Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:15 PM

155 posts, read 302,869 times

Advertisements

So i've been with my boyfriend, the love of my life, for 4.5 years. When we first started dating the topic of children came up and he said that while he doesn't want kids, he would want whatever i want. Fast forward all these years and we had a major decision come up about moving and where our relationship is going. He now says that he doesn't want kids, period. He doesn't feel like he would be a good father/provider. He loves me and wants to marry me but he wants me to be aware that he will never be ready for kids.

I feel like I've been stabbed in the heart. I love this man. He has been my everything, my world for all these years. I'm 31 but before him I never loved anyone else like this. I'm also a super picky person and have a hard time opening up to anyone. I truly fear that if we break up, I won't be able to find someone else that i love to this extent. If it's a choice between a child (and who knows if i can even get pregnant) and him, I would choose him. I'm so scared about being by myself again. I just don't know what to do!!

Any opinions are welcome but please be kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 01:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
So i've been with my boyfriend, the love of my life, for 4.5 years. When we first started dating the topic of children came up and he said that while he doesn't want kids, he would want whatever i want. Fast forward all these years and we had a major decision come up about moving and where our relationship is going. He now says that he doesn't want kids, period. He doesn't feel like he would be a good father/provider. He loves me and wants to marry me but he wants me to be aware that he will never be ready for kids.

I feel like I've been stabbed in the heart. I love this man. He has been my everything, my world for all these years. I'm 31 but before him I never loved anyone else like this. I'm also a super picky person and have a hard time opening up to anyone. I truly fear that if we break up, I won't be able to find someone else that i love to this extent. If it's a choice between a child (and who knows if i can even get pregnant) and him, I would choose him. I'm so scared about being by myself again. I just don't know what to do!!

He changed his mind apparently. He was honest with you. He did nothing wrong. Now it's your decision, him or kids?

/thread.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:19 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
What's scary about being on your own? Fear isn't a good reason to go through with a relationship, or marriage especially.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:22 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
You have a difficult choice to make; have faith in your decision.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
You're only 31. Move on.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:29 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post

I'm sorry for this, I would have been suspicious from the get-go based on the bold part. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think people change their mind on this as much as some people seem to think. I experienced a similar situation to this, we both didn't want kids then she changed her mind and wanted kids. I did not and it is one thing I will never change my mind on. We broke up and went our separate ways. You'll have to decide which is more important to you.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
One might ask why the two of you haven't married after 4.5 years together?

Old 05-10-2015, 01:30 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
If he REALLY doesn't want kids, is he willing to have a vasectomy? It shouldn't be all up to you in prevention.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:31 PM

155 posts, read 302,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's scary about being on your own? Fear isn't a good reason to go through with a relationship, or marriage especially.
I'm afraid that I won't find someone else that I can be myself around since it took me so long to find him! I feel like he can read my mind. Finding love is pretty rare.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:33 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
As you said, you would sacrifice your possible motherhood over him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships