Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeLoveNotWar View Post
Thanks.

So you don't think he's like a sociopath or anything? Such as the other poster mentioned? It's ok, and I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, but, I just find it fascinating the extremes in opinions.

I have noticed also that he seems to shrivel up when I walk near him and immediately flushes red. *shrugs* yeah! he's definitely immature.
He may be a sociopath. Sociopathy is basically a giant defense mechanism at the core. But the point is, clearly he feels threatened by you in some way - you are a threat to his self/ego - otherwise he wouldn't be lashing out at you like that, trying so hard to dominate you.

Personality disorder or not, he's messed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:19 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
He sits far away from me (like I have the cooties) and sometimes rolls his eyes at me, but always manages to stare me up and down?

He acts disinterested (looks at his watch like he's checking the time because he has to go) but turns around and asks to drive me home??? Only to look at his watch when he drops me off again? Like I'm a bother?

He tries to bully me around and tell me what to do only to shut down on me and not speak to me once I get fed-up and put him in his place?

I know it sounds so High School and we ARE adults, but, can someone please tell me wtf is going on, here?

We have really good conversations and he is always complimenting me and watching me and I can tell he enjoys my company, however...

We're not friends, just associates, but he makes me feel so bad about myself. Like he can't stand me. I never initiate anything with him (and certainly not romantic)...at least not anymore. I'm just afraid he is going to try and hurt my feelings.

What is this about/should I do?

He does it RIGHT now, but you want him anyway ...
Don't be so easy - stop talking to him, don't let him drive you home, turn around and walk out when he is there. That's what you should do. Otherwise he will continue with those games.
You are no friends. He is NOT your friend. Let him know you are not interested. Period.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 PM

422 posts, read 447,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Start avoiding him.
Thanks Raena. I will.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Sociopath... jerk... game player... who knows what his issue is. But it sounds like you'd be better off staying away from him since he makes you feel bad. Life's too short to put up with people who make you feel badly.
Thanks.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This. He's playing games with you, OP. Emotionally abusive games. Getting involved with someone like that would turn your life into a living hell. Keep your distance.

The reason you're somewhat intrigued is that his behavior is inconsistently rewarding, so it can be kind of addicting. Like gambling, which is designed to have intermittent rewards so that people keep trying for a win, and occasionally they get one, so they keep at it, he's giving you occasional positive feedback, but he makes sure to deliver that sandwiched inbetween slaps in the face. See the pattern?

I see.

This is very helpful. Someone told me it's his way of trying to control. I will keep my distance.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
It's actually not funny. He's rude and he makes you feel bad, I don't see any humour in that situation or people like that. You feeling attracted to him is a sign you need to work on some self esteem building. Moons should accept poor treatment from others.

You're right. It's not funny, but it's almost as if you become jaded after dealing with this stuff for so long. *shrugs*

Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Quote:
You're right. It's not funny, but it's almost as if you become jaded after dealing with this stuff for so long. *shrugs*
There's always hope for a better relationship, you don't have to accept this kind of bull****.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
He may be a sociopath. Sociopathy is basically a giant defense mechanism at the core. But the point is, clearly he feels threatened by you in some way - you are a threat to his self/ego - otherwise he wouldn't be lashing out at you like that, trying so hard to dominate you.

Personality disorder or not, he's messed up.

Right and I think I know why:

Basically, he's the handsome "it" guy that every girl goes crazy over. I have not. Ever. Was not attracted to him in the least and then one day out of the blue, he starts working his way in. A little something here. A little something there. It's like he caught me off guard.

For the most part, I'd like to think I'm pretty confident and always put myself together well. Not the smartest chick, but I've got some intelligence about the world, I have degrees, knowledge of culture, etc.

Not trying to sound like I'm better than him or anything, just stating a possible theory as to why he could be behaving like this towards me? Or maybe he senses my inferiority complex, lack of relationship experience...

Sound plausible?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
There's always hope for a better relationship, you don't have to accept this kind of bull****.
Thanks Djuna. I needed that bit of scolding.

I remember years ago my pastor's wife suggested I see a therapist about my inferiority complex/self-esteem issues as it relates to relationships. I laughed it off all this time but now I realize how right she was as I seem to keep attracting the same type of guy.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:51 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Right and I think I know why:

Basically, he's the handsome "it" guy that every girl goes crazy over. I have not. Ever. Was not attracted to him in the least and then one day out of the blue, he starts working his way in. A little something here. A little something there. It's like he caught me off guard.

For the most part, I'd like to think I'm pretty confident and always put myself together well. Not the smartest chick, but I've got some intelligence about the world, I have degrees, knowledge of culture, etc.

Not trying to sound like I'm better than him or anything, just stating a possible theory as to why he could be behaving like this towards me? Or maybe he senses my inferiority complex, lack of relationship experience...

Sound plausible?
Yup. That's it. It bugged him that you weren't attracted to him, so he started trying to manipulate you. And it gives him a warped satisfaction that he's managed to hook you a little, and that he can keep your attention while treating you badly at the same time. It's like he's punishing you for having not been attracted to him, while still getting the satisfaction of knowing he could attract you in spite of yourself.

He's a sicko.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships