Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ......
I don't mind, he can play at any age 19 42.22%
If he's in his 30's thats fine, but I expect him to wean off it 5 11.11%
It's a turn-off 21 46.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,261,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Is it a turn-off if a guy is above 30 years old and still plays with videogames?
I think most american women like it. Even better if it's a shoot em up type of game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,468,732 times
I like to play video games myself - but only on occasion. Playing together is a good way of bonding with a guy. However - if he has to play every day, then that is no different than someone who has to drink alcohol every day, or smoke weed every day, or buy himself something at the mall each day, etc. No compulsion is any better or worse than the others, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd never date a guy who plays every day. But the great thing about that is, those guys don't usually seek women for building a relationship with - they are too wrapped up in their fantasy lives and in wearing a hole into their spot on the sofa or their recliner to pursue a woman.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:34 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,844,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Is it a turn-off if a guy is above 30 years old and still plays with videogames?
I don't care. As long as he doesn't have a problem with my stuffed animal collection, it's all good.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,261,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

I'd never date a guy who plays every day. But the great thing about that is, those guys don't usually seek women for building a relationship with - they are too wrapped up in their fantasy lives and in wearing a hole into their spot on the sofa or their recliner to pursue a woman.
Well, i think it would be wise to log off more often. The real world is out there, waiting (and i don't mean going to the nearest bar with the intention get completely wasted). Many people miss out on so many real life opportunities due to so much online entertainment these days. And at the end of the day that is sad.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,946,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
MAJOR turn off! Youre not a child, you need to act like an adult.
Why are you correlating video games with childhood? They aren't exclusive to each other. My wife and I, in our thirties, both play video games. Anymore they are more entertaining than movies. We just finished a horror game that was faaaar more enthralling, and frightening, than any horror movie I've seen. Plus..get this.. I'm physically active as well. I run, mountain climb and peak-bag, wilderness backpack, mountain bike, ski, and I travel extensively as well. I have a good social life, a respected profession, and so on, but because I play video games I'm a child? C'mon son. But go ahead and keep your outdated notions if you wish.

For whatever reason, it seems people equate video games with addiction. Well, any addiction is problematic. Most people can drink, and yet aren't alcoholics. Most people can eat, and yet not become addicted to food. And so on, yet even on this thread, people have said 'I don't mind, as long as he's not addicted or its in moderation'. Why throw that qualifier in? Why are you assuming this activity means addict? When on earth did people start equating the two? It baffles me.

Besides the real people to watch out for are the ones who have to check Fb everyday and go into crisis mode if they are separated from their phones for any length of time.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 AM

185 posts, read 461,883 times
I met my husband of nearly 3 years on a video game online (no, not WoW, though he got me to play it after I moved in for a bit).

We play video games together all the time, and we also play with another couple who met online, and another.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,323,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
MAJOR turn off! Youre not a child, you need to act like an adult.
Perhaps we should tell our Grandchildren that we are "adults" now and we are not allowed to play Mario with them because that would be acting like children.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:43 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,319,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I like to play video games myself - but only on occasion. Playing together is a good way of bonding with a guy. However - if he has to play every day, then that is no different than someone who has to drink alcohol every day, or smoke weed every day, or buy himself something at the mall each day, etc. No compulsion is any better or worse than the others, as far as I'm concerned.

Just my 100% unsugarcoated opinion. I don't seek women to build a relationship with because it's way too much work these days and not worth the effort. I have my dog, friends, and my PS3 to keep me company.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,647,163 times
It depends. How often does he play? Does he do anything else in his spare time? What does he think about it? Is he a videogame engineer?

It's not necessarily a turn-off. It becomes one if it becomes obsessive and a huge black hole of resources and time spent in the real world. Many men play video games and they don't allow it to be the center of their lifestyle, and that's not a turnoff. If they do, then it is as much a problem as any other unhealthy addiction. I chose the second option because by the time we have children, he won't have time for it again anyway until they're old enough to play Duckhunt, and I don't know many men who still play videogames in their 40's, so they must wean off at some point when life becomes real.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:46 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,812,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Just my 100% unsugarcoated opinion. I don't seek women to build a relationship with because it's way too much work these days and not worth the effort. I have my dog, friends, and my PS3 to keep me company.

Pffff... PS3. Read this!

6 Reasons To Buy An Xbox 360 Instead Of A PlayStation 3 - Forbes

Of course, you can always get both and be doubly happy though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships