Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2022, 10:56 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving for us will be another fairly quiet affair with me, my husband and his Dad...I'll cook, because I always cook. But this year I need to think of sides that I can make that will be keto diet friendly for my husband, so that should be interesting.

A very strange thing happened this week. A couple of nights ago, we were watching a Jon Stewart video where he interviewed Katie Porter. I really like both of these people, so I was pretty eager to see it. Now, my husband leans more conservative traditionally in his life than I do. Both of us were Independents for ages, he's voted Republican more than I have in the past, but both of us think that the recent developments are, to put it mildly, Not Cool. So I have switched my affiliation, but he's still Indy. I don't really expect or demand that we will always agree on all things. He still consumes some right leaning media (he's an Adam Carolla fan, and watches some specific business/stock related Fox stuff.) But we generally are pretty chill in our conversations and can have calm but nuanced conversations with a minimum of fuss or hyperbole around here. But after watching the Stewart/Porter show which was an hour long, he said that what upset him was that people on the left seemed to be saying that Republicans were "evil" and "needed to be rounded up" and that talk was alarmingly like Nazis/Jews and... I was like dude, whoa there...who said that? I have not heard anybody say that. No one in the video we just watched said that. He said, "well they implied it." They absolutely did not. There was a lot about issues and positions and who is doing what to try and make the world a better place, and who seems to be trying to stand in the way...but I didn't hear one bit of talk that sounded like persecution of people on the right at any level.

And this whole thing, the tone of it, was really weird. I wondered what he'd been watching, that he leapt to this conclusion. He isn't usually this fired up or agitated about things. It left me very, "what is going on, are you OK?"

The next night he told me that he'd been wrangling with his doctor to get a refill of his blood pressure meds and had been off of them for 3 days. And that he wasn't feeling great, and not sure if it was in his head or a result of not having his medicine. I'm not sure if his high strung attitude was because his blood pressure was going up or because he was stressed about not having his prescription, but it sure was strange. He was, for a little while there, not quite the calm and reasonable dude I am used to having around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 11:37 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Completely off you topic Sonic, but we had one of the best Thanksgiving meals in Phoenix while traveling.

It was a buffet at a hotel up on a hill, and the food was amazing. Lobster bisque, huge selection of meats cooked to perfection... everything I ate did NOT taste like it came from a buffet. It was pricey, but I felt it was worth the cost.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-04-2022, 11:44 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Completely off you topic Sonic, but we had one of the best Thanksgiving meals in Phoenix while traveling.

It was a buffet at a hotel up on a hill, and the food was amazing. Lobster bisque, huge selection of meats cooked to perfection... everything I ate did NOT taste like it came from a buffet. It was pricey, but I felt it was worth the cost.
Was the place named something like "Wydham Buttes" or some other "Buttes" I think it's in Tempe, right near the Tempe Diablo stadium.

I ask only because if it's that place, they have the most incredible pool areas I've seen in a long time.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:07 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Sonic, I have heard of instances where elevated BP can cause all sorts of different behavior. Hopefully, he was able to get his medication situation straightened out with his DR.

How is your son doing at Job Corp? I know it has only been a few days.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:32 PM

Man...a Thanksgiving buffet sounds like heaven, but we have his Dad to consider and he really doesn't like to go out. Mainly because he doesn't want to have to do Depends and could need to dash to a bathroom at any moment, so he's just way more comfortable being in his own home as much as possible. Which is understandable. I have so much compassion for the aging, I mean, it's where all of us are headed, unless we die first. And doing what we can to be good company and care for him is why we're here, anyways. So I will cook. And I like doing turkey about once a year! I'm pretty good at it! Though for us, I just make a good sized turkey breast since we don't want to be totally buried in leftovers.

It's just that my preferred sides are pretty carb heavy, and husband's diet is based on avoiding sugar and carbs, so... I'll have to collaborate with him, but it's no big thing. We'll figure it out.

Husband did get his medication sorted out, took his pills yesterday evening and is back to being his usual good natured self. I think just not having seen this before, it was peculiar and noteworthy and I may be a little more alert to mood changes as a possible sign of "something ain't right" health wise for him, going forward.

My son... We've had a couple instances of mild emotional dust-ups where he called me and let me talk him down, which I would love to NOT have to do, but I'm willing to help when I can. This morning he was feeling, "maybe I should quit, I can't do this" just because he had to wait some hours for a smoke break and was super antsy. But once he went out he called me and told me that it was just a bit of a mood and it passed. He says that everyone is really nice to him, he's having a hard time sleeping through the nights but they say it can take a little time to get used to the new place and the routine. He actually likes the food a lot! They are monitoring his meds, so he's consistent on those and of course he can't do drugs there...one of my bigger hopes of what he can get out of this is a significant period of time to get his brain chemistry sorted out. Because it was like, he went from developing this mental illness and we only gradually figured out what was wrong and it took time to figure out what meds would help, by the time we got through that he'd started smoking pot with his Dad and ended up doing it just about every day for a few years...never has he been sober but on the meds that help him. I think he needs to do that for a while, see if he can be functional and independent under those conditions.

His driver's ed class starts in less than 2 weeks, which I'm really happy about. I got him his permit years ago and I did get him out to practice quite a bit, and he was quite easily good at it when we did, but there would be periods of time where he just didn't want to try...so we never got quite to the point of getting him comfortable in high traffic situations or on the interstate, or getting him ready to test for his license. But he did take to the basics much more naturally and confidently than his brother did, which was odd. He was initially planning to train for Cisco IT stuff but he's thinking of switching to carpentry. Personally I am less invested in the trade training than I am the notion of a couple years free room & board with sobriety, and getting him licensed to drive. Those things alone are pretty huge. Getting certified in some trade would be amazing, though!

Old 11-04-2022, 12:45 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
Sonic, have you ever had Rumaki? I think it would be Keto friendly. It's chicken livers, soaked in soy sauce or Terriyaki sauce, wrapped in bacon, and grilled.

We find them to be delicious.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:55 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Was the place named something like "Wydham Buttes" or some other "Buttes" I think it's in Tempe, right near the Tempe Diablo stadium.

I ask only because if it's that place, they have the most incredible pool areas I've seen in a long time.
I tried looking it up. Arizona JW Marriott Phoenix Dessert Ridge or the Biltmore.

The interior of the Biltmore looks familiar, but the Marriott sounds familiar and I remember having amazing views of the city.

I dunno.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-04-2022, 01:57 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Thanks for the update SS, I am glad to see that your son is making things work and that your husband got his medication.

As far as Thanksgiving for our family - In the past, it would always be hosted at my mom's house and she and my step-dad would do the turkey together and the rest of us would help with the side dishes.

Since he passed in 2021 (January) I suggested to my mom that we save ourselves time and all of the work and order the entire dinner from Marie Calendar's last year. I hosted at my house and did the warming up of the food. I also made a couple of extra sides. We invited friends over and it was really good.

Doing the same thing this year!

Old 11-04-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Sonic, have you ever had Rumaki? I think it would be Keto friendly. It's chicken livers, soaked in soy sauce or Terriyaki sauce, wrapped in bacon, and grilled.

We find them to be delicious.
It sounds pretty delicious, but I don't know if the sauce would be a problem for my husband...though I imagine he's got some sort of keto friendly soy or teriyaki sauce. He loves his sauces, but had to buy a whole bunch of special products to avoid sugars and some particular oils, I guess. It's been quite the production, but he says he is feeling a great deal better and he's definitely losing weight (at a gradual and healthy pace, according to his doctor.)

I'll consider it. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2022, 02:10 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I tried looking it up. Arizona JW Marriott Phoenix Dessert Ridge or the Biltmore.

The interior of the Biltmore looks familiar, but the Marriott sounds familiar and I remember having amazing views of the city.

I dunno.
This is the place, great views of the whole valley. I went there a hundred years ago for a work-related convention type thing, and I was pretty impressed. The rooms are nice, but nothing too special, but the rest of the place is pretty cool.

Mrs. Chow and I are planning a trip there this coming spring.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...2&gclsrc=3p.ds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships