Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 AM

53 posts, read 76,370 times

Advertisements

I really like the woman I have been dating for the past two months. When she returns from vacation, I plan on having the talk about making our relationship official.

However, one day shortly after our first or second date, I was drinking with a good friend and reminiscing about former love interests and girlfriends. I brought up a woman who I met during an internship across the country in grad school four years ago. At the time, I had a girlfriend back home and there was no way I'd ever cheat on someone. Nonetheless, she seemed like the most compatible woman I ever met. I ended up breaking up with that girlfriend two years later. Anyway, my friend asked to see her on facebook since I talked so highly of her. One thing led to another and he ended up writing up a short message, which I approved, and it was sent to her.

I'm a rare facebook user but was prompted by a friend to check out an unrelated photo on facebook yesterday. It was the first time I logged in since sending the message, 6-7 weeks ago. I noticed I had a reply from her shockingly, but I never read it. I don't remember what I even said in the initial message. I'm sure she still lives across the country so nothing could really ever come of it regardless of what the message said. For all I know she might be married, engaged, or have children. I also don't want to screw things up with the girl I'm dating now.

I feel like I should probably just delete the message without reading it. The thought of reading it makes me feel very guilty, even though my initial message was sent before a relationship was established with the girl I'm dating now. There is really nothing it could say to change my life in any way, but I'm so curious. I hadn't spoke to her since the internship, so it could have come across creepy. Taking a step back, sending the message was strange on my part. Anyway, am I cheating if I read the message? Should this make me feel guilty? Should I just delete it?

Thanks for giving me a moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Cheating if you read a message. Got it.

I will say that IMO, reading words is not and never will be cheating.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:21 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoforastig View Post
I really like the woman I have been dating for the past two months. When she returns from vacation, I plan on having the talk about making our relationship official.

However, one day shortly after our first or second date, I was drinking with a good friend and reminiscing about former love interests and girlfriends. I brought up a woman who I met during an internship across the country in grad school four years ago. At the time, I had a girlfriend back home and there was no way I'd ever cheat on someone. Nonetheless, she seemed like the most compatible woman I ever met. I ended up breaking up with that girlfriend two years later. Anyway, my friend asked to see her on facebook since I talked so highly of her. One thing led to another and he ended up writing up a short message, which I approved, and it was sent to her.

I'm a rare facebook user but was prompted by a friend to check out an unrelated photo on facebook yesterday. It was the first time I logged in since sending the message, 6-7 weeks ago. I noticed I had a reply from her shockingly, but I never read it. I don't remember what I even said in the initial message. I'm sure she still lives across the country so nothing could really ever come of it regardless of what the message said. For all I know she might be married, engaged, or have children. I also don't want to screw things up with the girl I'm dating now.

I feel like I should probably just delete the message without reading it. The thought of reading it makes me feel very guilty, even though my initial message was sent before a relationship was established with the girl I'm dating now. There is really nothing it could say to change my life in any way, but I'm so curious. I hadn't spoke to her since the internship, so it could have come across creepy. Taking a step back, sending the message was strange on my part. Anyway, am I cheating if I read the message? Should this make me feel guilty? Should I just delete it?

Thanks for giving me a moment.
You only feel "guilty" because in your gut you are hoping she expresses some interest.

But no, it is not "cheating" to read her response to your message.

I highly suggest you do it and get it over with.

If she does express interest you have some decisions to make.

If she doesn't express interest you have some questions to answer for yourself about your real feelings for this new lady in your life.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You only feel "guilty" because in your gut you are hoping she expresses some interest.

But no, it is not "cheating" to read her response to your message.

I highly suggest you do it and get it over with.

If she does express interest you have some decisions to make.

If she doesn't express interest you have some questions to answer for yourself about your real feelings for this new lady in your life.

Good luck!
I'm curious but not overwhelmingly so. A good portion of the curiosity is attributed to the social experiment of messaging someone I only briefly knew years ago and seeing how they respond.

I attribute the guilty feeling to my strong interest in the new girl. I would never want to do anything to screw it up or hurt her. I understand commitment during relationships. I really wish I had never sent the message.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
"One thing led to another" is just a cop-out.

WHY did you send a message your "friend" wrote? What did it say??

Old 07-21-2014, 11:37 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
It's not cheating. IMO, you seem to over analyze a lot.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoforastig View Post
A good portion of the curiosity is attributed to the social experiment of messaging someone I only briefly knew years ago and seeing how they respond.

You can lie to yourself... but not to me.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Not cheating...

But I don't understand how you let your friend coax you into sending a message he wrote.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Not cheating...

But I don't understand how you let your friend coax you into sending a message he wrote.
I think the message said something like I think about you from time to time or something along those lines. It was a pretty benign message that indicated some interest. Again, I do over analyze and am prone to feeling guilty.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM

341 posts, read 455,792 times
Read it. Then report. Then we can give you actual advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships