Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:28 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeLoveNotWar View Post
It's time. I don't know why I waited so long. Guess I thought this was an area of my life that would eventually iron itself out. So much for trying it my way. Guess it's time to actually see someone.
You may have to try out several different therapists. Some may see it as "just" a dating issue, and may counsel you on a superficial level. If you want to get down deep, you'll have to look for someone who does that kind of work. Hypothetical example: if there are abandonment issues in early childhood, that could be causing the self-esteem issues. So you'd need to find someone who works with family-of-origin issues, as opposed to someone who just gives dating advice and general self-esteem advice, if you see what I mean. Psychologists are better equipped than MSW's (social workers), but not all psychologists deal with childhood issues, abuse, abandonment, whatever. And among those that do, they have different methodologies. There's a big learning curve involved in choosing a good therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 06:12 AM

422 posts, read 448,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
You may have to try out several different therapists. Some may see it as "just" a dating issue, and may counsel you on a superficial level. If you want to get down deep, you'll have to look for someone who does that kind of work. Hypothetical example: if there are abandonment issues in early childhood, that could be causing the self-esteem issues. So you'd need to find someone who works with family-of-origin issues, as opposed to someone who just gives dating advice and general self-esteem advice, if you see what I mean. Psychologists are better equipped than MSW's (social workers), but not all psychologists deal with childhood issues, abuse, abandonment, whatever. And among those that do, they have different methodologies. There's a big learning curve involved in choosing a good therapist.
I agree that a psychologist would be best. I know I need one with a specialty in self esteem issues. I'm sure it would help to make me a more well-rounded person so that hopefully I can stop attracting these types of guys.

You give really wonderful advice. A big thanks for everything.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Sounds like he doesn't have the social skills like the 5 th grader who used to pull my hair or sock my in the arm to get my attention.
Yeah but even they couldn't help letting something sweet slip out of their mouths once in awhile.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
What's there to figure out? Most people will take as much as you give them. Do you enjoy having your feelings played with? Would you feel better about it if you can put a name on it?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:33 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,603,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Sounds to me like he likes you, a lot, but is intimidated by his feelings for you. He doesn't like the hold you have over him because it makes him feel powerless, so he "puts you in your place" to make himself feel better, less insecure, and more in control.

In short, he's insecure and immature and I would stay away from him. He doesn't know how to handle or express his feelings properly.
Isn't he doing what the so-called PUA experts tell him to do?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 PM

422 posts, read 448,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Isn't he doing what the so-called PUA experts tell him to do?
Huh?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:56 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,603,421 times
Quote:
Huh?
Act aloof, uninterested, etc?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Act aloof, uninterested, etc?
Yes, and it works, but only to attract women with low self-esteem, as so many have mentioned on this forum before. Here we have a prime example.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:24 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Right and I think I know why:

Basically, he's the handsome "it" guy that every girl goes crazy over. I have not. Ever. Was not attracted to him in the least and then one day out of the blue, he starts working his way in. A little something here. A little something there. It's like he caught me off guard.
Nah... I don't think he is a sociopath or mentally unstable. He is a player, now irritated, because you are not like other girls "crazy over him". You challenged him, and caught his interest. Guys get easily bored with girls that are easy and crazy about them. You are not - and he can't figure out why.
I see that he is working his way in. Probably never learned a proper talk with a girl. Why? He didn't needed to be nice, or polite - those crazy girls didn't care. But now he is confused, and just don't know how to act.
I know those types. He might even start to try harder, and be nice...
Just don't give up. As soon he notice that you are interested, he will go back to his old behavior...
But who knows? He might decide that it's worth to change. For you.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:29 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,418,521 times
Quote:
He sits far away from me (like I have the cooties) and sometimes rolls his eyes at me, but always manages to stare me up and down?

He acts disinterested (looks at his watch like he's checking the time because he has to go) but turns around and asks to drive me home??? Only to look at his watch when he drops me off again? Like I'm a bother?

He tries to bully me around and tell me what to do only to shut down on me and not speak to me once I get fed-up and put him in his place?

I know it sounds so High School and we ARE adults, but, can someone please tell me wtf is going on, here?

We have really good conversations and he is always complimenting me and watching me and I can tell he enjoys my company, however...

We're not friends, just associates, but he makes me feel so bad about myself. Like he can't stand me. I never initiate anything with him (and certainly not romantic)...at least not anymore. I'm just afraid he is going to try and hurt my feelings.

What is this about/should I do?
Rude behavior isn't something I tolerate.

Say.. if your mom is your best friend, and she were to get involved with someone, would you:
A) advise her to give rude guy a chance
B) advise her to NOT give jerkoff the time of day
C) realize everyone has flaws, but this flaw she doesn't have to deal with
D) analyze over and over and tell her this person secretly loves her despite the insanity of it all

There's no need to sit around and analyze rude behavior. Instant cross off the list. Done. If this person has anger issues, they need to deal with that on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships