Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ......
I don't mind, he can play at any age 19 42.22%
If he's in his 30's thats fine, but I expect him to wean off it 5 11.11%
It's a turn-off 21 46.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,208,438 times

Advertisements

Video games have historically been associated with boyhood and immaturity. Women want men
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times
Look, I'm a guy, and I'm 35. I rarely play my ps3, usually not even once a week. I don't think thats a turn off, hell some competition in mortal kombat can lead to some "victory" sex.

Does a guy in his 30s need to be home every day playing games? No. Should it be a turn off he plays a game once a week on sunday morning? It really shouldn't, but everyone is entitled to their opinions

Old 08-14-2014, 05:54 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,308,792 times
Turn off: Sitting in a small dark room playing fantasy games on a daily basis--and choosing that scenario over other activities involving other people, outdoors etc.

Not a turn off: Playing with friends on the weekend while hanging out, socializing, etc.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,395,081 times
I wonder if those whos say people over 30 shouldn't play video games shouldn;t watch films or television either.

The highest rated games these days often deal with mature themes and contain fantastic art design, sophisticated writing and narrative arcs. It's not all Donkey Kong and Space Invaders.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,811,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I wonder if those whos say people over 30 shouldn't play video games shouldn;t watch films or television either.

The highest rated games these days often deal with mature themes and contain fantastic art design, sophisticated writing and narrative arcs. It's not all Donkey Kong and Space Invaders.
Yeah, I always wondered what the difference was too. A lot of the games I play have a plot and story to them (I tend to like MMORPGs). They can be a lot more interactive than TV because you have to think and often solve puzzles. TV, yo just there like a lump. I also wonder if a lot of people against video games play some and just don't think of it. Anyone who has played some kind of game on their smartphone plays video games... even Candy Crush counts because guess what, it's a video game

I think people get this image of some overweight guy sitting around playing games all day long and peeing into a Mountain Dew Bottle or something. Like I said, I am a woman and I play video games. I also scuba dive, swim, go camping, do gardening, volunteer with Girl Scouts, etc. To be fair, I tend to play video games a lot more in the colder months when I can't do a lot of these activities (although I travel to warmer places to dive ). It's not like if you play video games it's ALL that you do.

It's like drinking. Some people don't drink, some drink socially, some just like a glass of wine at dinner or such... but that's a far cry from being a alcoholic lying passed out in the street somewhere. It's not all or nothing... same with video games.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:50 AM

11,813 posts, read 12,057,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Turn off: Sitting in a small dark room playing fantasy games on a daily basis--and choosing that scenario over other activities involving other people, outdoors etc.

Not a turn off: Playing with friends on the weekend while hanging out, socializing, etc.
^^^This.

An evening of video games is no different than board games, watching movies, or any other activity amongst friends/family.

When you neglect all of your responsibilities as an adult beyond your job, when isolate yourself in the basement for 8 hours a night and play video games, instead of spending time with your wife and sons, and taking care of your household, you have a problem, an addiction. (This happened with friends of mine, who are now divorced.)

Old 08-14-2014, 06:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I don't really watch either, personally. I just don't like sitting and watching stuff. I can do netflix from time to time, but no more than an hour at a sitting. I never was into video games, even in the days of atari.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:53 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,346,006 times
I'm 50, and when I was single and bored I played quite a bit. But I'm married now and don't have the time for it like I used to. I don't see anything wrong with it if it's not a daily obsession. Like all things, moderation is the key.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:09 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,091,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't really watch either, personally. I just don't like sitting and watching stuff. I can do netflix from time to time, but no more than an hour at a sitting. I never was into video games, even in the days of atari.
Agree. I will watch TV occasionally... usually the discovery channel or national geographic. I don't watch any shows on a regular basis though. I'll surf the net but I'm usually doing some kind of work on the computer at that time as well.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 AM

898 posts, read 938,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
MAJOR turn off! Youre not a child, you need to act like an adult.
I played a game last night as I was winding down for the night. I have my own place, I own a car, I pay my bills on time, I take care of a pet, and I make good money. I don't know why playing games (once in a while) as part of your leisurely activities constitutes a person as being a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships