Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm also getting tired of running the gauntlet coming outside of the grocery store near our house, it's green peace or salvation army or something or other, one day there was literally 2 or 3 organization/charities.

Same goes with tip jars, everywhere you turn around there's a friggin tip jar sitting there.

Jeez.... LOL... I sound like some old fart, but damn.. after awhile you just want to be left alone.
Tip jars, hmph, I wish; the cashiers here in my town ask, out loud, just before they total up your goods, this way everyone can hear if you refuse to make a donation on the spot. In the past I've always just said yes, but considering they do this almost every other store or I'm in a particular store three or more times that week, I'm more likely now to say, not today. Can't say I don't feel a bit embarrassed after saying no, but it really pisses me off being put on the spot like that and especially the look some give when you say no.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:06 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Tip jars, hmph, I wish; the cashiers here in my town ask, out loud, just before they total up your goods, this way everyone can hear if you refuse to make a donation on the spot. In the past I've always just said yes, but considering they do this almost every other store or I'm in a particular store three or more times that week, I'm more likely now to say, not today. Can't say I don't feel a bit embarrassed after saying no, but it really pisses me off being put on the spot like that and especially the look some give when you say no.
Well around hear they ask if you want to round up you bill. For example if the totalce to $19.30 they ask if you want to make it an even $20.00 and I am not going to miss the extra 70 cents.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Well around hear they ask if you want to round up you bill. For example if the totalce to $19.30 they ask if you want to make it an even $20.00 and I am not going to miss the extra 70 cents.
How nice. It appears mostly they're not looking for .cent donations around here, though I imagine when the cashier ask us how much and we say $1 they will be fine with that while calling you a cheap b under their breath. Some places actually have set dollar amounts set up for you to enter the amounts they've suggested. Nothing wrong with making donations, I do it all the time, I just don't appreciate these tactics, don't guilt people into it, for many it has the opposite effect.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I always get sort of irked when you hear stupid phrases coined by CEO types and spread out like some kind of mental disease that invades the culture.

"Think outside of the Box"

Crap like that....

Another one is "empower" when management at work drops that one on ya, buckle up, cause it usually means more work or some other headaches that are getting shifted your way.

Ok... rant over...

Them be called "buzz words" and the tragic part is the BEMs in charge can latch on those and build stupid, flawed philosophies around them. Ultimately wasting company money.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I must be a cold bastard because I have no problem saying "no."
"Would you like to donate a dollar so kids everywhere can pick their nose?"
"No."

Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I get really irritated with all the solicitation online nowadays. People want strangers to pay for funerals, medical expenses, tuition, trips, etc., without anything in return. How about a car wash, bake sale, talent show -- something?

No wonder parents are raising a generation of "gimme" kids.

The one I get tired of is feeling pressured to make a meal for someone who just had a baby. I don't really understand this concept. When I had my kids I planned ahead a bit and froze some stuff, went to the grocery store and picked up some ingredients for easy meals and have the husband help! Half the time we aren't eating until 9pm at night...I don't have time to be cooking for someone who has been home all day. I know that sounds cold, but been there, done that, it's not that difficult.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I must be a cold bastard because I have no problem saying "no."
"Would you like to donate a dollar so kids everywhere can pick their nose?"
"No."

You are so funny as usual. I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm stern in certain instances, but I do feel guilty at times when I say no. Also, I regularly donate my time and what little monies I can to charitable causes. I think it's important to do what one can where and when one can, not just to alleviate one's feelings of guilt, but because you simply care about your fellow earthly inhabitants. cue violins. But, I do mean it about caring, just don't guilt me. bitoches,

Old 06-22-2014, 06:49 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Went to a baseball game today (kid ball). I bring this big bag that I stuff everything into...sunscreen, sunglasses, jacket...etc. I have this fold up chair and when I hang it off the back of the chair, it's heavy so the chair tips if I'm not sitting in it. You would think I am aware of this.

Today kid hit a ball to deep left, everyone stands up to cheer, I go to sit back down and there's no chair there. I landed right on my tailbone...legs in the air, smacked my elbows on the ground. Yeah...I'm so graceful. My ass is killing me and tomorrow it's going to feel even worse. Uggggh!!!!

Old 06-22-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Went to a baseball game today (kid ball). I bring this big bag that I stuff everything into...sunscreen, sunglasses, jacket...etc. I have this fold up chair and when I hang it off the back of the chair, it's heavy so the chair tips if I'm not sitting in it. You would think I am aware of this.

Today kid hit a ball to deep left, everyone stands up to cheer, I go to sit back down and there's no chair there. I landed right on my tailbone...legs in the air, smacked my elbows on the ground. Yeah...I'm so graceful. My ass is killing me and tomorrow it's going to feel even worse. Uggggh!!!!
OH Dear, hope you feel better. Um no one got a picture for the family collection?

Old 06-22-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
You are so funny as usual. I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm stern in certain instances, but I do feel guilty at times when I say no. Also, I regularly donate my time and what little monies I can to charitable causes. I think it's important to do what one can where and when one can, not just to alleviate one's feelings of guilt, but because you simply care about your fellow earthly inhabitants. cue violins. But, I do mean it about caring, just don't guilt me. bitoches,
Lol. Don't get me wrong I have my charities, but the only ones that get me are those miniature cookie wenches that hang out at stores during certain times of the year. I have no will power against their sweet voices and sweet treats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

Smooth move blondie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships