Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,251 times

Advertisements

My GF and I have been dating for almost two years now. Early on, I found out she had a rather high number of “partners” which I certainly struggled with, but was able to get over.

Another struggle I had was when I found out she cheated on one of her ex’s for about 5 months with someone who was mutual friends to them both. This happened when she was 19 (so about 4 years ago). As I am sure you can imagine, this made me think very critically of her character as well as the guy she had the affair with. Over time, though, I attributed to her young age and immaturity.

Fast forward to about 7 months ago and this same guy is now dating one of my GF’s friends. As a result, I have had to be around him more and more frequently due her friend’s relationship.

He seems like an alright guy to be around, but the thing that kills me inside is that every time we are all together, all I can think about is how this other guy had his hands all over my GF and slept with her on multiple occasions while her BF was clueless. It makes me not trust him and makes me feel a sense of resentment towards my GF. I often think like, “Is she checking him out right now?” Another thing that bothered me is one time while drinking, my GF’s friend bragged about how big his penis is and my GF just smiled, so there’s also a sense of insecurity on my part.

I struggle with these negative feelings because I don’t want to feel this way or think about it, but it keeps haunting me every time I am around the guy. One time my GF and I had an argument it slipped out and I told her I don’t ever want to be around him because of their past.

So my question is this: how do I cope? I tell myself I can’t blame her for her past, but I also can’t stop but think about the above mentioned things. Am I just overreacting? I never tried to keep us from hanging out with them due to my feelings, but I still don’t feel comfortable each time.

Any advice, comments, or sharing of similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 02:52 PM

783 posts, read 850,062 times
Can't give you any advice, but I would feel the same way. I feel for you bro.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Sucks. I totally get it.

At least she was honest ... imagine you wouldn't know and it somehow came to light later on ..

Nothing you can really do.

Too big penisses hurt. What's on the other end of it is more important.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Yeah, I would not be ok with that.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:51 PM

Any advice for me if she responsed in a nasty/angry manner?

Old 08-06-2015, 05:53 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adviceseeker1008 View Post
Any advice for me if she responsed in a nasty/angry manner?
Yeah, start playing that game as well and call up a few of your ex girlfriends.

Bad or not, sometimes to get a woman's attention you have to do to them what they do to you. Then they get all pissed off and then realize that they do the same thing to you. If they still don't see it and don't change, you dump them.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:10 PM

Even though I should have saved the convo for face-to-face, this is what unfolded:

Me: Every time I am around X, I think about how you had an affair for 5 months
Her: Ok lol
Me: I am bringing it up because it bothers me
Her: No need to bring it up rn. I know you want to keep me away from my friends
Me: He disrespected you and your relationship
Her: when I was 19
Me: If I had a girl around that I had an affair with, you would feel u uncomfortable
Her: Not if you ****ed her 4 years ago and her best friend was dating her and I knew you had no interest in her
Her: 4 years is a very long time
Her: but keep pulling **** out of your ass to fight about
Her: you’re just controlling and don’t want me to have friends
Her: you ruin my life every day
Her: I hate you

Old 08-07-2015, 01:17 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:

Any advice, comments, or sharing of similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Dude, it was years ago and she is with YOU now. Don't be a whiner around her, it will only make her look at you as insecure. Just cowboy up and be glad she is your GF, and shower her with love and affection, not resentment, or you'll run her off.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:19 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Even though I should have saved the convo for face-to-face, this is what unfolded:

Me: Every time I am around X, I think about how you had an affair for 5 months
Her: Ok lol
Me: I am bringing it up because it bothers me
Her: No need to bring it up rn. I know you want to keep me away from my friends
Me: He disrespected you and your relationship
Her: when I was 19
Me: If I had a girl around that I had an affair with, you would feel u uncomfortable
Her: Not if you ****ed her 4 years ago and her best friend was dating her and I knew you had no interest in her
Her: 4 years is a very long time
Her: but keep pulling **** out of your ass to fight about
Her: you’re just controlling and don’t want me to have friends
Her: you ruin my life every day
Her: I hate you
Well, clearly you already screwed up and were a whiner.

Are you that controlling? If so, she should leave you and find somebody who is comfortable in his own skin and isn't shaken to the core when running across an ex-lover. Jeez.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
Sounds like a horrible set to be paired with one another.

It really has nothing to do with blame on either end, so do not make it about blaming each other. Approach this as the issue and not the issues that lead up to you having this hang up.

Your SO is feeling like you are blaming her for your own issues. This isn't the way to go deeper in to this and come to an understanding with one another. You're working against one another.

I always find this forum interesting in the way people treat these type of issues. People will tell others to discuss their issues with their partners and have an open communication, but then they will chastise blame and vilify them when they do so and it doesn't go well.

You're an odd bunch

Last edited by rego00123; 08-07-2015 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships