Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,442 times

Advertisements

Hook up culture isn't what you think (at least with millennials which is what I am thinking you mean by young people). It's blown out of proportion by social media.

Quote:
“The misperception that millennials have a hook-up culture may be driven by the most promiscuous members of the generation, who are now able to advertise their exploits through social media,” said lead study author Jean Twenge, a psychology researcher at San Diego State University in California...

In reality, millennials born in the 1990s are more than twice as likely to be sexually inactive as young GenX’ers born in the late 1960s...

Fifteen percent of young adults aged 20 to 24 reported having no sex since turning 18, compared with just 6 percent of the previous generation at that age, the study found...

Previous research has also found that millennials – born from the 1980s to 2000 – have fewer sexual partners than Generation X’ers or baby boomers, Twenge said. The only generation that showed a higher rate of sexual inactivity in the analysis was born in the 1920s.
Millennial 'Hookup Culture' Isn't As Pervasive As We Think | HuffPost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyhandschrump View Post
No, I don't waste my time with primitive rituals. If she's not putting out within the first week, another one will. Thankfully, men are getting smarter and aren't wasting money and time on dates like men of older generations did.
I love guys with this attitude it just circulates a lot of great women back into the pool.

I also agree with Bella, it's not near as much of a thing as people think. Most people I know in RL if not married are at the very least looking for a LTR and possibly eventually moving in together with someone... I'm speaking in regards to people between 25 and 40 or so, roundabout. I mean they may have had a couple ONS or something, but it's not something they really get prefer to get into as a lifestyle.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Go for it Curmudgeon, start Romancing and Wooing-- you only live once.
Not on your life: or actually, mine. I'm done. For one thing it's only been three and a half months since my wife passed away. Getting back into 'the game' is the furthest thing in my mind. And realistically and while I would hope that those who are of my generation are far more civil than the rude, crude and lewd comments here I still consider myself married to my wife and always will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do you ask, OP? Toying with the idea of putting yourself back out there, at some point?
My goodness, R4T, you should know me better than that by now. Are you simply, as we would say in the military, firing for effect? If so, well done. And now I am. To answer your question, not at all. But you already knew that.

Back to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'll hunker down and wait.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:06 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
I also think a lot of things are blown out of proportion by sensationalist clickbait articles that spread on social media. Some of them really annoy me, like the one that said that polyamory was "the future of relationships." What? Even as someone who is totally ok with it and has even done it, I think that's an absurd claim. But absurd claims that get people's dander up are what gets clicks, so...

And there have always been the scare stories aimed at parents and the older generations, all "look what those crazy kids are getting up to, NOW!" Whatever. Technology can facilitate some things, but human nature doesn't change overnight.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:10 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyhandschrump View Post
No, I don't waste my time with primitive rituals. If she's not putting out within the first week, another one will. Thankfully, men are getting smarter and aren't wasting money and time on dates like men of older generations did.
I bet those are some real quality women youre finding.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:11 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My goodness, R4T, you should know me better than that by now. Are you simply, as we would say in the military, firing for effect? If so, well done. And now I am. To answer your question, not at all. But you already knew that.
No, I guess I didn't know you well enough by now. Not "firing for effect" at all. I was rather surprised by your topic, though, so I was wondering.

Oh well.... ::slink::

Old 09-01-2017, 12:14 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I bet those are some real quality women youre finding.

If you're implying quality of an individual can be determined by how quickly or long they take to be comfortable in having sex with someone else, nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:15 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, I guess I didn't know you well enough by now. Not "firing for effect" at all. I was rather surprised by your topic, though, so I was wondering.

Oh well.... ::slink::
I too am wondering what's up with the topic. OP has been told by 90% of the respondents that some people still do woo and romance (and others don't) but he doesn't seem satisfied with that answer.

For someone who is out of the dating pool for life, why does it matter how other people do it?

Old 09-01-2017, 12:20 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Well, times change and things change, good bad or otherwise. I don't think that romance today as a man of your generation is the same as it was way back in the day. People "hooked up" back in the day too, it was just much much more on the down low. I think today things are much less ritualized for the most part.

People are getting marriage much later, if at all. Again, good bad or otherwise.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:22 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I too am wondering what's up with the topic. OP has been told by 90% of the respondents that some people still do woo and romance (and others don't) but he doesn't seem satisfied with that answer.

For someone who is out of the dating pool for life, why does it matter how other people do it?
Nostalgia, maybe? Reminiscing about his own experience, and how it contrasts to what's in the media, these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships