Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:47 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So I guess you dated EVERY woman who ever wanted you and lived happily ever after with all of them? You never dumped anyone, stopped calling anyone, ghosted anyone, or decided not to pursue someone because you liked another woman more?
To add to this: never considered any of the women you came across, or who expressed interest in you, too "homely" or "lame" to talk to or pursue? You have them all a fair try, @grad_student200?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 01:53 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,501,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
Options dry up, it's a reality.
It's only settling if you swing too hard/far in the first place.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:41 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Did you reject a lot of men when you were in your early 20s? Did you think some were too "homely" or "lame" and that there was someone "better"? Perhaps you are getting a taste of your own medicine years later in middle age.

Or perhaps not? I just have to ask. I know one woman who was a serial dater in the early 2000s. She was in her prime in the mid 20s and had many dating options. We hit it off but she quickly dumped me for another guy. She clearly thought that other guy was "better". Today, she is a divorced single mom in her 40s with two children. What goes around comes around.
Nope I would pretty much date whoever was in front of me and would only break up when they cheated on me or beat the crap out of me.

So I would say I was pretty fair. I have been in a relationship with about 12 different guys since I was 12 years old. I can't imagine that is a serial dater.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
I tend to be at a net loss when it comes to any type of relationship at 36. More than I care to deal with.

So someone would have to come across that would be very special for me to consider a relationship.

I'm not holding my breathe. enjoy life. There is a lot that is good about being a single man.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:56 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In order to settle, you have to have options. Settling is just another option. Think of the guys here who say they can't get women's attention, they can't get a date. How would they settle? In order to do that, one has to be able to get somebody's attention. "Settling" is for people who have the options to begin with.
Very true. You can't settle for the "lesser choice" if you have no choices.

Now, folks will say "there's no such thing," but that assumes that somebody has basically run all the possible outcomes of all possible relationships and said something like, "Oh, yeah - that woman 1 county over in the little blue house who you've never heard of and who has also given up would be your perfect wife." Yeah, sure - except she's not really an option. You're stuck among the people who are looking, generally who are in your area, and who are interested in your. That is rarely a lot of people to begin with, and one's options certainly dwindle with time and age.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:49 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Rampant unrealistic expectations aside...
it seems that few active OLD users are looking for more than dating.

Serial dating? You betcha.
Some maybe rising to serial shallow monogamy? Sure; a fair bit.
Really looking to settle in with a singular someone for the duration? Not so much.

The more that anyone has going on in their lives otherwise...
the less inclined they seem to be to look for or to expect more than some sort of seasonal arrangement.
eg: Summers coming up! Time to find someone good for beach weekends and road trips.
eg: Falls coming up! Time to find someone good for the parties and TG dinner at Mom's.
ASS makes an ass out of UnME

Old 05-10-2017, 04:18 AM

599 posts, read 693,530 times
You don't get it. As one ages options do dry up especially for my demographic, situation, and race. At the moment ONLINE DATING is not working for me anymore, not even tinder because of those things I mention. It's so frustrating because almost everyone around me are married. I'm not good at meeting men in real life. I'm not sure how long I can keep going without a life partner, without marriage. I feel like I have to settle to get this. I'm not 20 or 30 anymore, settling is a fact of life after a certain age, you can't be picky anymore. At a certain age MR.GQ OR MR.PERFECT OR MR.PERFECT FIT DOES NOT EXIST. For the most part your dealing with divorcees, overweight, And men that may have a little more baggage than you can handle.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:22 AM

599 posts, read 693,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
It's only settling if you swing too hard/far in the first place.
I'm not swinging too hard.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:38 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
You don't get it.
At a certain age MR.GQ OR MR.PERFECT OR MR.PERFECT FIT DOES NOT EXIST.
You don't 'get it"
At any age... MR/MS.PERFECT NEVER EXISTED and MR/MS PERFECT FIT is a delusion.

It's only after 5 or ten years together that the rough edges (of both partners)
can be shaved and worn down and smoothed over enough that they'll be able to really fit together.
But they still won't be "perfect". That's an illusion you delude yourself into expecting.

Quote:
For the most part your dealing with divorcees, overweight,
and (people) that may have a little more baggage than you (want to) handle.
iow... reality.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
You don't get it. As one ages options do dry up especially for my demographic, situation, and race. At the moment ONLINE DATING is not working for me anymore, not even tinder because of those things I mention. It's so frustrating because almost everyone around me are married. I'm not good at meeting men in real life. I'm not sure how long I can keep going without a life partner, without marriage. I feel like I have to settle to get this. I'm not 20 or 30 anymore, settling is a fact of life after a certain age, you can't be picky anymore. At a certain age MR.GQ OR MR.PERFECT OR MR.PERFECT FIT DOES NOT EXIST. For the most part your dealing with divorcees, overweight, And men that may have a little more baggage than you can handle.
I sympathize. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but if you want to be in a relationship that badly, then yes, you might have to settle for a decent guy who you aren't really physically attracted to. Couldn't be me though. I'd rather die alone with a house full of cats, and that's probably what will happen. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships