Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2021, 09:45 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
So did his score on his DMV test improve while taking it on acid?

Inquiring minds want to know!
He did not have to take a test, he was getting a duplicate ID sent to him because he lost his wallet.

(And his reaction to losing his wallet, was "They're gonna steal my identity! I might as well kill myself!" Melodramatic much?)

In fairness, I THINK...hope?...think...that he would not take acid or other drugs and get behind the wheel. Even his very problematic father knows better than to drive under the influence. But both of my sons dug in their heels and resisted learning to drive and getting a driver's license. I managed to get both of them some road time and they both have a learner's permit, but after they moved out, I kept trying to arrange time to get them behind the wheel and neither one was willing to cooperate.

My older son seems to think that having a car is just a big waste of money (he is a pretty hardcore cheapskate) and he will rely on the bus, and his girlfriend, to get around. Whatever.

My younger son wants to have a car, but like everything else he wants in life, the idea of the end result is very appealing but putting in any kind of effort to get there is ugh, wahhh, why does life make me work, it's so unfaaaiiirrrrr... The irony is that he got into right wing Q stuff, and here I am, the left leaning and blue voting one, trying to lecture him about having a work ethic. But ya know, his father is sure willing to be that kind of hypocrite, too. All well and good to talk about other people being lazy drains on society, but it's fine when THEY do it. That's different, somehow. Maybe it goes back to what my husband says, "That which one criticizes in others, is that which one hates about oneself but is unwilling to face."

Anyways.

I just...I'm exhausted and don't want to deal with any of it anymore. I need to go away and stop constantly being dragged into crazytown. It sucks that these people in my life don't have other loving and generous support contacts to replace me, I'm sorry that their lives will be hard, especially my son's, but I'm gonna go be selfish for a few years.

I'm only glad that I can still laugh at some of these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 12:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
I was someone with a more right leaning tendency until about 5 years ago. The older I get the more centrist I become. I believe with freedom comes responsibility.

It is a frustrating world we live in. This week was a week of aggravation. I have been pretty mellow the last couple of years. This week some of the issues rose to the surface.

Yesterday I helped some friends pour concrete for a patio. Running a wheel barrow took a toll on me. Once it was poured and doing the rest of the work, it was sort of fun. I am sore today. Reminder that I am not as young as I once was.

Working from home today, writing reports. I don't mind writing reports. Listing to 60s rock music on Spotify. Maybe that speaks to the "old soul" aspect of me.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I was someone with a more right leaning tendency until about 5 years ago. The older I get the more centrist I become. I believe with freedom comes responsibility.

It is a frustrating world we live in. This week was a week of aggravation. I have been pretty mellow the last couple of years. This week some of the issues rose to the surface.

Yesterday I helped some friends pour concrete for a patio. Running a wheel barrow took a toll on me. Once it was poured and doing the rest of the work, it was sort of fun. I am sore today. Reminder that I am not as young as I once was.

Working from home today, writing reports. I don't mind writing reports. Listing to 60s rock music on Spotify. Maybe that speaks to the "old soul" aspect of me.
Or maybe classic rock is just AWESOME.

I admit I'm not in the mood for it as much as I used to be. I cling to functionality by listening to more upbeat music that makes me feel energized. A lot of the 60's rock I like is kind of more mellow.

But as someone who got all into the goth scene in the 90s, I have to say, I really think that Jim Morrison was kind of a very early proto-goth. All the way down to the bad poetry and the leather pants.

I like Led Zeppelin, and some Grateful Dead. Jimi was incredible. But while I acknowledge the talent of Pink Floyd, I can't really listen to most of it, because it's just too much of a downer. I find it depressing. I never understood why so many of my fellow young people back in my wilder days wanted to get high or do acid and watch "The Wall" because to me it was just SUCH a huge bummer.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I admit I'm not in the mood for it as much as I used to be. I cling to functionality by listening to more upbeat music that makes me feel energized. A lot of the 60's rock I like is kind of more mellow.

But as someone who got all into the goth scene in the 90s, I have to say, I really think that Jim Morrison was kind of a very early proto-goth. All the way down to the bad poetry and the leather pants.

I like Led Zeppelin, and some Grateful Dead. Jimi was incredible. But while I acknowledge the talent of Pink Floyd, I can't really listen to most of it, because it's just too much of a downer. I find it depressing. I never understood why so many of my fellow young people back in my wilder days wanted to get high or do acid and watch "The Wall" because to me it was just SUCH a huge bummer.
Led Zeppelin is awesome. Robert Plant is still excellent. Looking forward to the new album he did with Alison Krauss. Hope it is as good as Raising Sand was.

The 90s Grunge music is second "go to." Perhaps there are some similarities.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Led Zeppelin is awesome. Robert Plant is still excellent. Looking forward to the new album he did with Alison Krauss. Hope it is as good as Raising Sand was.

I will never...never never...forget my younger son asking me a couple of years ago, "Mom have you heard of Nirvana?"

I was a teenager in the 90s. I literally turned 20 in the year 1999. Have I ever heard of...

I still listen to Soundgarden a lot. I feel towards Alice In Chains about the same as I do for Pink Floyd, I guess. Nirvana, too. They were great, and once in a blue moon I'll hear a song and remember that I like it, but their vibe is too depressing for me to play it much on purpose.

No shock to me given where I'm at in life today, the activities and social groups I have landed in now, but I always really loved industrial music. Nine Inch Nails, sure, but more even than that, the stuff that David Bowie was coming out with during the years he collaborated with Reznor. The albums "Outside" and "Earthling" from the mid to late 90s are just SOOOOO good. I say, no shock given my present lifestyle, because when the music video for "Closer" came out, I was pretty well obsessed with it. I guess all roads were leading in a certain direction.

Though I have gone and tried to rewatch it recently and now, lol...I feel like I'm getting old...but I'm just worried about the monkey. It did not look happy to be involved, and you can't exactly get proper consent from a monkey. Tsk tsk, Trent Reznor. Tsk Tsk.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:49 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
We took a couple of COVID tests today. One was for a current COVID infection, the other was for past infection with antibodies.

We both tested positive for the past infection with the current test showing negative results.

I knew we had it. About three weeks ago we were both sick with flu like symptoms. Not exactly a shocker that we had it.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:28 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We took a couple of COVID tests today. One was for a current COVID infection, the other was for past infection with antibodies.

We both tested positive for the past infection with the current test showing negative results.

I knew we had it. About three weeks ago we were both sick with flu like symptoms. Not exactly a shocker that we had it.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:

The couple of weeks after the assignment I had a month ago several of the folks in the office I was in came down with COVID. I came through it all without feeling ill. I didn’t miss any work. I am certain the vaccine did its thing and kept me healthy.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:24 AM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Jim Morrison was definitely Proto Goth.

Quote:

Quote:
The couple of weeks after the assignment I had a month ago several of the folks in the office I was in came down with COVID. I came through it all without feeling ill. I didn’t miss any work. I am certain the vaccine did its thing and kept me healthy.
I am glad both of you pulled throughthis with no major issues. That is good to hear.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:42 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:

I have a big swing in music I/we listen to. Go from Dean Martin to The Judds to Slayer. Mix many others at times too.

Growing up it seemed like I always hung around friends and their older brothers. I remember hearing a lot of 70s bands like Zeppelin and Cream and those types back in the day. I got to where I'd just tune them out. Later on growing up I found them again and Zepplin by no doubt is probably one of the very best hard rock bands ever.

I'm an 80s kid. Metallica is my generation's Zeppelin to many of us growing up in that era. The 80s was a crazy era for music, so much of it was fun and frankly, frivolously self-indulgent.

Nirvana hit in around 91 or so and kicked all of that to the curb. Hard rock "grunge" was born. Every decade tends to have its own sensibilities in many ways. I love many bands from that era and listen to them frequently. My memory stick in the Challenger has a tons of songs on it. Just an hour ago I went to the store and Alice in Chain's We Die Young came up and all these many yrs later it still sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships