Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,277,315 times

Advertisements

Hey so I'm 30 years old. I'm turning 31 next month. As much as it's hard for me to tell people this, I've been single for 9 years. It's really embarrassing. I've always struggled in dating. So much so that I am a believer that women just aren't in to me (at least in the state I live in). I've had some girls interested in me, but I wasn't really into them. My parents are nearing 70 years old. I feel like a failure because I wasn't able to find someone special, have a small family, and give my parents grandchildren. They don't pressure me about it, to be clear. I just feel like maybe they were hoping for a grandchild some day. I just don't see it happening in the future because of my dating shortcomings. It's painful to think about and accept. Does anyone else ever feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 04:11 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,277,315 times
P.S. I'm doing ok in my career and other things, not many friends though. Sometimes loneliness sets in and I get angry, sad, and generally emotional (but I don't cry lol).

Old 06-27-2018, 04:17 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
What's holding you back from having a social circle/network? Are you a shy/awkward engineer type?

Old 06-27-2018, 04:18 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
It took me forever, too. Sometimes you question yourself and wonder what’s wrong.

Who knows what it is, if anything? Best advice I have is to expand your horizons. Your perfect match might be hiding in plain sight. Atlanta is a big place. Sometimes all you have to do is change your social circle a bit. Let the people you trust know you’re looking to date someone, hopefully long term. Word gets out.

Women are also feeling it’s too hard to find their man. It’s not a simple equation. Keep your head up and try to be good to yourself. It’ll happen.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:18 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
What did you do to find a gf, did you actively look for someone? Are you going out, doing stuff, where you can meet people?
Why do you think you are single for so long?

Yeah, I never thought I will be single at 41.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
I was going to ask this too ^ ...are you shy? If so, you're less alone than you think. I promise you.

Maybe you can give a few details? How have you been trying to meet women?

Please don't feel like a failure. I really doubt that's true. It isn't always easy finding someone who's right for us. It can take a while. But especially if we don't put ourselves out there and for some people that can be pretty hard.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
I would drop the feeling that you have let your parents down because you have not had children. It is not your responsibility to provide grandchildren. That is not a goal that needs to occupy your mind and feelings, dwelling on provision of grandchildren for your parents.

Many people do not have children - your parents have their own life - you need to live your life the best you can with your particular personality.

Some people have little success in dating or acquiring a spouse. It happens. Just enjoy each day of life as much as you can. You are still very young at 30 and anything can happen.

Concentrate on acquiring and cultivating as many interests as you can - multiple interests in life is one key to a good life.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:35 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Hey so I'm 30 years old. I'm turning 31 next month. As much as it's hard for me to tell people this, I've been single for 9 years. It's really embarrassing. I've always struggled in dating. So much so that I am a believer that women just aren't in to me (at least in the state I live in). I've had some girls interested in me, but I wasn't really into them. My parents are nearing 70 years old. I feel like a failure because I wasn't able to find someone special, have a small family, and give my parents grandchildren. They don't pressure me about it, to be clear. I just feel like maybe they were hoping for a grandchild some day. I just don't see it happening in the future because of my dating shortcomings. It's painful to think about and accept. Does anyone else ever feel this way?
Well, same for me. Technically, I’ve been single all my life but the last time I had a boyfriend was in 2009. Sure I’ve been on many dates during the past nine years but I agree that it’s embarrassing. When someone asks when was your last relationship, you can’t directly answer the question. You have to be like “Oh, it was a while ago” or “a few years ago.” lol All I can say is that I hope your relationship drought ends soon and there’s still time for you to start a family if that’s what you want. We can’t all do things on the same timeline.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:41 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,357 times
You could try posting a picture for us. That way we can critique your clothing, hairstyle, etc.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:43 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
You could try posting a picture for us. That way we can critique your clothing, hairstyle, etc.

No....just no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships