Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:45 AM

213 posts, read 508,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I think you should be more embarrassed about not understanding that you didn't do something strategically wrong and that's why the interest wasn't reciprocated. Holding the girl's hand had nothing to do with it. She wouldn't have been interested anyway.
Just me being critical and extra-hard on myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,910,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
Just me being critical and extra-hard on myself.
Well knock it off.

You will have a lot more success if you figure out there is nothing wrong with expressing your interest, either verbally or with actions. What is wrong is second guessing yourself or not being OK if someone doesn't return that interest.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:51 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And where exactly did he say he was "wronged"?
Here:

Quote:
I've been acting out of hurt because I've felt wronged and don't know how to cope.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:52 AM

I think it is good that the OP seems to be more self-aware than most of the "struggling guys" here who fret about being "rejected."

Old 01-15-2016, 11:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
They're honestly not one and the same Wmsn4Life . I've been through a hodgepodge of P/T, F/T, temp and unpaid work over the last three years. I simultaneously held down a temp job and unpaid internship (which turned into my current job) some time ago, hence the overlap when you piece both stories together.

I did meet both around the same time period, yes. I was initially attracted to both due to the common ground we shared, yes. I did develop unrequited feelings for both, yes. But that's where the similarities end.

Girl #1 was and still is in an LTR; we NEVER went on a date. We just hung out for lunch. Yes I was under the wrong impression at the time, but it was a no-go from the beginning.

Girl #2 explicitly told me that she'd been single for years prior to our date when I asked her out, and that she wouldn't mind going.

Yes this is an embarrassing pattern, but it'd be even more embarrassing if I'd been stuck on one girl for 2+years after countless threads and advice on C-D, which isn't the case.
Ok, good.

Either way, not every woman YOU like is going to reciprocate, and like I said before, they aren't obligated to.

So the goal, to me, is to learn to regulate your emotions better so you can break this pattern of investing too much before there's anything of substance there and subsequently turning around and blaming yourself.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:02 PM

185 posts, read 242,114 times
OP wasn't wronged he just felt like he was, emotions aren't always rational, especially when it comes to rejection. It seems like he realizes this and is working on it, not sure why some of the tones in here are so hostile.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:45 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,977,786 times
Getting straight to the point is not hostile, some of us can see the real issue here and we are addressing those facts now whether the OP wants to take the constructive criticism is on him but no one is attacking the OP personally. He has a history of this behavior and it needs to stop period or things are not going to turn for the good for him.

This is a perfect example of how guys end up with sexual harassment suits and restraining orders because they don't want to accept rejection and understand not everyone they're interested in is going to be interested in them and there's nothing they can do to change that. OPs behavior can lead to bigger problems & issues if he doesn't get control over his emotions especially since he's approaching women in the work place.

If OP would stop trying to persuade women to be interested in him he'd stop having these issues. Either a woman is interested or she's not and if she's not move on and stop thinking it's something you can do to change her mind. OP is the classic case of the "nice guy" that thinks being nice and trying to be everything she wants him to be will make her want him when the reality is it doesn't. It's also why some men become resentful and bitter because they think being the "nice guy" will absolve them from rejection when it doesn't.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:22 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Getting straight to the point is not hostile, some of us can see the real issue here and we are addressing those facts now whether the OP wants to take the constructive criticism is on him but no one is attacking the OP personally. He has a history of this behavior and it needs to stop period or things are not going to turn for the good for him.

This is a perfect example of how guys end up with sexual harassment suits and restraining orders because they don't want to accept rejection and understand not everyone they're interested in is going to be interested in them and there's nothing they can do to change that. OPs behavior can lead to bigger problems & issues if he doesn't get control over his emotions especially since he's approaching women in the work place.

If OP would stop trying to persuade women to be interested in him he'd stop having these issues. Either a woman is interested or she's not and if she's not move on and stop thinking it's something you can do to change her mind. OP is the classic case of the "nice guy" that thinks being nice and trying to be everything she wants him to be will make her want him when the reality is it doesn't. It's also why some men become resentful and bitter because they think being the "nice guy" will absolve them from rejection when it doesn't.
Actually Wmsn's post and Just A Guy's posts were constructive.

Your posts seem to vilify the OP as a cad rather then somebody who needed direction.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post

Well said.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Actually Wmsn's post and Just A Guy's posts were constructive.

Your posts seem to vilify the OP as a cad rather then somebody who needed direction.
She is strongly cautioning him, and is giving good advice. I'm sure the OP is mature enough to take constructive criticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships