Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:37 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,203,194 times

Advertisements

Im on the fence about this because people find out about your past (espescially women) and fixate on it. They will now think you compare them to one of your exes, or feel insecure because you wanted to marry one of your exes...blah blah.

Actually...there was a thread on here where the guy said he stupidly spent tons of money on an ex girlfriend, money that he could not really afford to spend. He got smarter and now doesn't blow money like that. But now his current girlfriend found out and is upset that he is not blowing money on her like he did on his ex. Stupidiness.

See....some people cant handle the past. They just cant. They will listen to your past and then develop issues about stuff that you cant even control.

I know. I have done that to people. Sad to admit it. So, knowing some very basic general information is fine, but getting all deep into your past relationships....umm......I just dont know if its a good idea.

Also, for the people who want to know the bad things a person might have done in their past relationships. Just how bad do u think the person will make himself look? For instance, do you really think an abuser will say to you " why yes, I beat the living crap out of two of my ex-girlfriends!!". Don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:40 PM

21 posts, read 19,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
He doesnt bring up past relationships because a person should not bring up past relationships. The past is the past and none of the other persons business. Bringing up past relationships only causes problems.
My husband on our very first date without me asking outright told me. He has no relationship with his son since his divorce decades ago. But no matter how I ask him what happened on 'that' night they had a big fight... or details of his divorce? He won't tell me anymore.

It was his sister that told me he had a nasty divorce. When I told that to him, he admit it was nasty.. but again... no more details.

It used to bother me, but not anymore. Now I am secure with his feelings for me.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
I have had some poor reactions to talking about past relationships. I never voluntarily talked about it, I was pressed and even cajoled.

Then the comparison game begins, feelings are hurt, etc. Why haven't I taken her on a trip? Why don't we have some specific thing that we are bonding over that I had with an ex?

I believe that well-adjusted people don't need to know details about former relationships. I don't care to know a thing, not a name or anything, about my girlfriends's ex boyfriends or spouses.

Maybe I am unusual in that way.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:46 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningout View Post
My husband on our very first date without me asking outright told me. He has no relationship with his son since his divorce decades ago. But no matter how I ask him what happened on 'that' night they had a big fight... or details of his divorce? He won't tell me anymore.

It was his sister that told me he had a nasty divorce. When I told that to him, he admit it was nasty.. but again... no more details.

It used to bother me, but not anymore. Now I am secure with his feelings for me.
He walked away from his son because of a nasty divorce? Or did the son walk away from him? Both BIG red flags.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM

21 posts, read 19,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
He walked away from his son because of a nasty divorce? Or did the son walk away from him? Both BIG red flags.
His son was only months old when they divorced. So guess he walked away. From what he told me, he said he does not want his son to witness how his ex belittle him while the son is growing up. Or something like that.

As a result he does not want kids anymore. His reason was he is too old. I always suspect it's because of this experience. So I ask him again the REAL reason why he does not want any more kids he said ' he can't afford them '. Whatever that means.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:35 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The latter doesn't necessarily indicate a red flag.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 33,562 times
Yes if you guys have been together for a while now. At some point you should open up about things like that. But if you just started seeing each other then give it some time.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,358,403 times
In my opinion, it would depend on what you mean by 'refuses.'
What I mean is I don't believe in this 'let it all hang out' approach, but if there were something really awful in the person's past I'd want to know about it.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:57 AM

408 posts, read 723,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
In my opinion, it would depend on what you mean by 'refuses.'
What I mean is I don't believe in this 'let it all hang out' approach, but if there were something really awful in the person's past I'd want to know about it.
Define really awful?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:18 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Depends on how long you've been together and what he refuses to say. I would wonder why he didn't want to talk about it at all - that's not a good sign.

Those relationships are part of his past, like it or not. While you don't need to know the dirty details, understanding where someone comes from is important. That said, I think those conversations should happen naturally, not through badgering.

In the 3 long term relationships I've had, we discussed our pasts over time. It can really give good insight and never caused problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships