Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I've gone through all the documentaries that seemed to interest to me, can you recommend any? And did you watch Grey Gardens yet? I really think you'd appreciate it--kinda fun yet devastating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un4ZiZ-ZLT8
I was horrified watching that grey gardens doc. LOL, I can't believe the delusions of grandeur that those women had. Living literally in squalor but were trying desperately to keep up appearances, well, as well as they could anyways.

Another thing we've seen several times is an autobiographical movie called Bar Fly. It's about the writer Charles Bukowski. In it he's living as basically a vagrant in gross fleabag flop houses in LA. He's a drunk hanging out in sleazy bars getting wasted and fighting with people. He runs errands and the like to get beer money. LOL, the first time I watched I was so repulsed at how some people living down in the muck and the gutter can live the way that they do. In the story he writes poems and short stories and submits them the various publications and he sometimes gets a little money from that too.

LOL, Charles Bukowski for those who don't know him, he's a really a crude and vulgar guy in a lot of ways, but he's an incredible writer. Bono cites him as an influence. He sorta represent the lower end working class guy I suppose IDK.

He has several books of prose/poetry along with several novels. I've read one of his books of poetry called Love is a Dog from Hell. Great writing but gritty and quite vulgar at times, but it serves a purpose. I don't think he's always vulgar for shock value, but I could be wrong.

It's funny how the content of something can be crude and vulgar, but the way he writes it really pulls something out of you, very clever in how he does it at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 02:23 PM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
I've gone through all the documentaries that seemed to interest to me, can you recommend any? And did you watch Grey Gardens yet? I really think you'd appreciate it--kinda fun yet devastating.
Here are quite a few we liked, RbccL:

The Fear of 13
Finding Vivian Maier
Tig
Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project
Somm: Into the Bottle
The Informant! (Not a documentary, but based on a true story.)

Making a Murderer
The Imposter
The Nightmare

The Drop Box
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom
The True Cost
Chuck Norris vs. Communism
Virunga
Requiem for the American Dream

The Wrecking Crew
Jaco
Keith Richards: Under the Influence
History of the Eagles
Lemmy
Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey

Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM

^^Just thought of two more:

I am Chris Farley
Muscle Shoals

Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was horrified watching that grey gardens doc. LOL, I can't believe the delusions of grandeur that those women had. Living literally in squalor but were trying desperately to keep up appearances, well, as well as they could anyways.

Another thing we've seen several times is an autobiographical movie called Bar Fly. It's about the writer Charles Bukowski. In it he's living as basically a vagrant in gross fleabag flop houses in LA....
I love that kind of story!

I think I just have a special fondness for Grey Gardens bc I watched that and the Jessica lang/drew Barrymore version (they were amazing) with my mother, sister, and daughter. So many viscous rounds of: "That's YOU!"... "Now that's you!" A little wine and a couple of cats set the mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
^^Just thought of two more:

I am Chris Farley
Muscle Shoals
Sounds good! Well now I'm all set! Marathon. Thank you so much for taking the time to think of those, what a sweet lady you are 😺
I have 2 days off starting tomorrow, and a week at the end of the month, that hasn't happened in forever! Im ready.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I love that kind of story!

I think I just have a special fondness for Grey Gardens bc I watched that and the Jessica lang/drew Barrymore version (they were amazing) with my mother, sister, and daughter. So many viscous rounds of: "That's YOU!"... "Now that's you!" A little wine and a couple of cats set the mood
I was going to mention that to you. They really were good in it, weren't they?

Lol, sounds like you guys are a lot of fun.

Quote:
Sounds good! Well now I'm all set! Marathon. Thank you so much for taking the time to think of those, what a sweet lady you are 😺
I have 2 days off starting tomorrow, and a week at the end of the month, that hasn't happened in forever! Im ready.
Enjoy your time off!

Meta, hope things went okay for you yesterday.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:33 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Awwww . . . Thanks, Sea. It went smoothly. I was exhausted, though. I got home at 4:00, ate a late lunch, was in bed by 5:30 and slept 12 hours before going to work. I'll know what's going on Friday or Monday.

* waving *

Old 03-07-2017, 05:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
Quote:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un4ZiZ-ZLT8[/url]
You should the house now; it's totally restored and on the market for $19 million!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Awwww . . . Thanks, Sea. It went smoothly. I was exhausted, though. I got home at 4:00, ate a late lunch, was in bed by 5:30 and slept 12 hours before going to work. I'll know what's going on Friday or Monday.

* waving *
Omg, poor thing. Glad it went well, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
You should the house now; it's totally restored and on the market for $19 million!
I just saw something about that online!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:44 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'll look that up and remember to get my Powerball ticket
I wouldn't be surprised if cats are still gathering, that's something you can't put a price on!😺

Old 03-07-2017, 05:54 PM

Oh, I just remembered, too, RbccL, some SNL guys did a spoof of Grey Gardens. They don't do the whole story, unfortunately, just a shortened version. It's on a collection of ones they did of different things, but you have to watch the Grey Gardens one. The collection is called "Documentary Now!" It's on Netflix. Season 1, I'm pretty sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships