Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 11:56 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,016,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm inclined to agree that the average teenage boy's sex drive is a considerably more powerful than the average teenage girl... but certainly not to the extent of evading personal responsibility.

With regard to that, I'll put this out there for consideration:

When women behave badly due to hormonal reasons, even when older, we chalk it up to the hormones -- a much more popular possibility than her merely being badly-behaved.

Take the most powerfully-hormonal years of a male's life... and combine them with being young enough to not yet possess a fully-formed foundation (and awful alliteration) for judgment... they KNOW right from wrong, but their judgment is actually impaired by youthful stupidity and sex drive gone into overdrive.

This is NOT an excuse; but it DOES spell out why young men are often morons, seeming sex-fiends and quite ridiculous. No excuse for bad behavior, but definitely a thing worth noting.

I just KNOW someone will latch onto this, insisting it means so much more than I said, or suggesting I'm trying to excuse behavior when I am not; but there it is, at least in part.

NO, not to the extent of evading personal responsibility. When it comes to certain overt acts I will NOT buy the whole "He didn't know better" line of garbage.

But when it comes to things like confused signals, mixed societal messages for both sexes, and the above... well, it might explain a few things like pressuring (still wrong), not knowing where to draw those lines, confusion when no doesn't actually mean no (I'm teaching my son the difference between "Not yet" and last-minute "no", because that is a minefield, one requiring patience, the other requiring the realization that you are late for the nearest door; one is a girlfriend, the other is trouble waiting to happen).

Old 09-25-2015, 12:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If a guy raped a girl I don't think he would get off on that basis. However, a private building such as a church as a right to have a dress code regardless of what their reasoning is. You could not go to most places of work in hochie mama shorts with your boobs hanging out, why do you think that would be ok in CHURCH!!
I have no idea where you got that from . Nowhere have I advocated or even mentioned the "I can dress however I want" canard. Actually, I believe females should be cognizant of the message their clothing choices send.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:24 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,926,023 times
Quote:
I was never raised to be ashamed of sexuality. Actually, "raised" is a bit of strong word, because I had a rather feral upbringing, with virtually no rules or supervision; I had the ultimate freedom to form my own views and develop a moral compass. Ironically, I got into a lot less trouble and had sex later than all my friends, who came from normal families, with parents and church and rules and guidance. There was nothing for me to rebel against, I guess, LOL.

Due to some other things that happened when I was younger (not sure if I'm comfortable sharing), I developed a callous early on, which allowed me to skip right past the "I just want boys to like me" stage. Instead, I was quite adamant that I would not be a human fleshlight for some horny teenage boy; schmoozing and sweet-talking does not work with me, and I have a nose for bull****. I would have sex when I was good and ready, completely unencumbered by societal views or anyone else's expectations. And that's how it all played out: a positive attitude toward sex, nor weird hang-ups or need to play coy games.
excellent post!

Old 09-25-2015, 12:38 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
So I am not understanding the issue, I mean how many times have you been involved in conversations in church involving stuff like this. Most of the time they are discussing the bake sale .... unless you come to church dressed like a hooker then someone might say something.

I stopped going because I have issues with what all these churchs support ..... or lack of support for getting rid of no fault divorce. None of them seem to care but yet they keep pushing the purity and marriage. So there are inconsistency's there but that's another issue.

Quote:
I have no idea where you got that from . Nowhere have I advocated or even mentioned the "I can dress however I want" canard. Actually, I believe females should be cognizant of the message their clothing choices send.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So I am not understanding the issue, I mean how many times have you been involved in conversations in church involving stuff like this. Most of the time they are discussing the bake sale .... unless you come to church dressed like a hooker then someone might say something.
The Mr. was a minister for over a decade (a more unlikely pair is tough to imagine), so I've born witness to more than I'd care to remember. Usually that type of topic is covered in youth group meetings and teen sunday school classes. There's whole curriculum devoted strictly to the topic of purity, and it's not uncommon to have an annual seminar for the teens... and Purity Balls. While those are still fairly obscure, they are certainly... interesting.

Again, this is more common in conservative denominations, not something that is universal to all churches.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:51 PM

Purity Balls...

Sounds like something you'd call Mr. Goody Two-Shoes.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:52 PM

^^LOl. The first time someone mention it to me, I assumed it was the modern version of a chastity belt.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:15 PM

She with her chastity belt, he with his purity balls...

Together they're creatively immaculate conception.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:19 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
The Mr. was a minister for over a decade (a more unlikely pair is tough to imagine), so I've born witness to more than I'd care to remember. Usually that type of topic is covered in youth group meetings and teen sunday school classes. There's whole curriculum devoted strictly to the topic of purity, and it's not uncommon to have an annual seminar for the teens... and Purity Balls. While those are still fairly obscure, they are certainly... interesting.

Again, this is more common in conservative denominations, not something that is universal to all churches.
I have an old friend who's rather conservative, and back when school started she and her church friends were on FB sharing tips on how to encourage their girls to dress more modestly. There was no mention of encouraging their boys to do the same.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:22 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Yep, women need to be good because men can't control there selves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships