Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2022, 08:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My mom passed many years ago. Mrs. Chow's mom has Alzheimer's disease and in some ways has already passed.

Mom energy is one of the powerful, palatable and undeniable in this world.

Nothing gets in the way of the momma bear.
I totally get the in some ways has already passed. Especially with Alzheimer’s, you can be in disbelief that the person you knew is still here in physical form but mentally they are a stranger. Only thing one can hope is that they live an existence where they can leave it gracefully with no prolonged suffering for them and their loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 11:17 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I totally get the in some ways has already passed. Especially with Alzheimer’s, you can be in disbelief that the person you knew is still here in physical form but mentally they are a stranger. Only thing one can hope is that they live an existence where they can leave it gracefully with no prolonged suffering for them and their loved ones.
Her spirits are good, she seems happy and content. About the best we can ask for.

She recognizes us on a lizard brain level but I'm not sure she knows exactly who we are. Mrs. Chow will hug her but it's just not the same. Hard to explain it.

We have to take the loss and that's fine, as long as she's content, best we can hope for.

Old 05-09-2022, 02:49 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,790 times
Quote:
Her spirits are good, she seems happy and content. About the best we can ask for.

She recognizes us on a lizard brain level but I'm not sure she knows exactly who we are. Mrs. Chow will hug her but it's just not the same. Hard to explain it.

We have to take the loss and that's fine, as long as she's content, best we can hope for.
That is the most heart-breaking thing about Alzheimer's. The people who have it are often not feeling too bad, but those who love them often grieve twice, once as the loved one they knew is taken from them by the disease, and once again when the person passes away.

I am sorry that you and your wife are going through that. It can be very difficult.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
That is the most heart-breaking thing about Alzheimer's. The people who have it are often not feeling too bad, but those who love them often grieve twice, once as the loved one they knew is taken from them by the disease, and once again when the person passes away.

I am sorry that you and your wife are going through that. It can be very difficult.
Thank you.

I wasn't trying to be bummer on mom day. We had sort of a big day on Saturday. The family got together to go through some things of their mom's things. She's in a nursing home and we're trying to get her house ready to sell

It was just so surreal dividing her stuff up.

Feels wrong, but it what it is.

I've known her 30 yrs now and it's sad watching the decline. But she's doing well enough and like I said she seemscontent and again, about the best we could hope for.

She's a lovely gracious woman and treated me like one of her own. I couldn't have asked for a better "MIL"

Old 05-09-2022, 03:01 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:

That's got to be hard, Chow. I think you explained it better than you know.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:14 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I was tickled because both the stepsons called me for Mother's Day. One was an adult when I married the dad, the other a preteen. I don't expect a call, so it was nice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-09-2022, 10:53 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Chow I am sorry to hear about your mother in law. My uncle had dementia before he died. One thing that did help was singing. Right before he was getting ready to die, my mom and aunt went to see their brother. Initially, he didn't recognize either of them. My mom and my aunt though started sing Irish Folk songs from their youth and that he did recognize. It turns out singing uses a different part of your brain and he could still access that. So he started singing along which created a much better final set of memories for my mom and his sister.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:17 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Thank you.

I wasn't trying to be bummer on mom day. We had sort of a big day on Saturday. The family got together to go through some things of their mom's things. She's in a nursing home and we're trying to get her house ready to sell

It was just so surreal dividing her stuff up.

Feels wrong, but it what it is.

I've known her 30 yrs now and it's sad watching the decline. But she's doing well enough and like I said she seemscontent and again, about the best we could hope for.

She's a lovely gracious woman and treated me like one of her own. I couldn't have asked for a better "MIL"
So sorry that all of you are going through this.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the well wishes and nice thoughts.

Someone's always got it harder, you know what I mean? I tend to be a depressive gloomy guy at times and it takes some work to see the bright side of things, but I'm getting better as I get older.

You take a few laps around life and you see a bit and that helps with getting some perspective of things. My life has been fantastically easy comparing to some people, even a couple people in our family have had a rough go of things and have been dealt a bad hand.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:04 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Very insightful Chow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships