Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,258,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I agree that you should read my post where I said I don't. I was just testing this one out but I will not pursue. Why are you so disconnected with this need to advise me when I specifically said I don't want it?
I guess sitting around talking about their "core competencies" or not wanting to "boil the ocean" on dates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:22 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,979,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Thank you.
No, it's not thank you. It's your masculine side pointing fingers.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:22 AM

52,395 posts, read 52,898,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
My ex once asked me to look over a work email he wanted to send to his boss. I edited it for grammar, punctuation, and content. He got angry because I was "undermining" him and all he wanted was for me to say that the email made sense. Apparently his masculinity felt threatening when someone pointed out his flaws.
There was a co-worker of mine, a young dude, and he would write some of the most god awful emails, I mean I would just cringe at some of the 8th grade level mistakes he would make.

All he had to do was run the spelling and grammar check and it would catch most of them, matter of fact outlook and other professional grade email programs catch a lot of that stuff for you.. so I don't know how he managed to make so many mistakes.

The problem is is that he was a salesman and communication in that position is "extra" important as we were an engineering company and most of the people were techie types and I think sometimes grammar isn't always the strongest trait with those types, not making excuses, you should still make the effort, but I think that was probably part of his problem.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,389,678 times
I will say, though, OP, that while I'm not familiar with this corporate speak you're referring to, I don't make it a point to "show" how smart I am any chance I get, even in casual settings and contexts. Like using fifty dollar words for the sake of using them makes little sense to me. Now, using such words in their correct context does make sense. Just because they're not common or commonly understood doesn't mean they're used as a way to show off. Even when I've used them in their correct context (on here, even) there's always someone who throws a mini conniption because they perceive it to be a sign of arrogance and condescension. No, it just means I know my sh*t.

However, I don't use the terms in question in casual conversation. Only when warranted.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,837,882 times
Quote:
You mean a "stickler."

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I agree, though, that repeated mistakes aren't typos. It's one thing to be pedantic about things like "can vs. may" or "bring vs. take," but certain things, such as "you're vs your," should have been learned in high school. I understand that people are in a rush while typing and don't care as much on a message board, but that kind of should be ingrained in your head by now.

And can people please stop using ellipses as periods, or worse, multiple commas? When you write like that, I picture you babbling like a lunatic with spit drooling out of your mouth. If you don't know what an ellipsis is for, don't use it.
Ha! That is funny. I too have mental images of certain posters, but based on the content of their posts, not their punctuation or spelling. There's one poster here who I always picture as Alvie of the Chipmunks, and "hear" his words in that cute little chipmunk voice.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,613,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
You must feel really good all over your body.. I should of known "Missclutterbuck".

See, there is absolutely no need for it. We should be having a conversation rather than trying to undermine each other. You can take that as advice.
Here's some advice back at you: it's should HAVE known.

Oops, there I go, showing off my education.

You have a history of showing absolute disdain for women unless they accept second-class status, so yes, you probably should HAVE known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
In the case of the guy I mentioned, it was saying things like "this seems like a good idea unless the wheels come off". Or using the word "takeaway" with reckless abandon. I knew we were done though when he actually used the phrase "tapping my resources" in casual conversation.
I'm trying to picture how "tapping my resources" gets worked into a casual conversation. lol

2,846 posts, read 2,979,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
So in all the sanctimony of the OP, he didn't even mention her misspelling of "put?" How magnanimous.

Regardless, for every inarticulate or grammatically challenged person who gets on the internet to reveal his or her insecurities by casting aspersions on--excuse me, throwing shade at--those with larger vocabularies and greater skill with language and writing, there is an educated person who will not so much as consider dating an illiterate mope who uses "u" as a word in written communication.

Win-win!
Why can't we have a conversation without all this hostility? If we were seated at a table for dinner and I deliberately had the waiter exchange your silverware for plastic utensils, while me keeping my sharpened blade, do you seriously think you would utter such nonsense in my presence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_lijLYuw-o

Old 11-19-2015, 11:28 AM

52,395 posts, read 52,898,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Can someone provide an example of corporate speak? I'm trying to picture how it would be used outside the work/corporate context.
"Think outside of the box"

Corporate lingo and buzzwords... LOL, there's tons of websites out there that list out that nonsense.

"Team player" crapola, just basic stuff you'd hear at a Tony Robbins seminar....

Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Here's some advice back at you: it's should HAVE known.

Oops, there I go, showing off my education.

You have a history of showing absolute disdain for women unless they accept second-class status, so yes, you probably should HAVE known.
I immediately zero in on "should of" every time I see it. It bugs me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships