Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 05:34 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
LOL settle down, playa.

Seriously, there's a wide variety of women who aren't "models and co-eds." It's hard to get past the serious generalizing you're doing.

If you don't like the fish you're catching, try another spot.

You're just gonna have to try different things that will put you in proximity with a different class of people.
Well, obviously. I was just giving an example of the women who I'd probably be dating long-term.

Yeah, I've considered that. Location might be part of the issue, but I'm wondering if there hasn't been some sort of shift in people in general over say the last 10 to 20 years.

Finding girls who aren't addicted to their phones is hard enough.

As far as people in my immediate area I'm mostly around working class and the rich. Occasionally retired folks (although not helpful in the dating area--historically blind date fix ups haven't worked out for me) and creative/hip types.

My brother's friends come to mind, who as a group ask interesting questions, but without exception are dumb as dirt. Although I haven't talked to any of them for a while since I think I embarrassed my brother when I gave them a quick and easy way to settle their argument they were having as to whether or not the earth was flat...I wish I were kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Well, obviously. I was just giving an example of the women who I'd probably be dating long-term.

Yeah, I've considered that. Location might be part of the issue, but I'm wondering if there hasn't been some sort of shift in people in general over say the last 10 to 20 years.

Finding girls who aren't addicted to their phones is hard enough.

As far as people in my immediate area I'm mostly around working class and the rich. Occasionally retired folks (although not helpful in the dating area--historically blind date fix ups haven't worked out for me) and creative/hip types.

My brother's friends come to mind, who as a group ask interesting questions, but without exception are dumb as dirt. Although I haven't talked to any of them for a while since I think I embarrassed my brother when I gave them a quick and easy way to settle their argument they were having as to whether or not the earth was flat...I wish I were kidding.
I don't mean location. I mean activity.

Try different activities and places that attract a different kind of person. Apparently the places you're frequenting draw a more shallow type.

Yes, most everyone is into their phones nowadays, but it sounds like you need to do more meaningful things where other folks who desire more meaning and depth in their lives will be.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:46 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Since I got a few replies along these lines I'm thinking I haven't expressed myself correctly.

All I'm saying is most of the younger girls I've met lately seem to be either addicted to their phones, are lacking upstairs, or are extremely immature. I don't remember it being that way before, but I'm assuming part of it is the time we live in and part of it is where I'm at in my life.

And the only women I've met that are single and a bit older are single mothers. The single, older women without children have, by in large, been either nuts, turned into Jesus freaks, or are holding onto some sort of ideology that has completely ruined any chance they've had to live a happy life with someone.

More to the point I was mainly just looking for concerns dating them that would be different than dating someone who's single.

Well, my assumption is while I can still date 18 on up without any problem now there will come a time when I won't be able to do so.

Currently, as far as I know, I've only been out with one single mother. That was pretty much a disaster. She was messing with her phone on the one date. And on the other one I ended up meeting two of her kids the next morning. Oh, and she failed to mention she was married (or rather separated with an on and off thing).

I do know a couple quality women that I knew before they had kids and now are still interested.

Ideally I'd like to find someone who's old enough that they don't feel the need to go out to the club every night/weekend, but is still young enough to have her looks for a while, isn't completely nuts or empty headed. Preferably someone who's at least starting to think about getting their life together. Beyond that I don't have much of an idea.

I figure it might be an unavoidable reality at some point as one of the groups of women I tend to be attracted to and click with are Latin women and a lot of them tend to have more focus on the family and thus have kids earlier. After that mixed women, but I can't say anything generally holds true with them as a group though.

Oddly, when dating out, I've been with Asian women the most, but also had the least in common with them.

So if not single mothers then what? Just keep going to bed with models and co-eds and be satisfied with long odds on finding one that I enjoy being around beyond the bedroom? Sounds kind of lonely.
I WAS going to give a snarky answer, but then thought "Oh what the heck, let's assume he's genuinely asking."

How about taking each individual as they come. Get to know the value of the individual. It seems to me, if you don't, then you will, indeed, be very lonely.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
I've only read your opening post, Port Pitt Ash, but it sounds like you're thinking of using alternative fuel or something. Like coal is running out so you better start fracking. I'm sure it's been said, but that cognitive approach may explain any issues you have more than the availability of a particular fossil fu.....I mean women you find interesting.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:39 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
I don't date single moms.

I'm not trying to be a replacement dad figure. And I want a woman who puts me as her top priority. No good mom would do that.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:02 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I don't date single moms.

I'm not trying to be a replacement dad figure. And I want a woman who puts me as her top priority. No good mom would do that.

Actually, a good mom WOULD be able to do that, because she see's in her guy, all the values she would recognize to be good for her children.

But she will weed you out before you know it, if she perceives red flags from you.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:57 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Actually, a good mom WOULD be able to do that, because she see's in her guy, all the values she would recognize to be good for her children.

But she will weed you out before you know it, if she perceives red flags from you.
Any mom that will put me before her children isn't a woman I want to date. Kids always come first.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Who said I was proud?
In such instance, this woman was telling so many lies and changing stories that her own kids looked at her like, "Huh??" Found out sometime later that she was borderline bipolar!

So you embarrassed someone with mental problems in front of children?

As an adult, and one you seem to think is emotionally and mentally healthier than this woman, it would fall to you to keep things appropriate. Such as NOT embarrassing someone in front of their children.

Do you have any idea the kind of damage this causes children?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2017, 03:41 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I can see there would be emotional and financial issues in taking on a woman with children but many have done it and some quite successfully. It depends on the people and the situation.

My never married son (age 50) married a woman (age 35) who has an 8 year old son. They are one year into the marriage (two years into the relationship) and all are happy as pigs in mud. Of course their age/maturity has helped.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:01 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
OP,

As a single dad, my advice to you is to not date single mothers that are willing to introduce you to their children quickly. I have a rule on not personally introducing any women to my kids for 6 months. Young kids can develop attachments quickly.

Parents that are willing to introduce their children to strangers too quickly are not putting their kids first. They will put themselves before you every time. No thank you.

The poster that I quoted is an embarrassment. It's really sick that he/she derives pleasure from potentially harming children.
This. Casual dates do not need to meet the kiddos. A parent, male or female, who makes this a regular thing has spectacularly poor judgment, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships