, or Spanish, I got it. But you do appear to have a problem reading English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships