Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2022, 10:19 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times

Advertisements

I came hear to B & M (****** & m04n) about work. Then I read some of the last posts that I haven’t been back (in some time) to read.

I’m glad to read that folks are doing well or have great stories.

I think I will be great at being old and crabby. Like Maxine on the calendars. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 10:44 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This past weekend I went to visit some family from my late dads side, who came into town in Eastern NC. Now I don’t have the greatest history with my extended family but I thought it would be helpful to me to go. I’m truly glad I went. My dad and I didn’t have the greatest relationship but listening to stories told by his family and going back and seeing his hometown really was an experience that opened me up to what he was like even prior to my existence.

I even got a couple of stories from family who did recruiting in the military and recruiting is my subject matter expertise at work. I left super happy I went and I want to take advantage of more opportunities to spend time together with them. Doing things like this I was very resistant to do in the past I feel helps to open up more of the world for me and I don’t have to stay just a traumatized kid from the streets of Virginia.
You'll probably have more of these types of moments as you get older. Glad to hear some good came out of the visit.

Old 10-28-2022, 11:30 AM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This past weekend I went to visit some family from my late dads side, who came into town in Eastern NC. Now I don’t have the greatest history with my extended family but I thought it would be helpful to me to go. I’m truly glad I went. My dad and I didn’t have the greatest relationship but listening to stories told by his family and going back and seeing his hometown really was an experience that opened me up to what he was like even prior to my existence.

I even got a couple of stories from family who did recruiting in the military and recruiting is my subject matter expertise at work. I left super happy I went and I want to take advantage of more opportunities to spend time together with them. Doing things like this I was very resistant to do in the past I feel helps to open up more of the world for me and I don’t have to stay just a traumatized kid from the streets of Virginia.
I actually think taking the time to meet with your extended family was an excellent idea especially given the kind of complicated relationship you had with your own parents. Both in the stories that they tell but also sometimes in the subjects that they also don't want to discuss, you start gettting a much better idea of why your parents turned out the way that they did. Your extended family especially once you are over 18 and independent of your parents is in a position to fill out a lot of your family history about your dad (or your mom) that starts explaining why your dad saw the world the way he did. There still may be some behavior you don't want to forgive, but it can put his actions in context of why he was the way he was which helps you start figuring out why you are the way you are

Old 10-29-2022, 01:30 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Things have been going well for me in life so far with my academic and professional achievements. I will be graduating with my Masters in May and I'm so happy. My ultimate goal is to cultivate a nice life for myself in the near future. I want to live humbly and comfortably. Own a nice house in a safe neighborhood, a nice car, with a feline companion or two lol. Running my errands, exercising, and taking care of my responsibilities with ease. I can see that very clearly and I can't wait! It's been a long time coming.
:

Congrats! You go girl!

Old 10-29-2022, 09:10 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
That is wonderful news. You have been working hard and you can see the end point on your educational journey. Your goals are completely reasonable, you should be able to get a nice house and and a nice car. I am sure when you get your cats, they will train you to be an ideal human.

We make great pets!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
:

Congrats! You go girl!
Thanks guys! I'm almost there!!!! Once I finish school I'll finally be free to live my best life and pursue art like I need to lol

Old 11-01-2022, 01:00 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
My son has arrived at Job Corps, after his first time traveling alone by plane...which went pretty well. He was anxious about it, but such things tend to be less difficult than one imagines they will be.

This is pretty much his last chance for figuring out a way to survive, he has nowhere else to go really at this point, so I hope that he finds it to be a situation he can deal with. My older son did not have a great experience with Job Corps, but it was a different center, so who knows...but his circumstances were also somewhat less desperate.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:03 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Fingers crossed, Sonic

Old 11-02-2022, 01:48 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Anyone got any plans for T day?

Our overall family sitation has really changed the last few years. Usually it's big extended get togethers but not so much these days.

We're kind of thinking of pulling together a little mini T day for ourselves, nothing fancy but a T day knock off, or we're thinking of maybe going out to a local resturant that has a T day spread.

Not sure, doesn't feel quite so homey doing the dining out thing, but it is convient for sure.

We also did a yearly alternate thing for T day back in the day. Every other year we'd just have small thing and the extended family did their own thing.

So on one of those "off" years a few years back we went and got a HUGH spread of Chinese food and took it over to Mrs. Chow's mom's house. It was just the three of us. With her being in a nursing home now writing that out just now has a bit of a sting to it than I thought it would.

But back to a happier note, what are everyone's plans.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:06 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
My niece is hosting this year (my sister got Halloween which is a huge bash), I have xmas.

For the normal holiday dinners there are 8 adults, 2 kids and 7 dogs. It's chaos, but lots of fun.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-03-2022, 12:10 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
My sister and BIL have taken over the Thanksgiving day hosting, which is great, but I'm a bit nitpicky because he does the cooking and he's a Thanksgiving for lunch guy. When my mom was in charge, almost my whole life, we would eat at 5pm, and now you have to be at their house at noon. Things change, but it feels weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships