Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 07:07 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Exactly. I didn't even bother reading the article when I saw it was an oped from The Washington Times. I love how the author implies that mean need to get married to become responsible adults amd that those who delay marriage are irresponsible. But the best part is how she assumes young women dream of getting married. Um, maybe young women dream of being happy.

Threads like this bring out to the bitter men at CD. Oh it's the law which favors women. Oh it's those evil feminists who ruined it for men. Oh it's those girls going for bad boys instead nice guys. Blah, blah, blah. The same tired excuses we hear from so many men frustrated by the dating world. Personally, I applaud any make who postpones marriage until after 30. Get your career established, pay off any debt you have, figure out what you want in life, and then decide whether marriage and family are what'll make you happy. The right wingers in this country are so obsessed with getting everyone married off and having babies. Where are people like the author when those marriages go bust?
The bold is not mutually exclusive with marriage. In fact, marriage makes less sense once you are established because by then you have more assets to worry about and have to deal with the marriage penalty.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:11 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
'Beginning in 1999, unmarried includes "separated".'

So it's not just men who aren't 'choosing' marriage, it's also men who chose marriage and found it didn't work out.

Oh, and starting in 1999, more men are being counted as part of the study than before 1999.

And "separated" is in quotes.

And how many people in their early 20s can actually afford to get married?

And why do people think this somehow means that men aren't simply entering long-term relationships without ever feeling the need to get married?

These are just a few of the issues you will run into when dealing with right wing news sources.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:13 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Oh boy!

Another thread which is picking and choosing articles building some finely polished straw men articles supported by some carefully chosen and presented stats to provide a "feel good" argument to be selfish and single through vilifying marriage and women in modern society.

Yay.

I do not mean to say there are not truths burried in this this somewhere, but finding the truths is like finding a needle in, well, a straw man.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post

So it's not just men who aren't 'choosing' marriage, it's also men who chose marriage and found it didn't work out.

Oh, and starting in 1999, more men are being counted as part of the study than before 1999.

And why do people think this somehow means that men aren't simply entering long-term relationships without ever feeling the need to get married?

These are just a few of the issues you will run into when dealing with right wing news sources.
A marriage license is about $60. My bar tabs are more than that.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:19 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
A marriage license is about $60. My bar tabs are more than that.
But 'proper' weddings are expensive, wedding rings are expensive, honeymoons are expensive... and then there's the sense that marriage implies children, a nice home, etc.

Most people out there want to do it right, not just do it for the sake of doing it.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
But 'proper' weddings are expensive, wedding rings are expensive, honeymoons are expensive... and then there's the sense that marriage implies children, a nice home, etc.

Most people out there want to do it right, not just do it for the sake of doing it.
Do it right? You don't need to spend $50K on what is basically a party to get married.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
Why is it men's fault that men don't want to get married? I blame family law and how it favors women when it comes to alimony, child custody, child support, division of assets, no fault divorces, etc.
Men not marrying before 30's? I see that as a good thing. Hopefully everyone is just smarter now than they used to be.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:45 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:

Huh? It costs next to nothing to get married. And two really can live cheaper than one. But I do think that people need to be financially stable before they even think about getting married.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:50 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Hahaha - and I thought only women were pathetic for not being married!...seriously though, any numbers reported for MEN or WOMEN before the age of 28 or 30 is misleading in this day and age - many people are consciously delaying getting married because of school and work/debt issues.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:09 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh? It costs next to nothing to get married. And two really can live cheaper than one. But I do think that people need to be financially stable before they even think about getting married.
There are many little girls that are raised to believe marriage needs to be fairy-tale like. NBC recently published the "average" cost of a wedding to be just over $31,000.

I have gone around and around with some young brides to be in the past trying to talk them out of spending this kind of money. The concept is so ingrained in their heads, like a right of passage, that you can't talk sense into them.

Anyone that starts a new married life by immediately being in the hole just from the party is too immature to be tying the knot IMHO.

The Average Cost of a Wedding Soars to More Than $31,000 - NBC News

Another side of the coin here .. what if there is a growing percentage of young women in this age group that are now realizing the world is just simply bigger than the husband, white picket fence and 2.3 kids that has been spooned fed for generations?

I know several of these ladies, including my own sister, that have traveled abroad and lived the life of a self supporting, educated, cultured professional ... and really, REALLY likes that lifestyle. She hasn't been in a relationship in years, and her past 2 relationships (over the span of over 15 years) were suffocating. The men had traditional expectations that she would 'settle down' into the roll of the woman that takes care of the home and wants to raise a family. These relationships drove her stir crazy to the point that she axed them. She enjoys traveling the world without having to answer to anyone with the exception of her professional obligations (to pay for the lifestyle, of course). I know another young woman, mid 30's, that recently "liberated" herself from her stuffy relationship for the same reasons. She is a traveler that is educated, cultured and self supporting - and her man expected her to settle into a traditional role, so she axed the relationship and then moved across country because she could while starting plans for this year's trip abroad, buying a new house and orchestrating a complete overhaul renovation on it (and paying for the professional work and materials with cash).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships