Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
So you'd put your money on Giamatti over Cavill
Depends on my mood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I'm also not a fan of people talking about this in terms of value or superiority.
The problem there, though, is that leagues are ALL about superiority and ranking.

There's not a problem with noticing and acknowledging the differences people have in terms of looks, wealth, talent, etc. The problem is when we assume they all can be ranked in a consistent hierarchy.

It's an imaginary system of worthiness, a descriptive norm, that reinforces itself (because people GENERALLY tend to sort themselves similarly in terms of attractiveness anyway) but also serves as a defense mechanism.

Average guy gets rejected by a hot girl? "No big deal, it was a gamble anyway, dude." But if a girl in his own "league" rejects him? "WTF is wrong with that stuck-up *****?"

So rather than accept the fact that people like and want different things, IMHO some people think it's easier on the ego to believe in a concept of leagues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
I'd say whichever guy has the least amount of trouble getting a girlfriend who's attractive. And after a breakup, the one who takes the least amount of time to get another one.
Life isn't all about dating or romantic relationships. Far from it.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:22 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
who should feel superior: they average looking guy with a high IQ or the hot guy with a lower IQ or the average guy with tons of money?
They probably feel equally superior.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have a different one but you might be right, many people may think like that.

I have dated guys who weren't super hot. I did not feel superior or better. I don't feel superior or better than anybody because everybody has "something." If it is warm eyes, charm, humor, witt, intelligence, ...

According to your concept, who should feel superior: they average looking guy with a high IQ or the hot guy with a lower IQ or the average guy with tons of money?
Lol I'm not falling for that trap.

Lmfao.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:30 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
They probably feel equally superior.
Heyyyy, you took part of my question off to make it sound like something else and then answered.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:03 PM

68 posts, read 37,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Maybe not the majority but it's certainly happened a few times.

I see it every time I'm out in public.

I don't believe in leagues because it gives off a certain level of superiority, which I personally CANNOT stand. It's like calling someone a lesser being because they don't have XYZ or aren't seen as attractive as such and such. Some people like to call this a REALITY....but I think it's just an excuse to bring people down. That's just my opinion.
That sounds all good and all but I don't think it's entirely honest. We don't like to admit it but of course leagues exist. That's why you normally see attractive people with attractive people. And vice versa.

Some of the examples used like Lyle Lovett and Julia Roberts were poor examples. At the end of the day, they did not last.When it was over I remember everyone saying, "that they were glad it was over because she was out of his league.

If two people are more or less equal, the deciding factor would come down to who they were more attracted to. It really is that simple and it's basic biology.

Of course there are exceptions as with anything, but outside of that it's pretty much the norm.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:08 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
League? League? What league? In fact, what is this thing you call a league? I didn't know I had a league for someone to be out of, much less me. Nor should anyone else.

As Richard Bach writes in his book, Illusions, "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."

Old 01-26-2017, 01:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsydavis View Post

Some of the examples used like Lyle Lovett and Julia Roberts were poor examples. At the end of the day, they did not last.When it was over I remember everyone saying, "that they were glad it was over because she was out of his league.
Whether they last or not is not my point. I used that example because the poster feels that a woman "more attractive" than him wouldn't be interested in him. My point is that no one should sell themselves short

Old 01-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Whether they last or not is not my point. I used that example because the poster feels that a woman "more attractive" than him wouldn't be interested in him. My point is that no one should sell themselves short
Well then she might be attracted to him.Which to her, he would not be out of her league. Looks are subjective, but that doesn't diminish the reality that people mostly date people who are s imiliar in attractiveness.

Exceptions as with everything exist. For the most part, how many "two's (for lack of a more politically correct way of saying it) do you see with so called "tens?" Probably not that many.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I agree no one should sell themselves short. You dont know until you try. That still doesn't deminish this "notion" of leagues.
Wether it's real or not people usually view themselves in a certain light. Meaning, if someone sees themselves as a ten, then most likely they aren't looking to date a "two."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships