Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:07 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,523,622 times

Advertisements

I don't think many men mind, if anything it means she would be spending more time at his place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 05:09 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,943,287 times
There's no reason for a man nor woman to be living with parents at that age, barring extraordinary circumstances. You are halfway through your life by then. Get it together.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:21 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,485,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
If/when the relationship becomes intimate, there's always my place... where the indulgence in freedom isn't bounded by privacy-concerns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I don't think many men mind, if anything it means she would be spending more time at his place.
See, women are going to get tired of always being the one to pack up, remember everything from prescriptions to phone charger, and stay over. It gets old. Really, REALLY old, especially if you have a pet that has to go with you like a dog or a bird.

And what if he doesn't have his own place, either?

Sorry, but the whole thing sounds so long ago to me, a stage I outgrew at 23 when I got my own place. One of the hallmarks of adulthood to me is privacy. Aside from one SO in my mid-20s and my ex-hub, I have never lived with another human being from that point on. Maybe some people don't like living alone, but that would be a red-flag for me because I like a lot of time alone, both to work and relax.

At any rate, I probably would not date a man who didn't live alone, even if he's taking care of an ailing relative. My thinking is if a parent is so ill they need live-in help, maybe that's a little bit too much of a time commitment and would preclude the kind of relationship I'd want. (I would prefer not to date someone with minor-age kids for the same reason.) My parents are long gone and my sister has her husband and kids to take care of her if anything happens to her. In all probability I will never be tapped to be a caregiver unless it's for a partner for some reason.

That's one reason why I am very hesitant to get back into dating, actually. I just don't know that I want to run the risk of nursing someone through an illness 10 years from now, especially when men are far less likely to return the favor for a woman even after 25 or 30 years of marriage (as has been discussed with links ad nauseum on here). I'm more inclined to focus on my network of single women friends for that, as having a good bunch of 7 or 8 women spreads the time burden around and no one has to live with anyone full-time for that.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,509,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
There's no reason for a man nor woman to be living with parents at that age, barring extraordinary circumstances. You are halfway through your life by then. Get it together.
Oh I hope not. That would mean I'm dying in six months when I turn 70.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:43 PM

52,309 posts, read 52,777,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh I hope not. That would mean I'm dying in six months when I turn 70.
Lemmy and David Bowie both died at 69 and 70. I think that's still on the young side. I'm hoping to make it till about 80, I think if I can pull that off, it'll be a good thing, course when I'm 80, I might have second thoughts. My dad is 74, but he's a rough in bad shape 74.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:46 PM

11,811 posts, read 12,053,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Maybe not halfway through but definitely almost middle-aged.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,509,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Lemmy and David Bowie both died at 69 and 70. I think that's still on the young side. I'm hoping to make it till about 80, I think if I can pull that off, it'll be a good thing, course when I'm 80, I might have second thoughts. My dad is 74, but he's a rough in bad shape 74.
Both my father and his father died at age 71 and my uncle at 69. Not good! I'm shooting for 83 but will settle for 76.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:48 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
If you're in a high cost of living place like me, no one bats an eyelash. I know loads of professional men and women earning 80-100k+ living with roommates. Generally it means they're financially smart and prudent.

I live alone and have since 40 or so (did most of my 20s as well in the Midwest), but it has no effect on dating I've found. It just flips flops where you spend the nights.

Just because someone would rather spend $1000-1200 on a room vs 1500-2000 on a one bedroom doesn't mean much, its just priorities. When I lived in SF I knew no one not in rent control without roommates.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 PM

52,309 posts, read 52,777,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Maybe not halfway through but definitely almost middle-aged.
In American or western culture is customary to live on one's own, other cultures, not so much, but here it's a sign of being a mature adult to be handling ones business. I just can't for the life of me think that it's acceptable to be 35 and having roommates or living at home. I mean I get that things happen in life and all, but for he most part I'd really sort of wonder about a 35 yr old woman living at home with her parents, but in all honesty I think there's a bit less of a stigma for a woman to live at home at that age than for a man. I think it's just slightly less, cause woman can pull the safety card and not want to worry about being a single woman, safety, etc etc, IDK. Just generalizing here.

If I found myself single again, I would definitely factor that into my dating life. I don't expect women to make a ton of money, but enough to afford a basic place and basic financial maturity.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:52 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,042,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Roommate okay but living with parents?

Nope nope and nope. There is no excuse for being an adult lacking in independence and even an attempt to provide for and look after oneself. That's not functional adulthood.
This. The guys that I have dated that did not live on their own, were not functional men. They lived with their parents for valid reasons and they were dating to find a new parent, not a partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships