Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 04:58 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

These are not at all mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 07:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
In my single days (years ago lol), it was pretty simple.

You'd talk to a woman either online or in person. Next, you text a little and have a short phone conversation. Then you go out for a relatively casual date. If the timeline between OLD first contact/in person contact versus the actual date is a really quick turnaround, I'd opt for a coffee date at Starbucks. If me and the woman have spent a decent amount of time talking, I'd usually go the dinner/movie route since we've already done quite a bit of talking.

Out of the several dozen women I've seen for at LEAST 2 dates, all but one ended up in my bed. Some were looking for something serious but most were just trying to play it by ear and see what happens. Everyone is different but the pattern usually went like this:

1.) Coffee Date (once in a blue moon this turns into a one-night stand)

2.) The nice date with dinner and some sort of entertainment. There's almost always a heavy make-out session with me not pushing sex but the woman consciously trying to restrain herself. The lady and I find each other attractive but I back off just a little and show respect.

3.) She's excited from date #2 and volunteers to come to my house....or bring me to hers. We don't really talk sex beforehand but it's pretty much understood what's going down.

4.) A combo of dates #2 and #3....with #2 ending early to start #3

Old 08-31-2017, 08:48 PM

728 posts, read 472,182 times
They just hook up, I think.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Different people do different things. I am surprised that a man of your age doesn't grasp that everyone is different in how they approach romance. Do you know any young people? You might be surprised at just how diverse their attitudes and experiences are. Unlike when you grew up in the '50s and '60s, there is no "cookie cutter" way of living anymore.
I know nine, in fact, five children and two stepchildren ranging in age from 28 to 47 and two grandchildren in their early 20s.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Go for it Curmudgeon, start Romancing and Wooing-- you only live once.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:25 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
I'll be 49 in two weeks. I am not a prude and have absolutely no moral issue with one night stands or hookups, it's just not right for me.

I may be old fashioned in this, but I do still believe if I genuinely like a woman and hope to spend time with her doing things beyond just knocking boots, that courting her and earning her trust and affection is a worthwhile approach.

To me that's the difference between romance and scratching an itch.

Is this considered ridiculous now? I am sure I am not alone in this.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I'll be 49 in two weeks. I am not a prude and have absolutely no moral issue with one night stands or hookups, it's just not right for me.

I may be old fashioned in this, but I do still believe if I genuinely like a woman and hope to spend time with her doing things beyond just knocking boots, that courting her and earning her trust and affection is a worthwhile approach.

To me that's the difference between romance and scratching an itch.

IMO, you're definitely on the right track here.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I know nine, in fact, five children and two stepchildren ranging in age from 28 to 47 and two grandchildren in their early 20s.
So you should know. Do they form meaningful relationships or do your kids and grandkids "hook up" and sleep around?

By the way, knowing 9 relatives under the age of 50 does not equal a large sample of young people from which to draw your stereotypes about how they approach love and romance. I suggest widening your circle.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:39 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
What makes you think it's "considered ridiculous"?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 AM

477 posts, read 314,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
So you should know. Do they form meaningful relationships or do your kids and grandkids "hook up" and sleep around?

By the way, knowing 9 relatives under the age of 50 does not equal a large sample of young people from which to draw your stereotypes about how they approach love and romance. I suggest widening your circle.
You gotta love these forums. People feel bold enough to ask rhetorical questions that they would NEVER say if that person were actually standing in front of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships